Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

CJ's Rant

Sorry, as a lot of people I sure that enjoy reading your story and others, we get caught up in our lives and forget to acknowledge people who bring us great pleasure. I have been a reader since day one and of all of your stories, please don't stop. I'll try to be better letting you know how much appreciated you are.

I need my Monday fixes......

• Like 2

Okay so I have not even read the latest chapter yet I have stopped after reading your plea, I have offered a few comments, but it is never enough and I am sorry. I have to say I am conflicted I want to both encourage and discourage you. Say what! I hear you say!!Please please please forge on this story is great. Please please please don't stop. but on the other hand Whine ahead Please don't finish, I/We love the characters and they have become like comfortable old friends, More forever, I know it will end but .... big sigh ...... okay then at least another story after this oneOkay I can't pen more until I have read the latest. Rants!Posted Image raves!Posted Image talks to self! Posted Image COME ON ENCOURAGING PEOPLE.!!Posted Image crank up those keyboard!Posted Image

P.S. yours are the only stories I have ever commented on on GA.!!!! That should tell you just how much I appreciate you!!!!Right time to read!!

Edited by cd00nz

Sorry you are not getting enough feedback; think Circumnavigation is a GREAT story; been following since the beginning; tempted to write when updates slowed but did not want to be pushy incase you were dealin with a family or personal situation, Hope you can see your way to the end....................and further.

Charles Ross

As an author's husband, I am particularly bad about writing out authors - and I KNOW how important it is. I DO very much enjoy your writing - I can't tell you the number of times that I've gone back and re-read sections of Let the Music Play and Changing Lanes. I really love your characterizations of Trev, Shane, Lisa, Joel and so many others in the story - and the brilliant evil of Bridget.

So Posted Image to a fantastic author and I'll try to be better, not only with you, but with other authors I read...

Just know that I am properly spanked and repentant. Have loved this story from the beginning. Trev's trip across the Indian Ocean is one of the most harrowing things I have read, certainly out-Mobys Dick.. I eat breakfast to each new chapter on Tuesdays and lose my appetite when there's a lapse.. I have always opposed capital punishment but hope we will be able gleefuly to stand by and watchTrevor's nemesis (can't even stand to write her name) die in agony. Please, Please don't leave us hanging.

In truth, writers write because they have no choice. Also writers write because they want to be read, otherwise their work becomes their private journal. To threaten to withhold posting the last chapters is a form of sandbox coercion.

I've read every word of this story because I've thought you were a great storyteller. Your characters have been believable and your plot line unexpected. You don't need me to tell you that. You already know your skills and weaknesses.

If you need the babble of the masses to help you finish, maybe my estimation of your passion has been misplaced.

For what it's worth, I'll be disappointed if you don't finish and post.

• Like 1

CJ: I agree with Stanollie, "Trev's trip across the Indian Ocean is one of the most harrowing things I have read, certainly out-Mobys Dick."

I've never read a more gripping description of drowning than Trevor's torture at the pirate's hands. And the same for his recovery, returning to his boat, and being left adrift with almost nothing to aid his survival. I shivered while reading his days on the South Indian Ocean.

I share cc00nz conflictedness (if that's a word). I too desire both a shorter and a longer story. It doesn't make sense except that I want to see Trevor and Shane safe at the end of the story; and I want to keep in touch with their lives as they prosper in their charter business, possibly in another story.

Thanks.

Please no hiatus now! I'm so ready for the story's epic conclusion!

I think your subconscious desire to get to a million words might have hurt the story a bit. I probably commented on this before, but Trevor's been in Australia for 80 chapters now, and I don't think I can take any more of his travel logs. Posted Image I always pay much more attention when any of the other characters are in the picture, because then it means the story is actually moving.

But the slow pace of Circumnavigation is also one of its charms, and it makes the action more exciting, when it does happen. So I can't wait for Bridget to make her final move. Don't be discouraged and keep writing! We all love the story and you.

Hi CJ;

Great 'rant' and well said. I have been guilty of not participating in most discussion forums, but I will say that I have enjoyed 'Circumnavigation' since the very first chapter. It is well written, your characters are very well developed and this story has all the makings of a great movie or even a TV series. There is enough friendship, enmity, subterfuge, good and evil to fill a full season's episodes. I really think you should look into developing this for either a TV show, a movie, or a trilogy of movies. A single movie would not allow enough time for all of the twists and turns.

So, this message is to let you know that I'll keep reading and I hope you keep writing. You, Mark Arbour, Jamie Savik, Rick Beck, Sequoyah and many of the others on Awesome Dude, and Gay Authors are some of my favorite writers of any genre.

On Circumnavigation, the characters of Lisa and Joel need to be seriously spanked and shut down by their parents. They get in the way of the rest of the story line, in my opinion.

