GA GetTogether June 2008 - Dallas

• Site Administrator
Benji: You can easily get a room for like $75-$100 per night. Depending where you're willing to stay. I know one in downtown where you can pay $65-75 per night (if I remember right).

But don't count on the parking spots on the street be open for you at any time. If you're lucky to get one, then it's free to park for days (except when you have to move your car twice per week for one hour to let the streetcleaner pass through). A garage is an option, but $15 per day is a lot for some of you maybe.

You could try the hostel I just told you all about. The downside that you won't get much privacy apart from the curtain at your bunker bed. Which means, Joe and Mason will have a lot of trouble having sex in the shared shower room. But there are two-three small cabins for two person each (in twin beds) and you would have a lot of privacy there to sleep around at the same hostel.

Passport: The backlog is smaller I think. I think it takes about a month or two. But if you're driving, then you don't need a passport. Just a birth certificate and driver's licence will do. But after June 1st, 2009 (assuming that the Congress and next president change nothing), you would need a passport or a cheaper $60 US-Canada-Mexico border passcard. I don't know the backlog for passcards because they just introduced it, but if you do it early before people realize the requirement...you could get it fast before the rush.

Just to add:

There is no problem getting in to Canada with the Drivier's License, we like everybody to come visit :P .

It's just getting back into the US that will soon be tricky without the proper paperwork.

With a bit of advanced planning, all of it can be avoided though.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NYC.

Myr, is this the official decision? I hope so!

Ben, don't worry about show tickets. We can get together and decide what shows we want to see and I can get us tickets. It's one of the benefits of being plugged into the cultural scene like I am. It'll be even easier if we know the exact dates we'll be there way far in advance.

Just to add:

There is no problem getting in to Canada with the Drivier's License, we like everybody to come visit :P .

It's just getting back into the US that will soon be tricky without the proper paperwork.

With a bit of advanced planning, all of it can be avoided though.

All you need is a driver's license and birth certificate. It's the same both ways. It just depends on a person on both sides of the border. Some are nice. Some are just annoying...just like the customs lady last time who can't speak up for me because I have trouble hearing her right. And then she dared to give me a look when I asked her really nicely to be more clear and loud?!

Myr, is this the official decision? I hope so!

I think we should vote on it. I think.

Edited by Jack Frost
  • Site Moderator

NYC is closer for Myr, like Philly is closer to me.

Some of the things that might be of interest in the area.

History wise: Valley Forge National Park, Gettysburg, Independence Hall, Daniel Boone's Homestead.

There's at least three amusement parks within two hours driving distance, Six Flags Great Adventure, Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom (home to The Talon), and 'the sweetest place on earth, Hershey Park, Hershey, PA.

NYC is closer for Myr, like Philly is closer to me.

Some of the things that might be of interest in the area.

History wise: Valley Forge National Park, Gettysburg, Independence Hall, Daniel Boone's Homestead.

There's at least three amusement parks within two hours driving distance, Six Flags Great Adventure, Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom (home to The Talon), and 'the sweetest place on earth, Hershey Park, Hershey, PA.

For me, Philly is an hours drive and the city is just a train ride away. Funny, I'm practically equidistant between both metropolitan centers and yet I never go to either of them lol. I think I've been to Atlantic City more often than either of them, but that goes with living 20 minutes outside of it for three years (not anymore though, now I'm 2hrs 20mins away lol).

• Site Moderator
For me, Philly is an hours drive and the city is just a train ride away. Funny, I'm practically equidistant between both metropolitan centers and yet I never go to either of them lol. I think I've been to Atlantic City more often than either of them, but that goes with living 20 minutes outside of it for three years (not anymore though, now I'm 2hrs 20mins away lol).

I'm about 35 miles from Philly, and I've not been there for few years now. In fact, the last time I was there, I took the train to 30th street station.

I'm about 35 miles from Philly, and I've not been there for few years now. In fact, the last time I was there, I took the train to 30th street station.

<_< .............Well I could do NYC, again (famous last words) time & money no problem!

I didn't go this year primarily because I felt like I was still too much of a GA newbie. By next year I don't think I'll care one way or the other where the convention is held cause I'll be there.

Would it have killed you to smile at her? :P

I would've if she smiles at me FIRST

I will also add that I am 0th generation American, my family is from Canada, complete with relatives who left the Colonies during the period of treason around 1777.

No worries. I have a French Canadian madien who got into my blood 200 years ago. ;)

Hershey Park is neat. It has like 15 roller coasters! :o

But I will not go to the Wildwater Kingdom!!!! I'm not going to show off my chest to the whole GA. :blink:

Edited by Jack Frost
I would've if she smiles at me FIRST

No worries. I have a French Canadian madien who got into my blood 200 years ago. ;)

Hershey Park is neat. It has like 15 roller coasters! :o

But I will not go to the Wildwater Kingdom!!!! I'm not going to show off my chest to the whole GA. :blink:

B) ...........1. We all can't be perfect! :P

2. Good rollercoasters??

3. If it is held in winter, mote point, on the other hand why not?

it to them*

Shut up! :P

Hey Myr! Let's please have the next convention somewhere that the Frosty one will melt. I'm sure there must be a human somewhere under that icy exterior! Orlando in August would be perfect...100

• Site Moderator
B) ...........1. We all can't be perfect! :P

2. Good rollercoasters??

3. If it is held in winter, mote point, on the other hand why not?

I'm not really into water parks either.

Here's a couple of links to the parks: Dorney and Hershey.

Well, Robert and I will be in D.C. in January watching Barack being sworn in as President....

And while you're there, I recommend the Chart House in Old Town Alexandria as a good spot for dinner. It's right on the river and the view is wonderful. Old Town is nice to wander through also.

And while you're there, I recommend the Chart House in Old Town Alexandria as a good spot for dinner. It's right on the river and the view is wonderful. Old Town is nice to wander through also.

Yum. Chart House is a good chain. We have one in Miami right on the bay. I've been to both, both are excellent, but I like the view from the one in Miami better cause it's literally on the shore. The one in Alexandria is set back from the water just a bit. If you come visit me I'll take you there! hungry.gif

Nothing is wrong with it.

I just refuse to show them. :P

And yes Benji, a lot of good coasters.

B) .................Duh!!!!!! I'm not gonna pull " show me yours & I'll show you mine routine. But I will tell you this, I'll beat you out when the shirts removed! B)