Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

Okay... all done and sent back... had more problems with my email... hopefully you got the edited version... checked the 'sent' one and it had the corrections... great chapter... I think it could end there if you want... sent you another chapter suggestion... G-man

Here's a heads-up for Jay & Miles readers!

Earlier in the year, AC Benus asked me if he could 'borrow' my two boys for a story, and I agreed, wondering how he'd do it and what context it would be in. I just got a note from him saying he ws going to post the first part in a day or so. It seems he's posted a preview, but since I have very little luck finding things on here, I'll let him supply the link and tell you about the story.

It's set in 1976, which is why he asked to borrow them, so he'll tell you about Katie's Sketchbook....

• Like 3

Here's a heads-up for Jay & Miles readers!

Earlier in the year, AC Benus asked me if he could 'borrow' my two boys for a story, and I agreed, wondering how he'd do it and what context it would be in. I just got a note from him saying he ws going to post the first part in a day or so. It seems he's posted a preview, but since I have very little luck finding things on here, I'll let him supply the link and tell you about the story.

It's set in 1976, which is why he asked to borrow them, so he'll tell you about Katie's Sketchbook....

Thanks, CG-Man!

To your readers, I'll say this, ColumbusGuy is being a bit modest here, as usual :yes: We actually collaborated on the Jay and Miles content in my upcoming novella. I basically sketched where I thought the dialogue and descriptions would go, and he wrote them.

It was great fun working together like that, and actually, when he comes to write the build-up to Thanksgiving and the boys' holiday season for 1976, I hope he'll let me return the favor. I can contribute to how I think Miles' Cousin Sloan will react to meeting Jay and learning they are a couple. 

Here's the preview with an extended extract for the piece. I look to start posting it in a few days. And OH! Don’t forget to take a peek in the story's photo gallery either. :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 4

I've just seen that you posted it already... at 3 this afternoon...

Never fear, G-Man, I'm going to go through it with your edits in hand...you always find things I miss. :)

I hope tomorrow is better for you!

I shall read it when you're done. :)

You're a very lucky man CG.  I remember only a short time ago when one of Tim's authors posted a chapter without waiting for his edits.  There was some  :angry:  :pissed: and  :fight: on his forum.  :o

• Like 2

Hey Lit! I am lucky--blessed with such a patient and generous beta reader...even if he does like hockey and baseball. :) At least we share a fondness for maple syrupy souls!

I must have had some sort of seizure writing that chapter for Tales--only 2200 words or so, and I think there were at least a score of comma errors. I'm not usually that bad--but at least he's not riding my ass about exclamation points now. :P

Just teasing G-Man! hehehe.

• Like 1

Hey Lit! I am lucky--blessed with such a patient and generous beta reader...even if he does like hockey and baseball. :) At least we share a fondness for maple syrupy souls!tc etc

I must have had some sort of seizure writing that chapter for Tales--only 2200 words or so, and I think there were at least a score of comma errors. I'm not usually that bad--but at least he's not riding my ass about exclamation points now. :P

Just teasing G-Man! hehehe.

lol he is a great Editor.  

He only Beta reads for you?  I thought you said he checked for spelling and punctuation, and whatnot?  Any beta reading I've done (off site) I only ever checked how a chapter flowed, did it make sense for a character to say or do something, etc. ... I never actually did any editing of grammar or punctuation.  

• Like 1

Oh my god--you mean I've been overworking him?! When I first asked him to look at my stuff, he returned it with those types of suggestions--I thought that was how it worked! He's gonna want a raise! Maybe he won't read this...fingers crossed. :)

• Like 3

Hey everybody--I'm awake too. At least someone is writing.

I spent most of yesterday staring at my blank document, trying to figure out how to start Chapter 37 of Jay & Miles. Then added a pic which will appear in it...then went back to staring at it again. Total words so far: 0.

It could start anywhere...I know some of what I want in it, but who tells it, and where do they stop? I have hinted at enough things so that almost a whole chapter could be from one couple's viewpoint, and none of the others would be mentioned past the initial lunch. Sigh.

I suggest you start writing the scenes in your head and worry about connecting them later.

• Like 1

Just a heads up--Chapter 37 has begun after more than a day of staring at white pixels. It's entirely not where I'd been thinking of starting, and not the person I had thought would want to lead off, but it's moving. 300 words in ten minutes, not too bad.

• Like 2

I think that would work for a lot of people, Tim...but I'm not sure about me--I'm sort of compulsive in that I have to know where things are going to be in advance, so the framework is pretty important. If I tried to connect scenes independently, we'd probably not have had Finn...he just came into the flow.

Read it and reviewed it after taking my meds...I'd forgotten how AC weaves his magic--coming up on the Christmas season, this just gets me all jazzed up for it.

It's awesome, but all I did was fill in a few spots where he wanted the boys to do stuff, he worked that in, and that's where the magic is. We had a minor discussion about coffee...I hate the stuff and said Miles would never drink it--he's a tea person through and through. :)

Gotta try that coffee cake recipe though--I'm sure it works with tea too.

• Like 2

OMG buddy, I just read the J&M chapter in AC's new story. :D:heart::worship:

It's bloody fantastic !!!!!!!

Thanks for the comment, Tim. Make sure you see my reply to CG's downplay of his involvement... 

:glomp: :glomp: :glomp:

• Like 1

Read it and reviewed it after taking my meds...I'd forgotten how AC weaves his magic--coming up on the Christmas season, this just gets me all jazzed up for it.

It's awesome, but all I did was fill in a few spots where he wanted the boys to do stuff, he worked that in, and that's where the magic is. We had a minor discussion about coffee...I hate the stuff and said Miles would never drink it--he's a tea person through and through. :)

Gotta try that coffee cake recipe though--I'm sure it works with tea too.

Thanks, ColumbusGuy. I remember the coffee/tea discussion, but I also have the word docs with magenta-colored 'ink' to show all of your contributions. Let's just say, you may down play your involvement a little bit, but it was critically important. 

Your boys are the model and compass-bearing for Slaon's troubled heart to work through his issues. This Katie story would be nothing without their involvement, so thank you from the bottom of my heart!

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

• Like 3

Well, speechless over here, AC. Who am I to argue with a Promising Author, and a good friend? I write JM as I'd wished my high school years could have been. Who knows, if I'd taken up the same invitation that Miles was offered, it might have gone this way, or it might at least have gotten me a temporary boyfriend.

I'm glad you could use them and grateful that you used them with the same concern and respect I do.

Speaking of, Chapter 37 is now at 1,000 words...moving right along and about to enter a scene change and a new POV. Six possible views, three different scenarios...makes me wish I wasn't telling this whole thing in fist person. :)

• Like 3