Love Like Lithium

I'm probably in the wrong forum, but here goes.

I added my story a few months back, but it was rubbish so I took it off and rewrote it.

Unfortunately, it's still equally (if not more) rubbish, but I was just wondering what you thought.

Plus, I was considering writing more for this story, or do you think I should just leave it where it is?

Love Like Lithium

• Site Administrator

I agree. There are some things that can be improved, but all the basics are there. The story idea -- what I think is the most difficult part of the writing process -- is solid and strong. Don't give up :)

I agree with what was already said. It's a good short story, exploring a mental condition. Maybe a few "he" should be replaced with the actual first noun, since it doesn't seem to be the purpose to confuse the reader, but whether Laurie is real, a ghost or an "imaginary friend" is better left untold. Get an editor. It helps a lot to get rid of all these minor problems. Otherwise, well, just go for it and write! :D

I agree with what was already said. It's a good short story, exploring a mental condition. Maybe a few "he" should be replaced with the actual first noun, since it doesn't seem to be the purpose to confuse the reader, but whether Laurie is real, a ghost or an "imaginary friend" is better left untold. Get an editor. It helps a lot to get rid of all these minor problems. Otherwise, well, just go for it and write! :D

B) ........I thought it was a good short story, and I agree about getting an editor. I think you could keep on writing a few more chapters if you wanted, I would read it.

I meant "write other stories", but apparently you've got fans of L.L.L. (had you ever realized it was a three-letter acronym? ;) )

Yeah, I have realised. It wasn't intentional, though.

And I'm torn between writing another part and not.

If I carried on, I have some ideas where it could go, but no strong ones. And I don't want to risk ruining it.

Yeah, I have realised. It wasn't intentional, though.

And I'm torn between writing another part and not.

If I carried on, I have some ideas where it could go, but no strong ones. And I don't want to risk ruining it.

B) .......I don't know, why not give it a shot?

For me, your story came across as more of a narrative poem than prose, in the sense that there are more images than content, flashes of reality mixed in with non-reality For example...this works well in a poetry format

Images of his sallow stalker flashed through his mind;

lying against the school's lab desks,

Laurie's kiss like chemicals.

Now I happen to love poetry. "sallow stalker" is really nice. You make excellent use of similie.....

as silent as a fox

like ivy on a stone angel.

their cigarettes alight like argon in the darkness.

The cold felt like paper cuts

They say your love is like Lithium.

Prose or poetry, I enjoyed it. I am uncertain as to whether you could write a full story this way. Then again, maybe you're another Homer in the making. :D

Conner

P.S- Isn't Laurie a girl's name?

It's both.

From Behindthename.com:

LAURIE

Usage: English

Pronounced: LAWR-ee

Pet form of LAURA or LAURENCE.

For me, your story came across as more of a narrative poem than prose...

I've never really though of it like that...it wasn't intentional. (alot of what I write seems to be unintentional, maybe I should stop planning and just type. :S)

Thanks for the feedback though. :]

Ok, I don't know much editing stuff and I liked what I read. It's a good story and I would like to read more of it!

Ieshwar

P.S- Isn't Laurie a girl's name?

Ever heard of Hugh Laurie? There's no indication that he's calling the "invisible man" by his first name... and even if he was...

Laurie could be a nickname for Lauren or Laurence (i.e. Robby for Robert)

Bob :wub: