Radcliffe nervous about baring all on Broadway

I took a look at the plot of Equus and I just didn't take to it. It made a bit of sense, but it was like it was tainted by some sort of half-assed freudian logic that doesn't quite make sense... ah, hard to explain, but basically I didn't think it had any serious value or any real substance to the play. When I watch or read something, I want it to produce a certain feeling or give me some sort of insight. That just didn't seem like it would deliver what I wanted.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....it wouldn't last one day without Daniel!

It ran for years on Broadway. Richard Burton played the psychiatrist for a while, then Anthony Perkins took over, then Burton did another run, and then Perkins came back for a while.

I saw it during the Perkins era. I don't recall who played the young guy at that time. I probably have my old Playbill somewhere among some souvenirs boxed away somewhere.

It made a bit of sense, but it was like it was tainted by some sort of half-assed freudian logic that doesn't quite make sense...

One of the main characters is a psychiatrist and is about his quest for why the kid blinded the horses, so of course he interprets events from a freudian perspective: He's a psychiatrist.

I think the blinding of the horses is the only thing the play has in common with the real events that inspired it.

Edited by AFriendlyFace
One of the main characters is a psychiatrist and is about his quest for why the kid blinded the horses, so of course he interprets events from a freudian perspective: He's a psychiatrist.

Ah, I can see how that would get irritating. It is natural that a psychiatrist of that era would interpret things from a Freudian perspective, but since Freud isn't really in fashion in psychology nowadays I can see how this would be particularly vexing to someone who has studied modern-day psychology.

I have a few things to say. (shocker right?)

1. He's only 18 years old. How big were the rest of you at that age?

Err... you mean with respect to package size? Well biologically speaking I always heard and believed the claim that the male penis (as opposed to the female penis :blink::P ) typically reaches more or less adult size by age 16. Of course that's just the average and especially with regards to puberty everyone develops at different rates. So I guess some people might be "late bloomers", but I'd be very surprised if the average 18 year old didn't have more or less "the complete package" :boy:

If you meant "big" in any other respect, like say waist size for example :P , I'd agree with you that the average human male (and female) seems to get a bit bigger for each year he (or she) gets older. Obviously this doesn't happen to everyone (naturally I'll stay thin and beautiful forever :lol::funny::boy: ), but that seems to be the general trend.

Anyway, to be blunt I couldn't care less about the "package". Even from a purely physical perspective it's pretty low down on my list of interests. As long as it isn't exceptionally ugly or misshapen, and unless it happens to be stunningly beautiful (both of which occurrences are unlikely) I seldom pay it much interest. There's way more fascinating bits! (like the abs, butt, hair, eyes, arms, hands, feet, etc.)

Have a fantastic day everyone and take care!

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace
It is natural that a psychiatrist of that era would interpret things from a Freudian perspective,

And it would be anachronistic if he didn't. Sure there were many schools of thought in psychology back in the '70s, but the bulk of psychiatrists were mainstream traditional freudians.

It would be interesting to rewrite the play with Dr. Bob Hartley (also of the period) instead of a psychiatrist. The kid could get his teeth cleaned in Jerry's office while he was there.

Or we could update it with Dr. Laura, Dr. Phil, or maybe Dr. Ruth.

Wish I had time (and could write). That sounds like a fun series to do.

It would be interesting to rewrite the play with Dr. Bob Hartley (also of the period) instead of a psychiatrist. The kid could get his teeth cleaned in Jerry's office while he was there.

Oh my gosh! That would be fabulous!

Doctor Laura would want the wife and kids to leave him,

Doctor Phil would want to kick his ass for hurting horses,

and Doctor Ruth would be impressed that he was f-ing horses.

:funny::lol::lmao:

I just thought this exchange in an interview was interesting between AP and him. Msn.com and look for "Radcliffe's bare views on 'Potter' & nudity":

"AP: Is it cold on that stage?

Radcliffe: (Smiles) Yes, it's very well air-conditioned.

AP: There's shrinkage?

Radcliffe: (Smiles again) There is an element of retraction, certainly.

AP: After the first time, I'm guessing, you get over this a bit.

Radcliffe: Oh yeah, you don't care. I don't care

Edited by Nerotorb
Same as I am now, and only marginally larger that I was at 16... and I was in no way a late bloomer B)

Well, yeah I figured, but I just wanted people to get over size, though in some situations, it can be a bit important. And I just liked what he had to say about the whole issue: "There is an element of retraction, certainly."