I'm still holding out for Dalen and Bart to be together. Since Dalen currently has control of the heart stone, I think he will be keeping it if and when they regain control of Haven. That would more or less keep him there were Bart will be most of the time, when he's not away on Kings business.

Blake has made his choice.

Mmm, I don't think they will be romantically involved because of this little snippet:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator

The bond they do share is due to their twin companions. There is the chance that Blake and Dalen are somehow related to each other, though far removed like very distant cousins.

Blake has already told us that where he came from, they don't talk about such things.

I think those six weeks stuck inside the gate changed Dalen in more ways than we think about. Before that, he couldn't/wouldn't let himself relax around other people. Chances are, when he was with Bart, he let his shields down, so to speak, and got comfortable with him, but that we don't know that since we don't actually know how much time they spent together.

With the time spent in the gate learning, I don't think he had much time to think of himself or others. So when he finally got out of the gate, he was so happy, that he grabbed and kissed the first person he saw. And that just happened to be Blake.

That's kind of what I'm getting at... I forsee Bart being Dalen's romantic interest but the close relationship between Blake and Dalen is a precursor to him becoming King's Own Herald when Dell dies. If I remember the role of King's Own, it is to provide support and honest council to the King. I could see Blake easily being the Herald that will always tell Dalen what he needs to hear and has the opposite background of Dalen. I see Bart being replaced as King's Own as a romantic attachment would make it difficult to always be the "honest council" of the KO role.

HHhhhmmmmm, I guess my desperation only made me check for Chapter 28 too soon. I'll comment more when others have had a chance to read it. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who reads the forums before reading the chapter.

I will say nothing in this chapter contradicted what I said in my previous post.

Steve

Yeah that was kinda weird. lol. Really liked this chapter, looks like things are finally moving along.

<Does little dance> Was right about them taking Burnham Vale, but it's a positive sign that the Haighlei, even with greater numbers can be beaten back. Though what's worrying are the sheer numbers of troops the Black Kings have at their disposal.

Also it was a stroke of genius that they are going to use the Plebiscites elections to their own advantage. :worship:

• Site Administrator

the new chapter is up. I really like the Askeverons.

It was interesting to get a proper insight into Ashkevrons and their dealings with the Tayledras; it certainly bodes well for fascinating times ahead.

I just wonder if Dalen should be worried as to what he's up against. We knew they were using blood magic, but tying the slaves to it is something new.

Edited by Sir Galahad

If the western sector outside of Forest Reach distrust mages and heralds because of magic, imagine how they'll react to the Black King's use of Blood Magic and slavery.

Yes, I too like the Ashkevrons. It's the first time in the story I really got the feeling that Dalen was happy and relaxed. That alone says alot about him and how he looked at by the Ashkevron clan.

This is such a well written & addictive story.

Steve

• Site Moderator

Dalen was a lot more at ease. Probably because he spent some of his earlier years at Forst Reach. That is until the two mages made an appearance and the Good Mage/Bad Mage routine started. Although, I think that was their way of feeling him out.

I too love that Dalen's back at Forst Reach. I was missing the 'ole place'. Love, love, love where this story is going and bow to the simple fact that Allen has taken it on and done such a brilliant job of it.

Dan had a post early on in this forum that good Fan Fiction is made on new characters in the original story's setting and that it should make the reader want to go back and read the orignial story. Totally agree. And I did (though I had to track my books down at my cousin's). It was a blast to read again the tales and trials and loves of Vanyel.

This latest chapter with the surprise of the hundreds of years long friendship between the Askevrons and the Tayledras was a GREAT tie in with The Last Herald Mage. Allen is a phenomenal writer. The only other fan fiction that I enjoyed this much and made me want to reread the original was from a certain "Mr. Kirk" and his Pern story. Great! Read it if you haven't.

Can't wait for 30 and Dalen's actual response to the news of the blood magic and the 'pending destruction of all that's good and sacred'.

