GA GetTogether June 2008 - Dallas

... but I am following all of the conversation here and though some of it is repetitive (and lol - frequently off-topic)

Repetative and frequently off-topic ... doesn't that describe 95.4% of all the threads on this site?

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow :snowy: Dog

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least tell me it'll be done at the East Coat.

I don't what some guy changing it to the West Coast or the Heartland once again. We East Coasters have been waiting for a close location for two years now. :(

I don't mind to eat pets de soeurs and also please send me the recipe of it, I want to see if I, an American, can make one of the Quebecois food, lol...

I guess it does have cinnimon in it.

It's easy, but Trebs beat me to it. Then you can pour real maple syrup all over it after you finish baking them. It's too yummy...especially when warm. :o

But putting apples on pets de soeurs sounds like a sin to me.

Edited by Jack Frost
  • Site Moderator

If I remember correctly, when they first started talking this years, it was between the east coast and the mid-west. I think it was decided to do the mid-west this year and the east coast next year.

Repetative and frequently off-topic ... doesn't that describe 95.4% of all the threads on this site?

BLASPHEMER!!!

We don't have any on-topic threads.

BLASPHEMER!!!

We don't have any on-topic threads.

... As a moderator (whose job it is to keep threads on topic) I feel a bit like a failure now!

On the other hand given the off-topicness of my own post it's a bit hard to dispute! :*)

-Kevin

If I remember correctly, when they first started talking this years, it was between the east coast and the mid-west. I think it was decided to do the mid-west this year and the east coast next year.

When they first talking, then ended up picking the West Coast. ^^

Dallas is also in the middle of the country too. Mid-South.

The first GetTogether came about due to LittleBuddhaWT scheduling a visit to San Francisco, and flowing out of that... It was very easy for me to plan as I live 2 hours from San Francisco and the whole thing was fairly informal.

The 2nd GetTogether was preceded by a poll with New York and Dallas being the main choices. Dallas overwhelmingly won - and again both due to having JSmith as well as my brother both living in the Dallas area, it wasn't that hard to plan (though in hindsight, I definitely would have chosen a hotel in Arlington rather than Grand Prairie).

So... now that two are down and we're all actively thinking about the third, before I actually set up a poll, here's some things to consider:

Big item: Depending on date and location, not sure that Dan and I can make it (not a deal-breaker BUT WOULD mean that someone else would really have to step up to the plate to help organize).

East Coast - in concept, it sounds good. Potential choices could be New York City/Philadelphia, Washington DC (or suburbs), or somewhere in Florida.

NYC/Philly advantages: great mass transit locally, tons of sightseeing opportunities, in the north (as the first GetTogether was Central-West and the 2nd was Southern-Central, Northern-East would make a good third one...). Disadvantages: Can be expensive and depending on the time of the year, very cold or very hot/humid.

Washington DC advantages: Again, good mass transit locally and tons of sightseeing. Central to the East Coast so both southerners and New Englander's could easily get there. Also, Dan and I are hoping to be there in late-January, so planning something would be easy. Disadvantage: Late January in DC - COLD!

Florida advantages: Nice weather (when a hurricane isn't hitting). Sightseeing at either DisneyWorld, Universal or Miami beaches (depending on the part of Florida). Disadvantages - once more in the southern part of the country.

Non-East Coast ideas:

Chicago advantages: Takes in a whole part of the country that we haven't gotten close to yet. Easy for our Canadian friends to get to. Good sightseeing. Disadvantages - not East Coast enough and currently not sure of a local contact who can help organize.

Anaheim advantages: can wrap together with Dan and my honeymoon next July, FANTASTIC sightseeing at Disneyland and other locals. Disadvantage - what - West coast AGAIN?

SO - thoughts? :-)

The first GetTogether came about due to LittleBuddhaWT scheduling a visit to San Francisco, and flowing out of that... It was very easy for me to plan as I live 2 hours from San Francisco and the whole thing was fairly informal.

The 2nd GetTogether was preceded by a poll with New York and Dallas being the main choices. Dallas overwhelmingly won - and again both due to having JSmith as well as my brother both living in the Dallas area, it wasn't that hard to plan (though in hindsight, I definitely would have chosen a hotel in Arlington rather than Grand Prairie).

<_<.......So there was a little blood on the ceiling, and I thought it was quaint the way the train blew its whistle every ten minutes. (glad I didn't hear it)

So... now that two are down and we're all actively thinking about the third, before I actually set up a poll, here's some things to consider:

Big item: Depending on date and location, not sure that Dan and I can make it (not a deal-breaker BUT WOULD mean that someone else would really have to step up to the plate to help organize).

:(............I hope you both can make it, half the fun was watching you two bitch about the others driving.

East Coast - in concept, it sounds good. Potential choices could be New York City/Philadelphia, Washington DC (or suburbs), or somewhere in Florida.

NYC/Philly advantages: great mass transit locally, tons of sightseeing opportunities, in the north (as the first GetTogether was Central-West and the 2nd was Southern-Central, Northern-East would make a good third one...). Disadvantages: Can be expensive and depending on the time of the year, very cold or very hot/humid.

:(.........Yeah, the expense thing has me a bit bothered.

Washington DC advantages: Again, good mass transit locally and tons of sightseeing. Central to the East Coast so both southerners and New Englander's could easily get there. Also, Dan and I are hoping to be there in late-January, so planning something would be easy. Disadvantage: Late January in DC - COLD!

Florida advantages: Nice weather (when a hurricane isn't hitting). Sightseeing at either DisneyWorld, Universal or Miami beaches (depending on the part of Florida). Disadvantages - once more in the southern part of the country.

Non-East Coast ideas:

Chicago advantages: Takes in a whole part of the country that we haven't gotten close to yet. Easy for our Canadian friends to get to. Good sightseeing. Disadvantages - not East Coast enough and currently not sure of a local contact who can help organize.

Anaheim advantages: can wrap together with Dan and my honeymoon next July, FANTASTIC sightseeing at Disneyland and other locals. Disadvantage - what - West coast AGAIN?

SO - thoughts? :-)

B)...........Congratulations on your up-coming nuptials, I thought it was August?

Edited by Benji

Yeah...I wouldn't choose Miami. The service down here is horrible, I think the service industry's motto is "F--K You". Lately, the weather hasn't been nice...I mean it goes from extreme hot to horrid rains, and then there is the humidity. But, the beaches are nice (Weather preempting). There are some gay-friendly venues around.

-Jules

And I already vowed to avoid Florida for a longgg time when I was last there in 1997.

I think we would have it much easier in NYC with all of that mass transportation and idealistic location. I'm no expert, but I've been in the city fairly often enough (like a few times per year). The subway system confuses me so much and I haven't figured out what the colors with letters and numbers on it. In Montreal, we just use a color and a direction name (like...green line named "Honor

Edited by Jack Frost
And I already vowed to avoid Florida for a longgg time when I was last there in 1997.

I think we would have it much easier in NYC with all of that mass transportation and idealistic location. I'm no expert, but I've been in the city fairly often enough (like a few times per year). The subway system confuses me so much and I haven't figured out what the colors with letters and numbers on it. In Montreal, we just use a color and a direction name (like...green line named "Honor

I don't think I would stay in the city overnight... it just seems easier to take a cab back to the train station and take the train back to me car and go home for the night.

Will you take me with you?

We have one thing on common...we don't like icky touches with NY.

Edited by Jack Frost
Will you take me with you?

We have one thing on common...we don't like icky touches with NY.

*shudders at the thought of an extended stay in NY*

Sure, we have extra beds in my parents' house.

NY is great for day trips... not so sure if I can say the same of overnighters.

*shudders at the thought of an extended stay in NY*

Sure, we have extra beds in my parents' house.

NY is great for day trips... not so sure if I can say the same of overnighters.

GREAT - so we can all stay at Rknapp's house! SWEET!

• Site Administrator
I could definitely organize if it's Anaheim! And I'd definitely be there :P

I can see the look on Rich's face when you tell him we are all sleeping at your house

I'm sure they have a dirt cheap rack rate at the Grand Califorian........right :P