Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

What is going on?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator

I don't remember seeing this but heres what Merriam-Webster has to say about cliff-hanger;

Function:

noun

Date:

circa 1937

1: an adventure serial or melodrama; especially : one presented in installments each ending in suspense

2: a contest whose outcome is in doubt up to the very end; broadly : a suspenseful situation

Maybe this will help in the discussion.

Jan

Edited by TalonRider
I don't remember see this but heres what Merriam-Webster has to say about cliff-hanger;

Jan

B) ............Well definately definition #1 is all CJ .......so his Title fits :P

Edited by Benji
I don't see why that is a better quote, I did say that the end of chapter 4 wasn't a cliffhanger. that it was just enough to make people wanting to read some more, just like CJ does.

Now how is that cliffhangers?? 0:):lol:

Sacha

It was somewhat tense, wasn't it? I declare a CLIFFHANGER! :P

I don't remember seeing this but heres what Merriam-Webster has to say about cliff-hanger;
Function:

noun

Date:

circa 1937

1: an adventure serial or melodrama; especially : one presented in installments each ending in suspense

2: a contest whose outcome is in doubt up to the very end; broadly : a suspenseful situation

Jan

Ahhh, hmmmm... Yes, I think that does help prove my case that I never use cliffhangers! Thanks! :D

B) ............Well definately definition #1 is all CJ .......so his Title fits :P

Ahhem! # one says EACH ending in suspense. Sl that would be EVERY chapter. With the exception of Shadowgod, does anyone end EVERY chapter in a cliffhanger? 0:)

• Site Moderator

The way I see it, any chapter that ends making you wonder what's going to happen next can be called a cliffhanger, some bigger than others.

It was somewhat tense, wasn't it? I declare a CLIFFHANGER! :P

Ahhh, hmmmm... Yes, I think that does help prove my case that I never use cliffhangers! Thanks! :D

That's it! I tried to be neutral on that business, but now,,, no can do, you are the queen of cliffhanger!!!! :P

Actually, it doesn't prove much of your case, :P

The way I see it, any chapter that ends making you wonder what's going to happen next can be called a cliffhanger, some bigger than others.

Hrmmm, but wouldn't just about any chapter of any story you liked make you wonder what was going to happen next?

That's it! I tried to be neutral on that business, but now,,, no can do, you are the queen of cliffhanger!!!! :P

Actually, it doesn't prove much of your case, :P

ACK!! But Sasha, Why would you say such a thing? You know I (unlike you) never use cliffhangers.

Hrmmm, but wouldn't just about any chapter of any story you liked make you wonder what was going to happen next?

ACK!! But Sasha, Why would you say such a thing? You know I (unlike you) never use cliffhangers.

He has a good point no one can't deny. Take any book, any story, if it's any good, you'll want and wonder to know what's going to happen next.

If you retract yourself, I'll do the same. :P:D

sacha

Ahhem! # one says EACH ending in suspense. Sl that would be EVERY chapter. With the exception of Shadowgod, does anyone end EVERY chapter in a cliffhanger? 0:)

FTL has a cliffie in each chapter!!!

BeaStKid

P.S

Nice to be back fellas!!!

BeaStKid

P.S

It might had minor cliffie in each chapter, but it is part of the charm of it.

and I beg to differ, FtL #2 ended up in a kiss, that's not a cliffie. In #4 it finish by them going back to Chris' appart and fall peacefully asleep just like chapter 6..

I'm too lazy to go thru the 38 chapters, but it surely shows that there ain't one in every chapter.

sacha

P.S. Great to see you back!!

P.P.S. I do like to play the devil's advocate

He has a good point no one can't deny. Take any book, any story, if it's any good, you'll want and wonder to know what's going to happen next.

If you retract yourself, I'll do the same. :P:D

sacha

You mean I can't say you use cliffhangers, and you acknowledge that I don't use them? Hrmmm... Well, okay, it's a deal! :D

BeaStKid

P.S

Welcome back BK,

But, umm, cliffhangers in FTL?!?!?! :o Shadowgod, what have you done!?!?!?! :blink:

(Or, alternatively, read rule #1 posted at the top of the forum 0:) )

It might had minor cliffie in each chapter, but it is part of the charm of it.

and I beg to differ, FtL #2 ended up in a kiss, that's not a cliffie. In #4 it finish by them going back to Chris' appart and fall peacefully asleep just like chapter 6..

