American Differences

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I hope you all enjoyed Chapter 24 of American Differences.

Thanks,

Emulated

Hi, I am new here and a little shy too, but I wanted to ask when the next chapter of American differences will be written. The story sure does mean a lot me.

Thanks

Hi, I am new here and a little shy too, but I wanted to ask when the next chapter of American differences will be written. The story sure does mean a lot me.

Thanks

Heya, aberlad! Welcome to GA! :2thumbs: I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Hehe, no need to be shy, everyone here are really nice! :D Head over to the lounge, or the games forum and make yourself heard!B)

Like Talon predicted below, he'll be receiving the chapter within the next few days, with a release for next Monday!

I've been spending the extra week looking at the future of the story and deciding on some large story arcs for the chapters to come. Things are going to get a little more fast-paced in places, so that should be pretty cool to read! ;) I hope you enjoy the next chapter!

@Emulated

One of the very few stories I follow.

I love it. .

Speaking of prom. . . it dreads me.

Hi k.Ben! Welcome to GA too! :2thumbs: I hope you also enjoy your stay here!

Thank you for the kind words. As said above, the next chapter should be out early next week! I hope you enjoy it.

Ah, the prom! Not sure if you were implying a prom in your life, or in the story, either way it's a tricky time for LGBTQ teens. There were a few guys I'd like to have asked to mine, but of course that wasn't exactly possible, given me being closeted, and them being straight. Still, I was fortunate as I went as a group, so no need to take a girl with me. I guess I got off lucky there! B)

I should be seeing the next chapter later this week which means you would then see it next week.

Yep, in a few days it'll be in your inbox! :) And a few days after that, it'll be with the rest of you!;)

Hi Kayden,

The funny thing is that I hear things from Matt that I don't think a Brit would say! So, where does Emulated come from - I was sure he was American, and you're sure he's British.

Probably that means he's steering a pretty good middle path!

LF

Edited by Low Flyer

Hey emulated! Just wanted to thank you for writing this story. I started reading it yesterday and didn't stop until I'd read the last chapter! It's such a sweet story and I'm terribly fond of Connor. :) I think true friendship is more beautiful and more important even than true love, and Connor is perfection personified. It's interesting for me, as an American, (born in California, no less!), to hear the perspective of a Brit, (English accent is far sexier than American, by the way...). I have noticed some occasions when Jamie said things that you'd never hear come from an American's mouth, but I can't fault you for that! I'm kind of wishing I'd gone to school in England now! :P This story has helped motivate me to get my own writing in gear, too, and since that's how I plan on supporting myself financially that's a very good thing. Anyway, I'm itching to find out what happens with Matt's parents and can't wait to read the next chapter, so don't keep us waiting too long! :P

Hi keyden! Welcome to GA!:2thumbs: I hope you enjoy your time here!

Thank you for the kind words, I'm pleased you're enjoying the story!

Connor is definitely a great guy, and in the most recent chapters we have really seen the type of bond that he has with Matt. It really is a beautiful thing.

Hehehe, not sure I agree with you on the accent! I'd be all over Jamie's anyday! ;)

Sorry about that! Replicating an American's way of speaking can be hard, even after reading HUNDREDS of chapters on here! (From American authors). Still, I am actively looking for an American beta-reader who'll pick out his lines and suggest alternatives that'll work. :lol:

If anything, this whole site should be able to motivate you to get your writing in gear. And with a goal like yours, (good luck!), be sure to ask about if you need any help/assistance with anything!

Hehe, the next chapter should be on its way real soon! It'll be worth it, promise!

Hi Kayden,

The funny thing is that I hear things from Matt that I don't think a Brit would say! So, where does Emulated come from - I was sure he was American, and you're sure he's British.

Probably that means he's steering a pretty good middle path!

LF

Really? Things that a Brit wouldn't say? ;) That's not good!:lol: No, it really depends on where you were when you were in the UK, and which age group you mixed with. Nowadays, at least with teens in high school and such, their vocabulary is getting more and more American. Just little things, but really noticeable.

But in terms of the story, let us not forget that Matt likes to throw in the odd American expression for things to tease Jamie. E.g. Mom vs Mum.

You're right there, I try to keep the story on a middle path, choosing words that both sides of the Atlantic would recognise and understand wherever I can, but naturally, it'll be distinctly English. B)

Emulated is British and his editor is American.

Brilliant editor, Talon, brilliant. :)

Oh, and to really spice things up, my beta reader is from Australia! How's that for diversity?! :D

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, TalonRider. I've obviously been away from the UK for longer than I thought...

LF

Like I said above, it really depends on where and who you mingled with. Some of the slang and stuff are things that Matt would say, but others are his attempt at mimicking Jamie.

I know I did. And you've left us with a bit of a cliffhanger.

