• Site Moderator

If he does gate to Haven and has to return to the field. I at least hope he find Bart and take him back with him. I think he could use a friend in camp, since Paet is out in the field.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator

Chapter 18 has been posted.

I'd forgotten about the Heart stone. Dalen does need to go back to at least take control of it. I think if he can gain control of it quickly, no one will be able to get to him like the blood-mage did.

It also looks like our suspicions were correct about 'mother'. I do believe she's a willing participant and not being forced to do what she's doing.

Dalen might feel an attraction towards the Bard, but I think his true feelings when he has time to think about them, will lead him to Bart.

• Site Administrator

Chapter 19 is Up :worship: .

Brace yourself, the second line is a doozy :P .

It is interesting that Dalen is so worried about being thought of his ancestor and now he has to learn from a spirit.

I was actually worried that the Black Kings had maybe altered the way gates were used and somehow using blood magic, directed Dalen to their location. I guess I'm relieved in one sense, but wonder how long this spirit will take before Dalen can escape.

Thanks for the chapter

Steve

Call me crazy, but I really like this little curveball. The second line was a real tear-jerker (well, in a way). It's also nice to see the characters be more human in this respect. I mean c'mon, it happens in real life but how often do we see things like that in stories? It was funny. :)

It's a good thing it wasn't the black kings that altered the gate, but I worry that Dalen may end up trapped in that place for so long that events back in Valdemar move without him. We'll see I guess...

• Site Moderator
Chapter 19 is Up :worship: .

Brace yourself, the second line is a doozy :P .

It is interesting that Dalen is so worried about being thought of his ancestor and now he has to learn from a spirit.

I was actually worried that the Black Kings had maybe altered the way gates were used and somehow using blood magic, directed Dalen to their location. I guess I'm relieved in one sense, but wonder how long this spirit will take before Dalen can escape.

Thanks for the chapter

Steve

Call me crazy, but I really like this little curveball. The second line was a real tear-jerker (well, in a way). It's also nice to see the characters be more human in this respect. I mean c'mon, it happens in real life but how often do we see things like that in stories? It was funny. :)

It's a good thing it wasn't the black kings that altered the gate, but I worry that Dalen may end up trapped in that place for so long that events back in Valdemar move without him. We'll see I guess...

Yeah, that line was funny. At least it didn't happen when they went to bed for the night. That really could have ruined the mood. The night was something that Dalen needed, the comfort of another person with no strings. After what the Spirit told him, I guess we can consider that the first step for him.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that where Dalen is, is somehow protected from time. It could be that when he does return, not much, if any, time has passed.

Well, the new chapter is up and boy were there a LOT of answers. (Spoilers follow)

Gotta say...I love the 'beast'.

Don't know about the new look...but yeah, having read all the books it fits with what would have happened.

Oh, and poor Blake...it looks like Dalen's a little more forward now!

• Site Moderator
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that where Dalen is, is somehow protected from time. It could be that when he does return, not much, if any, time has passed.

I wasn't too far off with my prediction as it turned out to be six weeks that had passed. I'm guessing that the next step is to return to 'Prince's Retreat' to find out what's been going one during that time frame.

Well, the new chapter is up and boy were there a LOT of answers. (Spoilers follow)

Gotta say...I love the 'beast'.

Don't know about the new look...but yeah, having read all the books it fits with what would have happened.

Oh, and poor Blake...it looks like Dalen's a little more forward now!

Get Dalen into his whites and I bet he'll come close to blending in with a white wall.

That was a bit of surprise to see Dalen get so forward. Imagine the Bard's surprise if Dalen does it to him. But I'm still holding out for Bart, providing mother dearest hasn't taken him out.

And next time, I bet the 'beast' will be a little quicker getting thru the gate.

Great chapter Allen.

The next few chapters should be really interesting for Valdemar and "mommy-dearest". With Dalen now a Herald-Mage and able to speak & perform both Tayledras & Valdemarian magic, he really is following in the footsteps of Vanyel. And it's about time I got some predictions about a story correct:

I also thought I saw a hint that he'll eventually decide that having a Companion choose him would not be so bad (and they seem to be ready to jump at the chance) and he'll fall into the footsteps of his famous Herald-Mage ancestors.

In earlier chapters I was thinking that at the end of this series he'll become the presumptive heir to the throne over his uncle, especially given the key responsibilities he was given in Haven with his uncles absence and his conversations with the king.

I also think that Dalen's mother is somehow backing or providing info to the attacking forces.

Steve

I also would like to see Dalen with Bart (if he's just in jail and hasn't been executed for making the Regent's life difficult). Blake seems like he'd be quite the hotty too.