I'm too lazy to go thru the 38 chapters, but it surely shows that there ain't one in every chapter.

sacha

P.S. Great to see you back!!

P.P.S. I do like to play the devil's advocate

Thanks Sacha, but, ummm, you do realize you're implying that *I'm* the devil, right? :blink::unsure:

:P

You mean I can't say you use cliffhangers, and you acknowledge that I don't use them? Hrmmm... Well, okay, it's a deal! :D

Thanks Sacha, but, ummm, you do realize you're implying that *I'm* the devil, right? :blink::unsure:

:P

From all I can see, CJ the goat, hasn't yet made the usage of any kind of cliffhanger in any of his chapter. Anything that looks remotely close to one is purely the fabrication, in the editing process by shadowgod.

a devil is a cute, shy and, what was the other adjective used,, ya, quiet creature. :P

• Site Administrator
From all I can see, CJ the goat, hasn't yet made the usage of any kind of cliffhanger in any of his chapter. Anything that looks remotely close to one is purely the fabrication, in the editing process by shadowgod.

MEDIC! MEDIC! We've got another case of goat-hypnosis over here!

a devil is a cute, shy and, what was the other adjective used,, ya, quiet creature. :P

Not all of them. For example, the Tasmanian Devil is cute (in an ugly sort of way), but it is definitely not shy or quiet. You would be quiet after they've done with you -- it's very hard to be noisy when you're lying unconscious from lack of blood, due to huge chunks of flesh being ripped off your body.

Hmm... I'm wondering if there is any relationship between the Tasmanian Devil and the Arizona variety....

:worship::worship: :worship: :worship:

Yay, thank you Sasha!! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

That made my day! :boy:

MEDIC! MEDIC! We've got another case of goat-hypnosis over here!

Not all of them. For example, the Tasmanian Devil is cute (in an ugly sort of way), but it is definitely not shy or quiet. You would be quiet after they've done with you -- it's very hard to be noisy when you're lying unconscious from lack of blood, due to huge chunks of flesh being ripped off your body.

Hmm... I'm wondering if there is any relationship between the Tasmanian Devil and the Arizona variety....

Now, now, Graeme, I think we should respect FrenchCanadian's opinions. 0:)

I've never seen a Tasmanian Devil outside of a zoo. However, i've seen them on TV, and in groups they are, well, just a little, um, raucous? They are kinda cute though. :)

• Site Administrator

I must point out that Shadowgod has no role to play in the editing process, so he couldn't add any cliffhangers. He's the anonymous beta-reader that no one knows about, not the editor. This is further proof that Sacha's post was the sign of someone not in their right mind.

Now, where is that damn medic to stop this before it spreads?

I must point out that Shadowgod has no role to play in the editing process, so he couldn't add any cliffhangers. He's the anonymous beta-reader that no one knows about, not the editor. This is further proof that Sacha's post was the sign of someone not in their right mind.

Now, where is that damn medic to stop this before it spreads?

Now, now, Graeme, Shadowgod is indeed the Anonymous Beta Reader, and as such he, like you, can add things in edit mode. He could also, therefor, hit "accept changes" and I'd never notice the unmarked changes. :P

If there are cliffhangers, wouldn't it make sense that they come from the King of eeevil Cliffhangers, Shadowgod? :pickaxe:

• Site Administrator
Now, now, Graeme, Shadowgod is indeed the Anonymous Beta Reader, and as such he, like you, can add things in edit mode. He could also, therefor, hit "accept changes" and I'd never notice the unmarked changes. :P

If there are cliffhangers, wouldn't it make sense that they come from the King of eeevil Cliffhangers, Shadowgod? :pickaxe:

As distinct from the Queen of the Evilest Cliffhangers? :P

Now, now, Graeme, Shadowgod is indeed the Anonymous Beta Reader, and as such he, like you, can add things in edit mode. He could also, therefor, hit "accept changes" and I'd never notice the unmarked changes.

