O. Henry Short Story Prompt 2 – The Last Leaf

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: See my opening remarks on the purpose and intent of this prompt series here.

As always, feel free to alter the characters' genders or ages if you like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

O. Henry Short Story Prompt 2 – The Last Leaf

Sue and Johnsy (nickname for Joanna) are a young couple. They live in a small walk-up apartment in a Bohemian part of the city – which means dirt-poor. They are artists and survive hand to mouth by selling works to publishers and people on the streets.

At the start of autumn, Johnsy falls ill with a fever. Sue tries to nurse her as best she can, but calls in a doctor. The doctor says the young woman's problem is mainly a loss of the will to fight on.

In a bedside scene, Sue cites all the reasons Johnsy has to live, and mentions specifically her lifelong wish to see and paint the Bay of Naples. It's no good; Johnsy has gained a morbid obsession she tells her partner about. Out one of their bedroom windows is the wall of the building next door, upon which clings a mature ivy vine. Johnsy says that once the final leaf falls, so will her life on earth.

Sue tells her to rest, and redoubles her efforts to paint and get some money for medicine and healthy food. She pops downstairs to enlist the help of their German neighbor, Old Behrman. He is a painter too, with a Moses-like appearance, but an alcoholic who laments never painting his 'masterpiece.' Sue tells him about the ivy Johnsy has on her mind, and the man scoffs. Nevertheless, he agrees and goes upstairs so Sue can paint him in their bedroom while she keeps an eye on her sick partner.

Days go by. Johnsy only grows worse, and the weather turns cold and blustery. One by one the ivy leaves fall, until one morning, letting the shade up, the couple sees only one remaining. They fear for the worst, but Sue has sold her painting of Behrman and gotten good food and medicine.

The next morning, even though the night had been stormy, the leaf is still there; it tenaciously hangs on. After a few more mornings like this, Johnsy revives with the nutritious sustenance (along with tireless love and care), and says her obsession was silly. Besides that, she has plenty to live for, not the least of which is painting the Bay of Naples alongside her spouse.

Later that day, horrible news comes that Old Behrman has been taken to the hospital with a fever and pneumonia. He's not expected to live through the night.

The prompt: write your own version of this story and provide a twist that explains how the Last Leaf was able to save Johnsy's life.                 

If you want to know what O. Henry's 'twist' is, PM me and I will tell you. Otherwise, try to devise your own.    

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

I look forward to seeing what your stories will be like. I'll be able to read them at once, since I know I'll never be able to come up with something for this set-up. ;)

I think this concept of prompts is awesome, AC. Truly a challenge.

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing what your stories will be like. I'll be able to read them at once, since I know I'll never be able to come up with something for this set-up. ;)

I think this concept of prompts is awesome, AC. Truly a challenge.

I have some ideas floating around...just on the edge, still a little blurry but i hope they'll come into focus soon. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

...well....seems i made this one to difficult...? talk to me folks... too hard?

No not hard... too many poems in April ... and well i had 2 weeks of a sick dog and after a few days i didnt feel like writing.. but I've got a page done of the Last Leaf ... 

• Like 1

No not hard... too many poems in April ... and well i had 2 weeks of a sick dog and after a few days i didnt feel like writing.. but I've got a page done of the Last Leaf ... 

YAY!!!

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

...well....seems i made this one to difficult...? talk to me folks... too hard?

I don't think it's too hard.  I have an idea, I just haven't had time to write it. 

• Like 2

Thanks to Defiance19 for being brave and posting the first one! Check it out if you have not already :yes:

I liked it and I wish I could have seen the painting of Behrman as a fisherman. Somehow I imagine him looking like one of those Fishermen of Skagen, which were painted by the Danish painters P.S. Krøyer and Michael Ancher.

• Like 3

Thanks to Defiance19 for being brave and posting the first one! Check it out of you have not already :yes:

Brave indeed.. Thanks for the nudge.. 

I liked it and I wish I could have seen the painting of Behrman as a fisherman. Somehow I imagine him looking like one of those Fishermen of Skagen, which were painted by the Danish painters P.S. Krøyer and Michael Ancher.

Thanks Tim. I like the images, they are perfectly suited I think.. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Lol, yesssss finally... you can read my version of The Last Leaf here

Thanks for posting this! One of the reasons I like O. Henry's Last Leaf so much is the balance he achieves. You have done something very similar, and I think it's awesome. 

Thank you for talking the prompt challenge. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this! One of the reasons I like O. Henry's Last Leaf so much is the balance he achieves. You have done something very similar, and I think it's awesome. 

Thank you for talking the prompt challenge. :)

Gosh thanks AC... I think I need to read the real thing... oh and thanks for the awesome review!!

• Like 1

Here is the story. This is the text version I prefer, as the man had to write one short story every week to fulfill his contract, it's the second version he generated for a book edition that gave him more chances to 'clean up.' 

The Last Leaf

• Like 2

Here is the story. This is the text version I prefer, as the man had to write one short story every week to fulfill his contract, it's the second version he generated for a book edition that gave him more chances to 'clean up.' 

The Last Leaf

So I'm going to read this one, be interesting to see how he thinks, crafts the story. I think that's what I'm learning from these prompts, that I need to put more time into moulding it... which I think i did with my last one. I think that thinking about what I'm doing and where I'm going makes a big difference. 

• Like 3

So I'm going to read this one, be interesting to see how he thinks, crafts the story. I think that's what I'm learning from these prompts, that I need to put more time into moulding it... which I think i did with my last one. I think that thinking about what I'm doing and where I'm going makes a big difference. 

:) :) :)

• Like 1

The Last Leaf

Oh, oh oh! How wonderful, it's a lovely story! K, time to sleep...
  • Like 2