I think you're right, Steve. It's been lingering in the back of my thought that this story is going to continue for a long while and all this speculation about Bart or Carl is possibly mute as we haven't met his Mr. Right yet.

I love that Dalen appears to be the most powerful Herald Mage in the land. Love that. Can't blame him for the fears of comparison with Vanyel. Big shoes to live up to!

Drew

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator

There are 36 Chapters.... so we have only a few left.

• Site Moderator

Finally, Dalen does it.

And we have a new character in the mix who just happens to know Bart, very well, I might add. I do have to wonder what Barts real reason was for being there the night before.

It will also be interesting to see what kind of relationship develops between Gavin and Dalen.

• Site Administrator

This chapter had me grinning and laughing through out. It definitely was a feel good chapter that distracted me from all the other things going on.

I wonder though, was Dalen's first instincts towards Gavin correct? When Bart appeared it seems that Dalen's questions about Gavin were erased. Should they have been?

Kudos to Carl for curing Dalen of his virginity. :P

Wonder if Dalen will soon have a new nickname amongst the other Heralds and Mages, I know Jadev will be calling him something soon enough :lol: .

Thanks for the chapter :worship:

• Site Moderator

I'm beginning to think that Bart was trying to play matchmaker just a little. He did insist that Dalen stay in the room and he's know Dalen for a year now. He's known Gavin even longer. And I think he deliberately brought up Gavin's trading of feathers.

I'm happy to have another chapter to read. I think we just found Dalen's love interest. Bart playing match-maker didn't occur to me when I read the chapter but I can easily see it. Gavin would be a good fit for Dalen and alleviate some of his worries his mate repeating the history of Vanyl & Bard Steffan. Gavin would make his chances of following Elsbeth & her partner.

Steve

He finally gets laid!! Woo hoo. :lol:

I'm wondering about Gavin as well. Dalen's first instinct was of distrust, I wonder if there is a sting in the tail sometime down the road where he's proven correct.

• Site Moderator

It would seem that the Haighlei are still trying to find a way to control Dell. One might think "Mother Dearest" is involved in this kidnapping. I don't think so. It's just a coincidence that Dalen and Gaven have backtracked the gate to Haven.

Haven would the be the most secure area in Valdemar to keep any captors. I thought for a moment when it looked like the King was going to go on the rescue that Dalen would shortly be King not Heir.

Holding the Royal family in Haven might not be the smartest act either... both Dell & Dalen would probably know more about the Royal Palace than Dalen's mother and the Hailegh combined... plus they'll have a fully recharged Hearstone at their bidding.

Steve

I think moving them to Haven was the wisest thing the Haighlei could do; it is heavily guarded after all. That said, I think we're still unsure of what Dalen left behind when he was there last, so this could turn out to be very interesting....or a trap!

• Site Moderator
Haven would the be the most secure area in Valdemar to keep any captors. I thought for a moment when it looked like the King was going to go on the rescue that Dalen would shortly be King not Heir.

Holding the Royal family in Haven might not be the smartest act either... both Dell & Dalen would probably know more about the Royal Palace than Dalen's mother and the Hailegh combined... plus they'll have a fully recharged Hearstone at their bidding.

Steve

I think moving them to Haven was the wisest thing the Haighlei could do; it is heavily guarded after all. That said, I think we're still unsure of what Dalen left behind when he was there last, so this could turn out to be very interesting....or a trap!

This could also be a scheme to get Dalen back in Have also, knowing that either Dell or Dalen would come to the rescue.

I thought it was also ironic that now that Dalen is a Herald-Mage, he's put into his first Mentoring assignment with Gavin. It might be in part because they have been working together as mages.

Aside from Dalen's obvious interest in Gavin, I'm wondering if he requested Gavin as the other Herald Mage on his team because his training would be different & complimentary to his own. Also because he's the next most powerful mage after Dalen.

There seems to be alot to wrap up in two chapters even if the time line moves as fast as it did in this chapter.

Steve

• Site Administrator

Thanks for the chapter RC :worship: .

First thing first, did Dalen seem in a much better mood and joking with others and overall had a better outlook? Funny what getting L*#d can do for a guy :lol: .

A couple of things came to mind and both had to do with under estimating by the Haileigh. One, are the expecting that Dell will come to the rescue? They were able to subdue him once before, so are they thinking they can do it again. Two, Steve mentioned that there is a fully charged Heartstone waiting in Haven which has a liking and a linking to Dalen. Will it be able to supply him with enough power to defeat any mage drawing from Blood Magic?

Really liked the chapter, and want you to know if you want to extend by like another 15-20 chapters, I won't be offended :lol: .

The other Steve B)

I agree with Steve, I think they are expecting Dell to come to the rescue & not two very powerful mages. Also Dragon makes a good point about the spells Dalen cast last time he was with the Haven heartstone. I still believe he did something that we don't know about yet.

How many chapters are left?

There are 36 Chapters.... so we have only a few left.

I still think there's alot to cover in two chapters but they'll definitely be exciting!

Steve

BTW, Steve... maybe we should use Steve - Canada East & Steve - Canada West :D

• Site Moderator

I'm just doing some speculating here, but we could either be doing a lot of fast forwards thru time. Or, do I smell another part to the story?

I think it would be hard to fast-forward thru reclaiming the Royal family but given the number of remaining chapters I think that we'll have another story (soon hopefully). The battle for Haven would certainly start the next story off quickly. Mercedes Lackey seems to write her stories in a series of 3 books so I wonder if Allen is doing the same.

Steve - Canada East

• Site Administrator

or....

I was thinking that the Battle for Haven could be done in a couple of chapters with what I'm hoping is Dalen's victory and the driving out of the Hileigh. Since Burnham is more or less the capital in exile, I can forsee Dell and family taking up residence in Haven and with some stratigic building of permanent gates, he could visit other areas of the county including Burnham easily.

BTW, does anyone else have a uneasy feeling that we really haven't heard much about Dalen's Mom? I guess she may be the one weak link in Dalen's chain, as he seems to 'understand' what she has done, even though he doesn't approve of it.

Steve - Canada West

• Site Administrator

The story wraps very nicely with chapter 36. While there is room for a sequel at some point, it's not next on the list. (unless Alan radically changes what's he's told me he's up to)

The story wraps very nicely with chapter 36. While there is room for a sequel at some point, it's not next on the list. (unless Alan radically changes what's he's told me he's up to)

Well, all I can say is that it's going to be an action packed two chapters. There does seem to be a hell of a lot to cram in. I sit here impatiently. :P ....

Is it ready yet......

Is it still not ready? [huffs]

[Gives Myr seductive wink and leer] ......Are you sure it's not ready? :wub: