Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let The Music Play 23: Wake Up Call

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice chapter CJ!!!, well it seems that after all Jerry/scar might have grown some feeling for the boys. Maybe they'll be safe for a while.

Finally they realized quickly enough that the screw has been played with before. I don't think it will take very long for Jerry to do the math,, poor Eric.

CJ, It seems like you've got some experience in brotherly pranks, :P milk chocolate and sand,, I would never have thought of that.

sacha

• Site Moderator
Another great chapter, CJ. A number of questions are answered and the obligatory cliffhanger is present. I'm ready for Chapter 24 when you are.

IMHO, if that was a cliffhanger, it wasn't much of one. We already know who screwed up the screws. We know what's going to happen to the engineer and the rest on payday, and we have an approximate time of when that will be. About the only thing we don't know is when the accident will happen that will take out Instinct.

Then again, CJ could be leading us down a false trail.

Jan

• Site Administrator
IMHO, if that was a cliffhanger, it wasn't much of one. We already know who screwed up the screws. We know what's going to happen to the engineer and the rest on payday, and we have an approximate time of when that will be. About the only thing we don't know is when the accident will happen that will take out Instinct.

Jan

Jan, I think Mike is just judging CJ by the same standards that CJ judges others :D . After all, according to CJ's reasoning the Little Miss Muffet nursery rhyme ended in a cliffhanger :lmao: !

Great chapter CJ, I laughed a lot reading it. It was a good humourous chapter that reminded me of some of the earlier ones like when Chase was guessing which of the brothers were gay. From the practical jokes to the stuffed kangaroo, it was a good read.

One question about Jerry/The Scar (referred to from now on a J/S)? J/S's interaction with Dimitri about his true identity kinda interested me. We know his son is Joe Lump, so logically his real name is Jerry Lump. But quiet often Jerry uses the endearment 'dear' when talking in his Jerry personae. Things like 'dear lady' or 'dear boy'. When I usually hear that, I'm inclined to think of the British? Is J/S actually British and not from Idaho? I think this may have been a clue into the future as well.

Thanks again CJ :2thumbs: .

Steve B)

Edit: Original nursery rhyme kinda did end in cliffhanger :D

Edited by wildone
  • Site Administrator
Another great chapter, CJ. A number of questions are answered and the obligatory cliffhanger is present. I'm ready for Chapter 24 when you are.
IMHO, if that was a cliffhanger, it wasn't much of one. We already know who screwed up the screws.

According to the C James definition of cliffhangers, it's a cliffhanger. We don't know what The Scar intends to do, and he's clearly unhappy, so it's a cliffhanger. :P

However, I personally agree it's not really a cliffhanger, but since this is CJ's story and CJ's forum, we should use his definition while we're here and call it a CLIFFHANGER.

I had to laugh at the initial interaction between Helen and Jerry. Neither appear to understand kids particularly well -- how many Australian teenager or near teenager boys would be thrilled to receive a stuff toy kangaroo? The signed scooter I can understand, but a stuffed toy? Some would like that, but most wouldn't....

Everyone turned at the sound of crunching gravel, as Dimitri drove the very dusty Land Rover toward the cottages. He came to a stop beside the assembled group and clambered out. Jerry turned to say to Helen,

Great Chapter CJ! I see you are well on your way to being permanently awarded the King of Cliffhangers title you so covet!

Yeah J/S now knows that someone opened the scooter up and probably thinks it's Eric who apparently will really pay for his Tequila fueled rampage at the resort.

The wrench in the works is that Eric already has suspicions that J/S is up to no good. Will it be in time to save himself and the rest of the band? Will he use Cane toads to get rid of J/S and foil his plot? Has the bar really hidden all the Tequila? Will Vladimir & Dimitri end up as prison boyfriends?

Waiting for Ch.24 to find out!

Steve

According to the C James definition of cliffhangers, it's a cliffhanger. We don't know what The Scar intends to do, and he's clearly unhappy, so it's a cliffhanger. :P

However, I personally agree it's not really a cliffhanger, but since this is CJ's story and CJ's forum, we should use his definition while we're here and call it a CLIFFHANGER.

Perhaps a "petite cliffhanger" is appropriate. It's not the usual whopper.

The Scar/Jerry plans on the boys being toast - especially Eric. What is going to jar Brandon's memory to question the sophisticated switches he found when they opened the panel (and managed to almost strip two screwheads in the process)?