Again, it's great writing that I come back to time and time again and you provide it.

thanks and safe travels,

Skyfowler@usa.net

• Like 2

CJ

I Think that you not Writting anymore would be devistation for us readers. I dont read every chapter as soon as it comes out. I wait untill I have atleast 3 chapters to stay in the correct thought process of the storylines, the flow. I found I seem to remeber more about the story than and can dwell on some of the low points as well the highpoints with a recovery :). Do not give up writting that would be the worst mistake yopu could do.

"For the Love" was Great and showed the wisdomw in constructing a story with imagination and a plethuria of factual information just like Circumnavigation.

Jim M.

MMM. Not good to go begging.

The story is good - otherwise it wouldn't be here, and neither would I. I've been reading each week (Tuesday evening) for me for many weeks/months/years even it feels like, and the story is an old familiar friend.

I havent read anything else of yours, yet !

I would have preferred longer, less frequent chapters, but reading this weekly has been very enjoyable.

Posted Image ....................Actually I think it is quite rude not to comment on a story, the author is giving his sweat and time into writing to us freely. To acknowledge this is just common courtesy. Besides, I'm such a Yenta! Posted Image Edited by Benji
  • Like 1

CJ, I admit that I do not post nearly as often as I should. And of course that is being somewhat mean - as you say ; you are doing your half of the bargain - I should do mine.

it is interesting that you say that while comments on your stories have dropped off, it is not you alone. I only follow a couple of authors here and my commenting has dropped off with all. I had no idea I was part of a general movement!

but back to you and your story. . I am so impressed not only with the writing, but that you are brave enough to put it out there. I may write, but I am no where near courageous enough to let anyone (even my partner) read it. So even before I read anything I was impressed that you are prepared to put yourself on the line for us great unwashed to paw, pick over, disect and generally play with. Haveing got over that aspect I am also impressed by your writing.I have loved the story ever since day 1. the characters, the injudicious use of cliffies, the twisted yet not fantastical plot, your knowledge of sailing, particularly along bizarre bits of the Australian coast and your ability to describe wih tortuous accuracy what it must feel like to all-but drown, be attacked by pirates, to find your "dead" mother etc.

I am simply in awe of your skills. So bloody keep writing, OK? I promise - if you do, I will.

• Like 1

Yup, I'm another guilty one that doesn't post thanks nearly enough. I started reading this from almost the beginning and like many others this has been the hightlight of my Tuesdays. I'm sad to see this ending but I can only wonder when the sequel will start!

CJ...I have only been a member a short time and found your story on one of my first "adventures" here at GA. I read every word of every chapter over about 2 days and have been looking forward to each new chapter with great anticipation.

I feel like I know these characters and love to "root" for Trevor and Shane and "boo" at Brigitte and the Cartel. I enjoy all the relationships and the characters are so well thought out and fleshed out.

My coming out was not as easy as some others, although I wasn't driven to a solo voyage around the world. Seeing the difficulty that Trevor had and the need to hide his true feelings touched my heart deeply.

I am a selfish man in some respects and I don't want to see Trevor's story end though I know all good things must come to a conclusion. Please know that, even though this is my first post, it won't be my last!!!

Yup, I'm another guilty one that doesn't post thanks nearly enough. I started reading this from almost the beginning and like many others this has been the hightlight of my Tuesdays. I'm sad to see this ending but I can only wonder when the sequel will start!

Posted Image ................As long as this story was, I'm not sure will be a sequel. However, I do know that his next story will be a sequel to 'For the Love' (where Evil little Eric resides) I suggest you read that, it is funny as well as entertaining kinda of a poke of the Dukes of Hazard in a way.

I don't post because I don't have time. I think this is a great story - let there no be no doubt about that. But I have my complaints, and I've refrained from spouting off, because it really is your story to tell.

But you've given me the opportunity, so...

I don't have time because I can pretty much skip a good three chapters and not lose any of the essentials of the story. Maybe I mean I don't have the patience. You're moving people around on the chessboard, but no pawns are taken, there's no 'check'. The last really major event in this story was the beheading of the mob boss, some ten chapters ago or so. Everything since then has been "Bridget reads a fax" - "Gray drives a car with Trevor in it" - "Rachel and Martin sail around awhile" - "Shane takes off his shirt". That's all great, but I want to read how the boy who had weights tied to him as he sank under the water, with his boat adrift above him, finally gets his revenge.

I think you've gotten too wrapped up in the detail in this story. I think its neat that there are a lot of plot devices in play, that there are a lot of interesting little details to plot out - if I had a calendar and a sextant and a spreadsheet to keep track of it all, and the time I'd need to really figure out where all the little niff-naw details are going to all suddenly come together and make something happen.

You say there are five chapters left. I think it's closer to fifteen, because all these details need their own exposition and their own storylines to track, and while I think it's great that a diver under Atlantis found the zinc anode, I know that an experienced diver has spent some time around boats, and you don't need a forensic expert to diagnose that Atlantis is basically a new boat. Two lines:

"What did you find?"

"The fiberglass is really clean, the glass is new, the running gear is all new. The sails still have creases. That boat hasn't been in the water long".