Steve

Hey guys,

Don't really post that much to any forum, but am gripped by Tests Of Blood. Know he's a hosted author 'n all, but surprised there is no dedicated forum etc linked to his page. Maybe he likes his inbox empty! lol

Back to the story though, I think we all saw Dalens companion coming, but looking forward to seeing how things progress with his new found confidence, abilities & (maybe) new love interest!

Adrian

Edited by Sir_Galahad
Hey guys,

Don't really post that much to any forum, but am gripped by Tests Of Blood.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Welcome! You're not the only one who was gripped by Tests of Blood. I'd never heard of Mercedes Lackey until I read the first chapter of ToB, but I've been hooked on them ever since.

Your right that Allen seems to be set up differently than other Hosted Authors but I'm of the mind that I'd rather he be writing chapters than forum posts or responses to emails. Maybe we'll see more from him once he gets a few more stories out.

Steve

• Site Administrator

"Wow" as Blake said in this chapter, what a great chapter :worship:

I agree with everything said, but one thing really stuck out in my mind in this chapter:

The emotional attachment that seems to be instantly formed between the characters and the reader. Was it just me or did anyone else actually feel on the verge of tears when they realized that this would be the end of Windfire k'Chona? Really, we only had a chance to get to know him over two half chapters.

Then there is Blake. Other than the scene where he is chosen, much to Dalen's relief, he reappears and I begin to wonder if he will be the one that Dalen ends up with. I know it was just one kiss, but the guy has grown on me so much.

I would say that Allen's characters don't need long at all to develop a place in the story and in the readers hearts and minds. A true indication of a great story and a great author.

I'm curious about the Prince's Retreat, and if all the Royalists have amassed there to build up their resistance to the Loyalists and Dalen's mother. I wonder what the Heralds are all up to, if they have been all arrested as well.

Yes, a lot of questions answered, but even more have risen.

Thanks so much,

Steve

Edited by wildone

I really enjoyed the interaction between Jadev & Dalen and found it curious that Blake could hear Jadev and Dalen could hear Radev. It'll be interesting how the decision makers at Prince's retreat react to Dalen now being the most eligible to ascend to the throne. How will mommy-dearest take the news.

Steve

• Site Moderator
I really enjoyed the interaction between Jadev & Dalen and found it curious that Blake could hear Jadev and Dalen could hear Radev. It'll be interesting how the decision makers at Prince's retreat react to Dalen now being the most eligible to ascend to the throne. How will mommy-dearest take the news.

Steve

I think Dalen has been able to hear most of the Companions that we've encountered so far. I'm guessing that Blake may be able to hear both is that Jadev and Radev are twins.

• Site Administrator

The new chapter is up now. Sorry for the delay. I post all of Allen's stuff and my schedule has been insane.

Myr

No worries. Another superb chapter & the plot thickens. I do have a feeling Dalen is going to have to move against his Mother in a later chapter. I still think she had some part in the assassination, but guess the details still need to be fleashed out.

Really like the interaction with his companion as well, gonna be a few choice words spoken between those two further down the line.

• Site Administrator

Steve, I know exactly how you feel. I accidentally got caught up reading one of the chapters I was posting and I went back and reread the unedited completed version I have in a secure location. (I granted Allen Hosted author status based on his unedited Tests and some other stories that are going through editing.)

Mercedes Lackey is one of my favorite authors (I own all 30 of the Valdemar Novels) and I really really like Allen's contribution.

I hope to have the next chapter up either Friday or Saturday. (I have it, but my schedule through the end of the week is a bit hectic)

Myr

It's a good enough read that I spent time reading even while at Disney World. :)

I think Dalen's got a lot on his plate, and he better listen to the people he has advising him, or things will go pretty bad (including his Companion, whose sense of humor I love!).

It's a good enough read that I spent time reading even while at Disney World. :)

Wow, now that's what call dedication! lol.

Perhaps we can bribe Myr into revealing secure location of unedited version. Mmmmm, would have to something tempting......hot......& sweet.

How about, a coffee & donut. :lmao:

Edited by Sir_Galahad

Myr,

I can easily see why you selected Allen for Hosted from what I've read (and yes, I am somewhat jealous that you've got the inside scoop.) I started reading the Mercedes Lackey books after reading the first few chapters and have started working my way thru the series.

Steve

• Site Moderator

I doubt that Myr would do that. And if Allen should every need another editor, he can call on me.

I hope there are times where Dalen will be able to block out the Companion. I'm not sure I'd like have someone in the back of my head at certain times. Would the companion really want to know whats going on either.

I'm wondering if Dalen will have any problems Keying in to the heart stone. If blood magic is being used within the city, he could have a problem. Not completely knowing what Dalen was taught by the spirit, it's quite possible that he's now stronger than we know.

It would have been interesting to see how he would have greeted Carl, had he been the Bard present.

I have to think that Mother will let him walk around freely, but someone will be be watching him constantly. I have to agree, to stop Dalen in any way will tip her hand.