Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes problems?

I have a favor to ask... Please be honest with me; are there problems with Changing Lanes? If so, I need to know.

I've noticed that the thread activity has been steadily dropping since Changing Lanes began, so I think there is a problem. Part of it is that a sequel has a more limited audience than the original. That much I expected. However, I think this must go deeper than that.

Looking back, maybe it's too wordy, not enough happening in the early chapters? Is it lacking in some (or several) areas? Please let me know, and also any suggestions for improving it.

CJ

• Site Moderator

It could be due to a drop in traffic as most schools are in session now and people are adjusting to a different routine.

Some people may not like sequels.

It's up to the author to set the pace for their story. If the author wants to start out slow setting up the story before speeding it up, that is up to them.

You're one author that participates in the story discussion and a lot of people like that. Granted, while you were gone things slowed down in speculating but we did try to keep things going.

I personally, have not problems with ClifF.

No idea why it's dropped to be honest, it could be what TalonRider has said.

Only other thing I could think of. Brandon drawled them in, yet I thought it wasn't as action packed, but even the first one did't start that way at first, like benji said, can't relaly top a nuke. just an extra thought.

Edited by Drewbie
No idea why it's dropped to be honest, it could be what TalonRider has said.

Things are getting busy there is nothing wrong with the story for sure. Keep doing your usual GREAT work. :worship:

It could be due to a drop in traffic as most schools are in session now and people are adjusting to a different routine.

Some people may not like sequels.

It's up to the author to set the pace for their story. If the author wants to start out slow setting up the story before speeding it up, that is up to them.

You're one author that participates in the story discussion and a lot of people like that. Granted, while you were gone things slowed down in speculating but we did try to keep things going.

I personally, have not problems with ClifF.

B) ................I would have to agree with Talonrider, also with school back in session comment. The story so far is a little anti-climatic, but how do you top nukes?? I'm sure once a villain is introduced changing lanes will change pace. I have no qualms either with CLiFF.

B) ................I would have to agree with Talonrider, also with school back in session comment. The story so far is a little anti-climatic, but how do you top nukes?? I'm sure once a villain is introduced changing lanes will change pace. I have no qualms either with CLiFF.

CJ, you're an amazing author and I personally love CLiFF, but I do have to agree that I don't read it that often because of school. Also I agree with Benji, once a villan is introduced it'll bring up the traffic.

Keep up the amazing work CJ!

Eric

The story is just fine. I think Jan is right. The traffic on all of GA is down as of late because of college classes starting again. It does seem to balance back out by later in the year, so I'm not too worried. I'm sure people are still reading it when they have time. Unfortunately, many people will read stories and not respond in threads. It's an undeniable fact. The story itself is good. I know we all are ready for action, but we need to remember that it's still early on in the story, assuming it's going to be as long as LTMP.

• Site Administrator

My reasons for not posting has been very pragmatic. As one of the beta readers, I know more about the story than has been posted and I therefore try not to post because I don't want to accidentally say something because I've misremembered whether something has been in a posted chapter.

Having said that, it's a good story :) Don't worry about it. I recently went back to my Heart of The Tree discussion thread in the Story Cafe and I noticed that there were no comments for a big chunk of the story, and then a huge number as the story started to conclude. People were reading it, but not commenting until they had something to say.

I've had other authors notice similar things. The conclusion I came to was that the more you are perceived as a 'good' author, the more likely people won't comment because they don't have much more to say than 'I enjoyed it' and hence don't want to say something so trivial to a 'great author'. Too many people don't realise that authors like those comments, too :D

• Site Moderator
My reasons for not posting has been very pragmatic. As one of the beta readers, I know more about the story than has been posted and I therefore try not to post because I don't want to accidentally say something because I've misremembered whether something has been in a posted chapter.

I've had other authors notice similar things. The conclusion I came to was that the more you are perceived as a 'good' author, the more likely people won't comment because they don't have much more to say than 'I enjoyed it' and hence don't want to say something so trivial to a 'great author'. Too many people don't realise that authors like those comments, too :D

I'm like you Graeme, in commenting on stories in which I edit. I too don't want to give anything away.