• Site Moderator

Now, may be Dalen will learn to take things a little easier. And at last, he and Bart get to talk. I also like the way the chapter ended on a happy note.

Really glad that Bart is back, should be good for Dalen and keep him from doing stupid things that keep him harms way!

It does seem that they need some kind of miracle to beat the Haighlei, with the size of the cannons and sheer numbers of troops they have at their disposal. I do feel though that the Tayledras will play a vital role in the battles ahead.

I think there will be some major development as I don't see any easy way for Valdemar to win with the information we've learned in the last 2 chapters. I was glad to see a reappearance of Quinn & Bart, two of my favourite 2nd tier characters so far (still hoping that Bart will get a promotion at some point :wub: )

Steve

Is it me, or is the relationship between Blake & Dalen getting more complicated. Just when I think they won't get together, a spanner is thrown right in there that makes us think they will! Now they have to spend a year apart, so the answer is not going to be revealed anytime soon. Grrr. :P

Be interesting to see what plan they come up with to draw the Haighlei out of the cities. I guess a hit & run on their camps would do it, but I suppose that would only work for a few times before they catch on.

This story I have to say, gets more intriguing every week.

• Site Moderator
Is it me, or is the relationship between Blake & Dalen getting more complicated. Just when I think they won't get together, a spanner is thrown right in there that makes us think they will! Now they have to spend a year apart, so the answer is not going to be revealed anytime soon. Grrr. :P

Be interesting to see what plan they come up with to draw the Haighlei out of the cities. I guess a hit & run on their camps would do it, but I suppose that would only work for a few times before they catch on.

This story I have to say, gets more intriguing every week.

I think Blake does has some feelings for Dalen, he's just not ready to admit it yet. I think that time they were all talking, he was caught of guard and tried to cover it up. As we've seen, the companions seem to know the truth.

They definitely have their work cut out for them.

• Site Moderator

Thing seem to be settling down now for a little while. Burnham now has it's own heartstone. It would also appear that Dalen is still in denial. Maybe Bart isn't interested in Dalen in any other that as a friend. They never seem to have the time to spend together like the did before everything went to hell. Blakes gone for a long time and now we have the Bard, Carl, back in the picture.

The advice given to Dalen is sound. Live for today, not yesterday or tomorrow.

• Site Administrator

Not too often that I disagree with you Jan, but I do on your point of denial.

I think Dalen has long accepted him being shaych. I think he just fears to let others know and for him to pursue it for a couple of reasons.

First, he would be following in the footsteps of some of his ancestors. He does not want to have the same fate/destiny as them, but he also seems to have some foresight into his own destiny. Unfortunately a destiny that isn't too pretty.

Second, he doesn't want to condemn (strong word?) any potential mate to his destiny. He fears if he takes a lover, than that lover will either live in agony when he dies, or his lover will die with him.

In a way he fears the fears of any gay person, how will coming out effect myself, but more so (not necessarily true) others.

I do hope that he at least lets Carl bed with him, cause I don't think Carl will be, or wants to be his life mate and it may open Dalen's eyes to the pleasures.

I'm still holding out hope for Bart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hhhhmmm, just checking what's new after getting back from a long holiday weekend... Was hoping for my weekly Dalen fix but no such luck.

Dalen and Carl really doesn't do anything for me but I'm still holding hope for Dalen and Bart! :wub:

Steve

• Site Moderator
Dalen and Carl really doesn't do anything for me but I'm still holding hope for Dalen and Bart! :wub:

I don't think it work either. I think it was Carl who said earlier that he wasn't looking for anything permanent.

Myr suggested a while back that there were many more chapters to come (as in this is a very long story). Maybe we're missing the obvious... the love interest hasn't been introduced yet and Carl, Bart & Blake are just the "warm up act" for Dalen to accept his true nature and not to worry about history repeating itself.

Steve