- would have sufficed to let Gray deduce that Trevor is sailing a boat that's pretty much a total refit. CJ, that's one stroll down a dock to deduce the condition of the boat. The ropes would be very clean, and neatly faked out on the dock, and very twisty because they just came out of the bag. The boat would be tidy and clean, as a very proud boat owner would want to show off their prowess and their shiny new boat. The running gear - lines, bumpers, the zodiac, is all new, and that would be very apparent to someone whose been around a marina - especially a diver.

But you turned it into a full paragraph of exposition about scratches on locks. Why did you handle it that way? I think you did that specifically so you could string out the story with the bubble trail and throw in an unnecessary cliffhanger. Tension in a story is a great thing, but when it's done with such a targeted, specific reason - string the reader along - it becomes tedious. It's a lot like the news broadcast telling me I need to tune in after the break to find the criminal in my neighborhood. Cliffhangers are fun - once in a while, used in moderation. Not every chapter has to string me along - I've been reading for 135 chapters, it's not like a quiet end to a chapter is going to stop me now.

Almost a million words, and if you really look at what's gone on in each chapter and ask "what happened in this chapter?" the answer is usually "not much".

Turn it into a web serial, which has no end, but is the "continuing adventures of Trevor and Shane". Write as many cliffies as you want in that environment.

You're at 143 chapters before its finished, at least.

Finish it. And then you will get a really great bit of review from me. As it is, I'm a little tired of catamarans floating around Australia while somebody reads a fax in Bermuda.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD

Okay, CJ, I'm one of the jerks that reads and enjoys, but doesn't quite get around to thanking you, and other fine authors, for their wonderful work. But, I will turn over a new leaf with this post and say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this story from the start, and eagerly await each new chapter. Haven't quite decided if I forgive you yet for the abuse poor Trevor was subjected to between the pirates and landfall. I have done some deep water sailing and each of those chapters were anguishing! (Okay, I really did forgive you !)

This has been a great story, THANK YOU ! ! !

Doug

• Like 1
Guest Mark1962

Ive been reading the story awhile now. I really do like the progress of it. I feel its become more refined since the beginning. How bridget has developed is actually my favorite part. while shes bad as they come, still you have given her an intelligence that is amazing an how you have written her has become to me the best part. Id almost want another story line just dealing with her an her future and where she goes. Ill miss Trevor an Shane, it would be nice to have another story dealing with their future also, but I know the book has to end sometime. Ill miss my weekly reading once the story is ended. thanks.

Okay, CJ, you've shamed me into writing a response, but not a review (that will come at the conclusion of the story).

Circumnavigation is the single most frustrating story I've ever read. Why? Because when I get to the end of a chapter there's no other chapter to read. I have to wait an interminable amount of time, most often a whole week, sometimes even much longer, and be miserable wondering what's going to happen to Trev and Shane, what the Queen Bitch Bridget has up her sleeves, and most recently what new total idiocy that Joel and Lisa are getting themselves into. I can just imagine what it's going to be like if Bridget attends their wedding.

On reflection, I certainly hope Bridget does attend the wedding. That increases the likelihood of someone dying. So far the body count in Circumnavigation has been sorely lacking. We want dead bodies! With Bridget on the top of the pile! Or maybe Bridget can take Joel and Lisa to the pier to throw them to the alligators, and Lisa trips her and the Queen Bitch slips on the wet dock (I picture it raining) and ends up in the water herself. That would be simply delicious. On the other hand, eating her would probably make the alligators sick.

So here you have the best piracy and escape scenes of any story ever, Trevor surviving by using his wits, canned hot dogs, and some very good luck. Then Joel, who's the same age as Trevor and should be as smart as he is, and he and Lisa start spreading fliers around the Bahamas? With Bridget's picture on them? And claims she has Alzheimer's Disease? And that she's their relative? Has he reverted mentally to when he was twelve years old? I hope Robert locks them into separate rooms and feeds them nothing but toaster pastries and cheese curls and water until he gets his computers back.

Oh, did I mention that I love Circumnavigation, with all of its frustrations and cliffhangers included. Keep it coming until it's finished, then stop. You will, at that point, be inundated with email commentary and reviews and offers for publication.

Colin Posted Image

Edited by colinian

Mr. James,

I always feel I don’t express myself as well as I should when I write, but I could have at least sent a simple, “Thank you for your wonderful story” every so often.

Praise is small currency for such great works. Circumnavigation has been entertaining, intriguing, thought provoking, and extremely educational. Thank you for sharing this work with us.

My home is in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, at least fifteen hundred miles from the nearest ocean, and I know absolutely nothing about sailing the seas, but your story has made me interested enough to want to try it. Your vivid description of Trevor’s voyage across the great Southern Ocean was exciting, down-right scary, and utterly believable. You are obviously well trained in naval concepts and sciences, but you are able to convey your knowledge in easily understood terms within the story without being trite or boring. It is damn good writing.

I look forward to reading you stories for many years to come.

Again, thank you,

Vin

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..