I'm guilty of not posting comments some times. I may not always email the author after each chapter, but I've been known to comment on more than one chapter.

• Site Administrator

CJ, I agree with most of what everyone said above. Hopefully you didn't misunderstand my comment of Jon, Brandon, and Chase being background characters in this new story.

The way I see it is you're the author, and you have a planned direction you are taking the story. I can not imagine you having any sanity left if you tried to reach that goal while at the same time try to please every reader. After all, it is your story.

Now as far as feedback, I'll give one possible reason that maaaaaaaaybe contributing to a bit fewer posting in the forum. I have already called my psychologist for an immediate appointment for after I actually post this :P . So far in CLiFF there hasn't been any extreme cliffhangers that have made you famous and they may be missed by some of us. I think most of the posting occurs after you give us one of your trademark doosies.

That being said, I know you don't write for just the reason of having a number of posts in your forum. Like I said, if you were planning a different direction than LTMP, then don't abandon that plan for what you think we want.

Well I'm off now to have a chat with Dr. Feelgood :lol:

Steve B)

oops, wrong doctor :P

Edited by wildone

I agree it might just be seasonal and people have been busy with school and other projects.

But CJ with your return, the King is in the building and we can be pretty sure to keep an eye on sharp cliff like ledges.

It is your story and baby, you write well and I cannot wait for the next chapter.

I'm still reading and enjoying it. I haven't been posting as much because of my work schedule. I work at a school and I am taking a few classes. It's just late by the time I get done reading and I know I'll hate myself the next day if I don't get some sleep.

I noticed that activity on the site goes up and down. This is one of thoese down times. So keep on writing! (or there will be a goat roast!!! :devil: )

Your stories are all great. You have nothing to worry about.

Thank you everyone! :)

I do freely admit, I tend to be a little on the self-doubting side when it comes to my writing, so I do have a penchant for worry. :) I'll keep going with CL as-is. Interestingly, a few points raised here are in the written but as-yet unposted chapters. :)

BTW Ch 9, Train Wreck, will post sometime... Not quite sure when, still working on it, but it will be before noon on Tuesday, AZ time, so less than 24 hours from now.

CJ :)

• Site Administrator

Hey :angry: ,

In your post at 12:28 pm MST yesterday you said less than 24 hours from now!! It is now 12:36 pm MST today. What gives???

Just kidding, I will be anxiously waiting for the new chapter :lol: .

Thanks on the reassurances everyone. :) I very much appreciate it. :)

Hey :angry: ,

In your post at 12:28 pm MST yesterday you said less than 24 hours from now!! It is now 12:36 pm MST today. What gives???

Just kidding, I will be anxiously waiting for the new chapter :lol: .

Should be within the hour.. Sorry, there's been some major overhauls to 10 and 11, and I need to make sure 9 isn't affected. :)

Well I am liking it anyway just that I am reading it in print off from brought in to me as they appear copies. I've had some spine surgery cos a disc went iffy on me.. Oh well I've found I'm enjoying it as much especially now scar has appeared he is just so nasty and has a barrel full of grudges..

PS I got e new little ten inch acer laptop that I can use in bed... giggle.. so am connected sometimes when I'm not sposed to be...

Peter

Well I am liking it anyway just that I am reading it in print off from brought in to me as they appear copies. I've had some spine surgery cos a disc went iffy on me.. Oh well I've found I'm enjoying it as much especially now scar has appeared he is just so nasty and has a barrel full of grudges..

PS I got e new little ten inch acer laptop that I can use in bed... giggle.. so am connected sometimes when I'm not sposed to be...

Peter

Hope you feel better soon and congrats on the laptop!

Hope you feel better soon and congrats on the laptop!

B) .............Many of you are missing the point here, if the goat doesn't get enough then we will suffer cliffhangers from him in the future. :lol: His Shadowyness is involved, but it is the goats final say in such matters here.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..