Jack B)

The Scar/Jerry plans on the boys being toast - especially Eric. What is going to jar Brandon's memory to question the sophisticated switches he found when they opened the panel (and managed to almost strip two screwheads in the process)?

Jack B)

B) ..........Only thing I can think of is that he will see them again, he was a roady 1st of all, somehow he is going to see something "Jerry" ships back with their equipment to the States.

Oddly enough, my impression this chapter was that The Scar is not nearly as thorough, careful, or even as good at what he does as I previously thought. First, a holdover from last chapter: when he called in Dimitri over Eric going crazy, that was just pure panic and kind of stupid. Did he really think, in the SEVEN HOURS it would take Dimitri to arrive, he was still going to be chasing around a drunk Eric? He also slipped, as pointed out in this chapter, and revealed his identity.

Second, setting up a fake charity to help fund his activities was a bad idea. With all the scrutiny and investigations charities face, it was a rather large risk to take given that even Instinct's large donations were "miniscule [sIC] compared to our costs."

Finally, once his identity is revealed and he only needs to keep the locations of the bombs a secret, he's already dug himself into a pretty deep hole. If he doesn't eliminate Instinct, they probably would figure out how he shipped everything; if he kills them, he also raises a big red flag about his shipping business, since his connection to Instinct is public, and the band just happening to have a major accident just as the person in charge of shipping their stuff happened to smuggle something into the U.S. would seem way too much of a coincidence. Well, I guess we'll see if "fortune favors the bold," or if Eric's instincts save the day.

Jack B)

IMO, this is a much larger, more insidious form of cliffhanger. It's a cliffhanger that will be hanging over the story until the final chapter. No matter how many intervening chapters CJ writes, this cliffhanger will be there until the end, when either Scar/Jerry gets his or Instinct gets theirs. Oh, the cleaver goat! {Uh, sorry, that should be "clever". Still remembering thoughts of a barbeque that never happened.}

Colin B)

The wrench in the works is that Eric already has suspicions that J/S is up to no good. Will it be in time to save himself and the rest of the band? Will he use Cane toads to get rid of J/S and foil his plot? Has the bar really hidden all the Tequila? Will Vladimir & Dimitri end up as prison boyfriends?

Now you've been around long enough to know that we aren't likely to see answers to these questions any time soon! :(

That's a clue for Helen and the guys. Introductions take seconds -- how can there not be time for introductions? Especially since the introductions could take place while they put the scooter into the Land Rover.

I'm not completely sure about that reasoning. Yes, introductions only takes a second or so,, 'this is Dimitri'. But usually it's followed by little small talks. So, personally I would understand and not be really alarmed by a 'no time for introduction'.

Oddly enough, my impression this chapter was that The Scar is not nearly as thorough, careful, or even as good at what he does as I previously thought. First, a holdover from last chapter: when he called in Dimitri over Eric going crazy, that was just pure panic and kind of stupid. Did he really think, in the SEVEN HOURS it would take Dimitri to arrive, he was still going to be chasing around a drunk Eric? He also slipped, as pointed out in this chapter, and revealed his identity.

Second, setting up a fake charity to help fund his activities was a bad idea. With all the scrutiny and investigations charities face, it was a rather large risk to take given that even Instinct's large donations were "miniscule [sIC] compared to our costs."

Finally, once his identity is revealed and he only needs to keep the locations of the bombs a secret, he's already dug himself into a pretty deep hole. If he doesn't eliminate Instinct, they probably would figure out how he shipped everything; if he kills them, he also raises a big red flag about his shipping business, since his connection to Instinct is public, and the band just happening to have a major accident just as the person in charge of shipping their stuff happened to smuggle something into the U.S. would seem way too much of a coincidence. Well, I guess we'll see if "fortune favors the bold," or if Eric's instincts save the day.

I would have to agree, It really seems like the scar/jerry has been making mistakes over mistakes when normally he is very careful about those kind of things. Maybe some of his associate will see sign of weakness in that and simply will decide that he doesn't need him.

maybe he'll go weak and finally will spare the group.

I would have to agree, It really seems like the scar/jerry has been making mistakes over mistakes when normally he is very careful about those kind of things. Maybe some of his associate will see sign of weakness in that and simply will decide that he doesn't need him.

maybe he'll go weak and finally will spare the group.

Or maybe he no longer is the same person, and we'll discover that these mistakes are part of a greater scheme. Do not fear, for CJ will find a way to play with us poor readers with another eeevil twist only a Queen of evilest cliffhangers is capable of.

