There are Herald-Mages. Dalen's uncle, Prince Dellinar is a Herald-Mage, as is Herald-Mage Torrence who taught Dalen back at Haven. Herald-Mages didn't exist in Valdemar from the time of Herald-Mage Vanyel Ashkevron until the time (some 700 years later) of Herald-Mage Princess Elspeth. Common usage is to call a Herald-Mage 'Herald' unless it's a formal occasion (like being introduced at a foreign court).

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator

Thanks Dan and Jan for clearing that up.

It also made me check something else out. I remembered this passage from the first chapter:

• Site Administrator

Yikes, that was an ominous foretelling in the last sentance :o .

Actually I liked this chapter, it kind of was interesting to find out what Dalen doesn't know how to do, and where he may be inadequate (don't know if that's the best word) to face the challenges ahead.

I'm glad that Lee took the time to explain Conn's aprehensions to Dalen so he could understand him better. I also wonder if Dalen snapping at Lee was a way to have a conversation with Conn without having to reveal the true meaning behind it and why he was having it.

I imagine that there will be a big battle coming up before the reinforcements arrive and that will be the true test of Dalen's ability to lead.

Thanks Allen :worship:

• Site Moderator

All sorts of little surprises in these two chapters.. You'd think by now Dalen would learn to expect the unexpected. Just when he thinks he can hand over command to a Herald, the Herald has new orders for him. And now he has to put up with a Bard.

Definitely some good reading Allen.

Having finally gotten some free time to get back to GA a bit more regularly and having gotten through all that I've missed from my favourite GA authors, I saw this and the title looked interesting. I almost stopped reading when I saw the genre (not my cup of tea until I read the first Rich Boys on a certain goats' recommendation) but I decided to read the first chapter before deciding... well, that killed most of my afternoon as I didn't stop until the end of Ch.14 (and DK, I'm looking forward to more Rich Boys... soon?)

I think Dalen's reaction to the physical appearance of the Bard is a strong hint at his sexuality especially what we learned about his feelings about bards in general and this one in particular. I also thought I saw a hint that he'll eventually decide that having a Companion choose him would not be so bad (and they seem to be ready to jump at the chance) and he'll fall into the footsteps of his famous Herald-Mage ancestors.

In earlier chapters I was thinking that at the end of this series he'll become the presumptive heir to the throne over his uncle, especially given the key responsibilities he was given in Haven with his uncles absence and his conversations with the king.

I also think that Dalen's mother is somehow backing or providing info to the attacking forces.

I guess I've found a reason to break down and get a library card... Most of Lackey's earlier works aren't available at Indigo Books (think Canada's Amazon) but they have it at the library down the street...

Steve

• Site Administrator

I love Allen's story. I also love Mercedes Lackey (Magic's Pawn and Brightly Burning are my two favorite novels.)

• Site Administrator

Wow, a lot of building tension. I imagine the next chapter should be a great one :2thumbs: .

I wasn't too surprised with Dalen's reaction to being named in command of the group. He has shown all along that he has been waiting for the day when he would be able to turn over the command and then follow directions rather than give them.

It was interesting that he came to the realization that he may actually want/need to be Chosen to continue on his current path.

The Bard kind of interests me. Obviously Dalen is attracted to his looks, but he is very weary of his occupation. Makes you wonder if the bard has other motives than to just record history as Dalen leads this group into battle against Blood Mages.

One question. I have read some fantasy before (LOTR being the first and the most impressionable), and most books have a map of the land that the story is set upon. Did Mercedes Lacky include a map of Valdemaran and the surrounding countries? And if there was, any chance of it being posted? I imagine that there might be legal considerations on this, but just curious if this would be possible.

Thanks for the chapter :worship:

Steve

• Site Moderator

If there isn't a map, then maybe Allen can have made drawn up. I've been reading a couple of stories, online, where the authors have posted a map of the stories world.

A map can help in following the story.

I found this hand-drawn map: http://etcetera-cat.tripod.com/id36.html It is a little rough and not as scale as the official map in the Valdemar Companion, but it hits the main details. From the descriptions, Burnham would be off to the north and west of the menmillith border with the area Dalen's in now being south of the towns listed.

• Site Administrator

Thanks Dan :worship: , that helps a lot.

Wow, did the latest chapter fly by like it was only a paragraph or two :P ?

I was unaware that the blood mage was disguised and had managed to manipulate the whole farm to trick the Guards and Dalen. If anything, I was expecting all three men to be just regular farmers who may have been under threat to mislead lead Dalen to the direction they left in. Was I ever surprised.

So much more I want to say, but I'll hold off for a bit. One thing I find hilarious is the Companion's comment to Dalen. For some reason I have this picture in my mind of a field full of Companions sitting around talking about Dalen and making fun of him :D . Their wit and humour has me cracking up every time one of them uses mindspeak with Dalen.

