Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,009 Words
  • 599 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Nekromancer - 97. Chapter 97

It was like stepping through a portal. One moment they were in the bright light of day, but one icy step in and they were in a strange torchlit tunnel, not unlike the paths within the Ebon Mausoleum. Jakun shook off the momentary disorientation, checking up briefly on Jeremy. The cleric had fallen through the portal, sitting on the ground with a dazed look. He took Jakun’s offered hand, pulling himself up, and the catfolk patted his shoulder awkwardly.

“Try to keep to your feet. A moment spent rising is when they’ll kill you.”

Jeremy nodded, his eyes looking around nervously. Jakun could understand his fear; the tunnel they found themselves in was narrow and low, almost cramped. Even the torchlight was not enough to fully drive away all the shadows. It was not a pleasant start to their journey, but Jakun pushed his feelings away as he looked ahead.

A huge sandy cat sat near the end of the hall, golden eyes watching their every move. Jakun couldn’t help the feeling of being judged; those eyes seemed to penetrate right through his being, catlike on a human’s face. He had heard of sphinxes before, but had never hoped to meet one. And yet here one stood, patiently observing them both.

“Is that a lion?” Jeremy asked, touching the hilt of his sword.

Jakun pushed the blade back into Jeremy’s sheath carefully, shaking his head.

“Sphinx. Don’t anger her, this is not a fight we want, or need.”

He approached slowly, ears lowering almost submissively as he bowed before the mighty creature. She was at least as big as Ivris had been, the sandstone walls around her opening to accommodate her size. Through her paws, Jakun could see a wooden door, presumably the path they needed to take.

“Greeting Lady of the Sands. We seek passage deeper into the cathedral,” Jakun said loudly.

“A lich? It has been aeons since one of your kind has dared to face these trials,” the sphinx said. “And for one so young and fresh. You are indecisive, your mind eager for any shred of power. Or is it knowledge that you seek?”

“I would like to think both, my lady,” Jakun said, his ears flicking in mild annoyance at being read so easily.

“Are you going to attack us?” Jeremy demanded beside him.

The sphinx yawned widely, showing off rows of sharp teeth, her breath reeking of thousands of years of life.

“Perhaps. Is a fight what you desire human? Passing through the door will not make you any less of a human, nor any more of a deity. Who are you? What kind of god would you be if you survive? There will be those who worship your corpse regardless. Fools, each and every one of them. The dead do not answer prayers.”

“We do not seek a fight my lady, merely passage deeper into the trials,” Jakun replied, shooting a glare at Jeremy.

“I once served Nethys himself, before Aroden persuaded me to guard this place. He gave me a respect for the mad, the unknowable. It is a simple task I require, one to test your wisdom, not your intellect. When you speak my name, I vanish. What is it I speak of? Answer this, and you may freely pass.”

“A riddle? So you’re not going to eat us?” Jeremy said, not a little relief rushing through the cleric. “Not that I want you to eat me, I only let men eat me, and you aren’t a man…”

“I might still. It depends, perhaps I will merely block your path and we shall converse until you are dust. Your friend could easily leave at any time, though he will not be permitted to ever return, regardless of how often he tries,” the sphinx replied. “Of course, if you wish to be eaten, I can assure you that many of the beasts within would be glad to assist you.”

Jakun’s mind was working hard, trying to puzzle out the answer. He had never bothered with riddles, the uncertain had no place in being a slave. Either your name was called and you came, or you were beaten when found. You did not vanish when called.

“I often vanished when Amnor Sen searched for me,” Jeremy chuckled ruefully. “He liked to take away my ale.”

“Jeremy, silence,” Jakun said roughly. “If you give the wrong answer, even by… mistake…”

He paused, listening to his words echoing off the walls, fading away slowly until all that was left was silence. A silence that fled as he spoke.

“It… It is silence… When you say silence, the room is no longer silent.”

The sphinx nodded, a small smile on her face.

“It is always a delight to see people work that out. They can sit in a room full of it and never have a clue,” she laughed.

“It was… enjoyable to work out. Perhaps someday I can return and you can ask me another one?” Jakun offered.

“Alas, my memory is not the best,” the sphinx sighed. “I will barely remember your name; this meeting is not significant enough to remain in my mind.”

“That is truly a shame. I will remember our meeting for a long while,” Jakun smiled sadly.

“But… you never asked our names,” Jeremy frowned.

“No, but I know you are Jeremy. Your friend told me all I needed to hear,” the sphinx replied with a smile. “Listen to the world around you and you may gain understanding. Violence can be the answer, but more often, you will find that wisdom will win the day. You may both pass, and good luck.”

She stepped aside, granting access to the door, and Jeremy darted forward, his hand gripping the handle. Jakun bowed to the sphinx again before following the cleric, his tail flicking with constrained excitement. The first test was finished, and he didn’t know how many more there would be, but if they were like this one, all he had to do was have a little patience.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, IkeNeko said:

Isn’t it kinda unfair to let them do it together? 

If the gods cared at all for fairness, there wouldn't be a trial to begin with.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Yeoldebard said:

If the gods cared at all for fairness, there wouldn't be a trial to begin with.

No trial seems unfair either though. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..