Or maybe he no longer is the same person, and we'll discover that these mistakes are part of a greater scheme. Do not fear, for CJ will find a way to play with us poor readers with another eeevil twist only a Queen of evilest cliffhangers is capable of.

B) ..........Of course he will, notice how much he posts when he puts in a cliffie?

It was a good humourous chapter that reminded me of some of the earlier ones like when Chase was guessing which of the brothers were gay.

I don't recall Chase have to guess which of the brother was gay. I think he always knew that it was him.

I feel reasonably sure that the Cane toad will make another appearance. I think it's also important (and surprising) to note that Eric has already successfully managed to elude Jerry/The Scar once...can he do it again?

Good points!

I also thought it was extremely foolish and careless to simply lend Eric the scooter in the first place. Eric destroying it, or simply tampering with it, would have seemed to me to be a fairly possibly, if not likely outcome. It also seems like an odd decision even assuming Eric were completely trustworthy and not at all likely to open it up given the sheer importance of its contents.

IMO, this is a much larger, more insidious form of cliffhanger. It's a cliffhanger that will be hanging over the story until the final chapter. No matter how many intervening chapters CJ writes, this cliffhanger will be there until the end, when either Scar/Jerry gets his or Instinct gets theirs. Oh, the cleaver goat! {Uh, sorry, that should be "clever". Still remembering thoughts of a barbeque that never happened.}

EXACTLY my thoughts, Colin! Indeed I couldn't properly enjoy the other aspects of the chapter (such as the diverting horseplay between Chase, Brandon, and Jon) given the 'cloud' looming over the story now. I hope I get over it, but I fear that everything else will just seem like "filler" until we find out what happens! On the other hand I'm sure it'll still be a pleasure to watch the events unfold :)

Great chapter, CJ!

I can't wait to see what happens next!

Take dare and have an awesome day all!

-Kevin

• Site Administrator
I don't recall Chase have to guess which of the brother was gay. I think he always knew that it was him.

I guess just be thankful that I don't write, or you could have a forum just dedicated to my screw ups :D And in case you didn't know, insert Brandon for Chase in that sentence.

I also thought it was extremely foolish and careless to simply lend Eric the scooter in the first place. Eric destroying it, or simply tampering with it, would have seemed to me to be a fairly possibly, if not likely outcome. It also seems like an odd decision even assuming Eric were completely trustworthy and not at all likely to open it up given the sheer importance of its contents.

I was thinking about that too. Obviously J/S needed to get the scooter into Australia with as little attention as possible. I imagine he could have easily had bought one there though. Since I don't know anything about Kryton switches I wouldn't know if they would be sensitive to x-rays, as the scooter was the only inanimate thing to not go through the scanner at the airport. But I wonder if the average security guard watching a baggage scanner would notice the switches for what they were. After all Brandon even thought they were possibly part of the circuitry until he noticed they were not connected.

Also, didn't J/S mention that was how he got the previous switches into the country?

Steve B)

I was thinking about that too. Obviously J/S needed to get the scooter into Australia with as little attention as possible. I imagine he could have easily had bought one there though. Since I don't know anything about Kryton switches I wouldn't know if they would be sensitive to x-rays, as the scooter was the only inanimate thing to not go through the scanner at the airport. But I wonder if the average security guard watching a baggage scanner would notice the switches for what they were. After all Brandon even thought they were possibly part of the circuitry until he noticed they were not connected.

Also, didn't J/S mention that was how he got the previous switches into the country?

Steve B)

Customs might have opened the panel to check for drugs that might not show up on a scan. They wouldn't have a clue about the Kryton switches, that circuit board looked like it was part of the scooter. So, CJ probably shouldn't have J/S and Demitri assume that it was the boys who got into the panel. :nuke: :wacko:

J/S got them into Australia in some other kind of shipment, the details of which we aren't privileged to know. Probably we don't have the right clearances, right CJ? :nuke: :P

Colin B)

CJ, It seems like you've got some experience in brotherly pranks, :P milk chocolate and sand,, I would never have thought of that.

Actually, I'm an only child. However, I have been known to play the occasional prank or two. 0:)

Who? Me? Would i ever do such a thing as that? 0:)

One question about Jerry/The Scar (referred to from now on a J/S)? J/S's interaction with Dimitri about his true identity kinda interested me. We know his son is Joe Lump, so logically his real name is Jerry Lump. But quiet often Jerry uses the endearment 'dear' when talking in his Jerry personae. Things like 'dear lady' or 'dear boy'. When I usually hear that, I'm inclined to think of the British? Is J/S actually British and not from Idaho? I think this may have been a clue into the future as well.