you see, Graeme, it is not impossible that Shadowgod does indeed make changes. So, I don't need any medic!! Things are always being done behind CJ's back ; cliffhangers in his chapters and even when he leaves for a trip people give him the unjustified title "queen of evilest cliffhangers"

you see, Graeme, it is not impossible that Shadowgod does indeed make changes. So, I don't need any medic!! Things are always being done behind CJ's back ; cliffhangers in his chapters and even when he leaves for a trip people give him the unjustified title "queen of evilest cliffhangers"

1) CJ maintains final approval on any cliffhangers I supposidly insert ( I don't and I have all of the beta file copies to prove this ;) ) Thus if I do happen to insert a cliffhanger (I never have, maybe suggested how to re-word a sentence but that is about it) His approval on the matter makes the cliffhanger his own and nobody else's. Remember possesion is 9/10 of the law.

2) It is true his title is unjustified. I personally think he should be given the moniker "King of Evilest Cliffhangers", as he is far more adept at the practice then I am.

3) Never trust a goat; He'll eat your manuscript when you aren't looking, and it's just plain foolish.

:D

Now, now, Graeme, I think we should respect FrenchCanadian's opinions. 0:)

Now if I were from Ontario or somewhere else outside Quebec...I wouldn't trust these words: respecting a French Canadian. :P

But oh well, CJ, admit it...you're an evil nasty merciless cliffhanger loving postwhore.

I hope I didn't choke the English language for using too much adjectives.

• Site Administrator

Okay, everyone, I'm off for a few days. I'm hoping the forum will still be in one piece when I get back -- though with chapter 19 of LTMP due to be posted, I'm sure there will be lots of activity :mace:

Happy Holidays!

It was this sentence with which you choked the English language. :P

Btw, there are thousands of francophones/Quebecquois living in other provinces. They particularly like BC. Who wouldn't love lotusland? :D Our weed is the best.

Conner

Now if I were from Ontario or somewhere else outside Quebec...I wouldn't trust these words: respecting a French Canadian. :P

that means that you do trust them....and you said it yourself, we've made you, you're becoming, a real quebequer.

Okay, everyone, I'm off for a few days. I'm hoping the forum will still be in one piece when I get back -- though with chapter 19 of LTMP due to be posted, I'm sure there will be lots of activity :mace:

Happy Holidays!

Well, Graeme, have some great time,, while you'll be off. Hopefully, ya, we won't set up the dirty bomb right away on the forum.

:worship::worship: :worship: :worship:

Thank you, Sasha!! :wub:

It's so good to know that someone believes in me. :hug:

1) CJ maintains final approval on any cliffhangers I supposidly insert ( I don't and I have all of the beta file copies to prove this ;) ) Thus if I do happen to insert a cliffhanger (I never have, maybe suggested how to re-word a sentence but that is about it) His approval on the matter makes the cliffhanger his own and nobody else's. Remember possesion is 9/10 of the law.

2) It is true his title is unjustified. I personally think he should be given the moniker "King of Evilest Cliffhangers", as he is far more adept at the practice then I am.

3) Never trust a goat; He'll eat your manuscript when you aren't looking, and it's just plain foolish.

:D

RE: Point #1. Now Shadowgod, honestly... Can you truthfully say that in the time we've been betaing that there has never been a case of a cliffhanger being punched up during our betaing sessions? You can't say no, so therefor, I win this point. :P:P :P :P :P

Point #2. Huh?!!?!? But you are the unrivaled King of Evil Cliffhangers! And lest there be any doubt, I shall mention LiS 26, again!

And for #3, :sheep:0:)

But oh well, CJ, admit it...you're an evil nasty merciless cliffhanger loving postwhore.

Now, now, frosty... I never use cliffhangers, and I'm a lurker! :ph34r:

I fear I must remind you of the rules posted at the top of this forum:

Rule #1: All bad things are Shadowgod's fault. So are, of course, Cliffhangers.

Rule #2: When in doubt, see rule #1.

0:)

Happy Holidays!

Safe journeys, Graeme!!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..