Thanks Allen :2thumbs:

Edited by wildone
  • Site Moderator

I was expecting some kind of trap but not this. Dalen better be careful or he'll become known as Dalen the Mage Killer. That's two now. That was a sneaky way of killing this blood mage.

I'm surprised two companions didn't show up. I bet those are some amusing conversations between the Companions. Makes me wonder how they will react when the companion get's the urge to go find Dalen.

It makes me wonder if the companions that Dalen has been around haven't picked up on Dalens latest feelings towards being chosen.

Here's the links to the two maps that I mentioned previously, The Scrolls of Icaria and The Chronicle of Kadin.

Well I was reading the first new chapter and thought I'd save the second chapter for today... then I realized I'd finished the second chapter and thought they were really short (especially ch.16) until I checked the file size and was surprised it was the same as most other chapters.

I was wondering why the Companions haven't picked up Dalen's change of heart either but I'm betting it'll be an important plot point in some future chapter. Dalen certainly handled the more experienced (and prepared) blood alot more handily than he was anticipating.

I still think he'll end up as monarch rather than the new super Herald-Mage and that the reason the Companion's are ignoring his change of heart... that or they realize that everyone around Dalen seem to get hurt\killed. :P

It's looking more and more likely with each chapter that Dalen's mother is behind the recent hostilities (maybe her ambitions and resentment about being removed from court are getting the better of her).

Steve

Myr,

I'm assuming you'd be the most "in the know" with Allen but does he have other stories already written that will be coming to GA shortly or will his previous works just be staying where-ever they are already posted? I'm assuming his future work will be posted on GA as it's written.

Steve

• Site Administrator

Steve,

Allen has a number of stories already complete. They are in the editing process, last I heard.

Myr

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Companion already on the way...it's just taking him/her longer to get there.

For those that haven't read the Valdemar stories, Companions are very special creatures. They are, with VERY few exceptions, reincarnated Heralds or Companions. The first Companions were all 'Grove-born' Companions, higher-level spirits sent by the gods to aid Valdemar's first King. After that, they reproduced in a more normal manner, and Heralds are able to be reincarnated as a Companion, bringing the wisdom gained in their previous life with them. In the books, we see Herald-Mage Savil Ashkevron being reborn as the Companion Sayvil, and a few other examples.

The exceptions are the Companions to the Monarch's Own Herald. That is a position of great power and trust in the Kingdom, often second only to the Monarch of the time in authority. That Companion is always Grove-born and lives until they are physically killed (unlike other Companions that die when their Chosen Herald dies). There are five different Companions to the Monarch's Own, and when one of them dies, one of the other four usually arrive to take their place. In the Winds of Fate trilogy, Companion Gwyna was Grove-Born, and Chose Princess Elspeth the Heir to the throne and the woman who became the first Herald-Mage since the time of Vanyel Ashkevron.

I just hope that Allen doesn't take the approach of a Grove-Born Companion for Dalen. It'd be a little much to stack on top of everything else the poor guy is going through right now. As for using his Fetching gift to clog the mage's arteries, that's an interesting concept. Guess there really is more than one way to skin the cat (as the old saying goes). I think the inventiveness that Dalen's always shown is coming through with some interesting uses now.

• Site Administrator
I just hope that Allen doesn't take the approach of a Grove-Born Companion for Dalen. It'd be a little much to stack on top of everything else the poor guy is going through right now. As for using his Fetching gift to clog the mage's arteries, that's an interesting concept. Guess there really is more than one way to skin the cat (as the old saying goes). I think the inventiveness that Dalen's always shown is coming through with some interesting uses now.

Dan, are you Shin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Moderator

Chapter 17 has been posted.

I would not want to be in Dalen's shoe's right now. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think a certain mother is probably behind whats happened. Maybe that feeling the Dalen had was trying to warn him of this situation.

Will Dalen turn command over to one of the Herald's present and return to Haven, or will he stay where he's at?

I still think he'll end up as monarch rather than the new super Herald-Mage and that the reason the Companion's are ignoring his change of heart... that or they realize that everyone around Dalen seem to get hurt\killed. :P

It's looking more and more likely with each chapter that Dalen's mother is behind the recent hostilities (maybe her ambitions and resentment about being removed from court are getting the better of her).

Steve

I'm still sticking to my prediction from Chapter 16. I think the reason that Dalen had the urge to return to Haven is Dell's injuries will be severe enough that Dalen will be appointed King (at some point) or at least as in a position to act on behalf of the Crown until Dell regains consciousness. And I still maintain that "Mommy Dearest" is up to her neck in this.

I think Dalen will appoint the senior Herald to command the military force and return to Haven to check things out and that's where we'll move to more political intrigue.

Steve