Jerry Clump is The Scar's real name, based on what has been in the text so far. The "Dear boy" is the way I've seen gay men portrayed on screen when they are going for a flaming stereotype. And The Scar is acting, so, that's how he speaks as "jerry".

I made "Jerry" a flamer becuase I thoguht it fit with what a stright man who wanted to act like a gay man would do, but also because I needed to portray Jerry as gay, but not say he was gay. I can't lie in the narration, so I had Helen tell the guys what she knew about JErry (The narrator can't be mistaken, but a character can) and then the flaming part was to keep him as "gay" in the reader's minds without having to say so. :)

I had to laugh at the initial interaction between Helen and Jerry. Neither appear to understand kids particularly well -- how many Australian teenager or near teenager boys would be thrilled to receive a stuff toy kangaroo? The signed scooter I can understand, but a stuffed toy? Some would like that, but most wouldn't....

A very informative paragraph. We now have confirmation (assuming The Scar is telling the truth) that Joe Clump isn't involved, and that The Scar intends to use the shipping contract with Instinct to transport the bombs. It also confirms that Instinct is scheduled to be eliminated, once the bombs are in place.

:lol: The "next strange animal he put in one of Helen's possessions"? :blink: Eric doesn't learn very fast, does he... :P

Thanks, CJ! :worship: That was a fun chapter, and also very informative.

Yep, The Scar tells Dimitri that he contracted for a hit on Instinct, and as we previously saw him do so, we can be fairly sure that the hit is indeed on Instinct. Assuming, that is, that The Scar is telling the truth. :)

And what? You thoguht Eric was done putting strange animals in Helen's suitcases? After just one? I'm shocked, shocked i say, that you would so malign Eric's admirable spirit of perseverance :P

Great Chapter CJ! I see you are well on your way to being permanently awarded the King of Cliffhangers title you so covet!

Yeah J/S now knows that someone opened the scooter up and probably thinks it's Eric who apparently will really pay for his Tequila fueled rampage at the resort.

Waiting for Ch.24 to find out!

Steve

I'm shocked, Shocked I say, that everyone assumes that The Scar is up to no good? I've never actually said he's the villain, after all. 0:)

OOps, did I add a typo? I'll go fix that and UL it with the next chapter. Thanks! (that was added post-edit and post-zeta, BTW)

I've got to be very carefull what I say here, but referring only to what is posted, yes, The Scar makes mistakes sometimes. He's human, and has shortcomings. Some of which he is aware of, and others which he isnt (such as not being as good an actior as he thinks he is).

Colin B)

:o Colin... But you know I never use cliffhangers!

And also, things in my stories aren't always what they seem. 0:)

And, umm, "cleaver"? Yipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXACTLY my thoughts, Colin! Indeed I couldn't properly enjoy the other aspects of the chapter (such as the diverting horseplay between Chase, Brandon, and Jon) given the 'cloud' looming over the story now. I hope I get over it, but I fear that everything else will just seem like "filler" until we find out what happens! On the other hand I'm sure it'll still be a pleasure to watch the events unfold :)

Jerry lent Eric the scooter, but regreted it. Lol. He had shipped the first set of Krytons in one, but this time, perhaps spooked by having the scooter x-rayed before (I never actually said in the text, and probably should have) he loaned Eric the scooter in order to have a little VIP help in getting the scooter into the country. He was being just a little too clever, and soon regretted it.

Helen's destination change took him by surprise. Had that not occured, his plan would have worked perfectloy; he could have releived Eric of the scooter in Brisbane right after arriving at their hotel with an excuse abotu the "sick kid", but by going up north with them he was stuck overnight. The best laid plans of mice and men. LoL.

Customs might have opened the panel to check for drugs that might not show up on a scan. They wouldn't have a clue about the Kryton switches, that circuit board looked like it was part of the scooter. So, CJ probably shouldn't have J/S and Demitri assume that it was the boys who got into the panel. :nuke: :wacko:

J/S got them into Australia in some other kind of shipment, the details of which we aren't privileged to know. Probably we don't have the right clearances, right CJ? :nuke: :P

Colin B)

The Scooter was never out of The Scar's sight during their encounter with customs. However, we have no idea who, if anyone, The Scar will think tampered with it. All he said is that it wasn't him. and then he observed that it must have been someone else. :)

Thanks everyone!

CJ :)

Colin B)

My thoughts exactly!!

Great chapter, though!! :worship:

BeaStKid :devil:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..