I thought it was great chapter. It really showed the toll that the situation with Matt's parents has taken on Matt and to a slightly lesser degree Jamie. I can't wait to see the fallout from this new cliffhanger. I think Matt and Jamie are going to have to do some fancy footwork to get out of this situation.:read:

Sorry about that! Replicating an American's way of speaking can be hard, even after reading HUNDREDS of chapters on here! (From American authors). Still, I am actively looking for an American beta-reader who'll pick out his lines and suggest alternatives that'll work. :lol:

I know I did. And you've left us with a bit of a cliffhanger.

Thanks, Talon!

Oh, yes, just a little one. ;)

I thought it was great chapter. It really showed the toll that the situation with Matt's parents has taken on Matt and to a slightly lesser degree Jamie. I can't wait to see the fallout from this new cliffhanger. I think Matt and Jamie are going to have to do some fancy footwork to get out of this situation.:read:

Thanks, Librent!

Yep, quite a lot of fallout here. And some fancy footwork would definitely be needed, but how will Matt react under pressure? Does Li really know?

And I know someone who might be willing to be his campaign manager for that cliffhanger.

:devil:

Oh really? :P A campaign master? :D

No need to apologize, mate! (As an American I've never said "mate" before, but I've always wanted to! It's so much friendlier than "dude" or "man".) Anyway, you seriously shouldn't apologize. The instances where it happened were few and far between, and I doubt many people noticed, (if any), besides myself. I've been most impressed with your attention to detail in the language differences department. I don't think many people could notice all of the subtle nuances. If you're still looking for an American beta-reader I might be up to the task, if you're interested! :P

You're too kind, Kayden, but thanks a lot for the kind words! ^_^

Really? You've never said 'mate'? Hmm, it is kinda cool I suppose :P. Funnily enough, and earlier in this topic, Talon noticed that I used the line, "And here are my two friends..." In the story, and he pointed out that it was funny that I'd use 'friends' instead of the 'mate' that we use over here. Hehehe, if you tried to use 'dude' over here, people would just think you're trying to look cool or something.

Yeah? Ok, PM is in the mail! (Edit) Ok, it was, but you got to have more than 10 posts before you can receive them. So get posting already! ;-)

As for the language differences, I have to thank the American authors here, and good old American TV! (Yeah, Friends included!) B)

It's already started the creative juices flowing! Most of my novels aren't gay-related, but "American Differences" has inspired me to make an attempt at something worthy of being added to the stories on this site. wink.gif

That's good to hear! I'll keep an eye out in the forums in case you release something here!

What a shame! It's an outrage to corrupt the sexy lingo and accent of brits - an absolute outrage! angry.gif

Anyway, I read Chapter 25, and I'm very unhappy - because I didn't want it to end so quickly! smile.gif

You are truly a master storyteller, and if you ever decide to self-publish this story as a book once it's complete, I'll be the first to purchase a copy. worshippy.gif

I know, tell me about it...;) No, I share a similar view to Matt in that Americans are the ones with the sexy accents! :D

You had me scared there, I thought I'd messed up with the chapter! B) Still, I'll see what I can do about making it longer!

Awww, thanks again! I'm really pleased that you're enjoying the story! Hehe, I'm not looking to publish the story, but you'd get the one on the top of the pile! :D

Really? You've never said 'mate'? Hmm, it is kinda cool I suppose :P. Funnily enough, and earlier in this topic, Talon noticed that I used the line, "And here are my two friends..." In the story, and he pointed out that it was funny that I'd use 'friends' instead of the 'mate' that we use over here. Hehehe, if you tried to use 'dude' over here, people would just think you're trying to look cool or something.

Well, now I have.

I might be able to persuade the current reigning King to help out.

Reigning king....but that would mean...(looks below) OMG!!! :2thumbs:

Well, now I have. I plan on using it a lot more often, but it tends to make American guys uncomfortable, (the straight ones, anyway!) ^_^

P.S. I NEVER use the word "dude", or many other colloquial terms for that matter. I'm rather fond of "mate", though.

Really? You can't say mate there without making guys uncomfortable? That sucks!

Oh, lol, so you don't say dude either. That makes two of us. (Can totally imagine Talon 'dude-ing' everyone!):P

I only need one more post and I'll have hit the 10 benchmark! I offered to be your American beta-reader just to be friendly; I don't think I'm actually qualified to be a beta-reader. (I didn't even know it was an actual term until I just signed up for eFiction just now... I thought you made it up!) It's not that I don't want to, but I don't actually know what it means. whistle.gif

Hmm, the PM still isn't going through. After speaking to some guys in the chat, you may have a different problem altogether. Head over to the Administration Communication area and tell them that other members can't send PM's to you. Tell them that this message comes up:

The following errors were found

The member kayden can not use the messaging system

This personal message has not been sent

Hehehe, well it's completely up to you. Basically all you'd have to do is look over Jamie's dialogue and make sure that it's something that an American would say. So if there was something more 'English' in there, just to point it out/correct it.

And of course eFiction existed! I'm not that crazy!

Not trying to plug my own work on your thread, but I just finished writing the intro for my first story. smile.gif I'll let you know when I post it.

Anyway, this is all getting a little off-topic. But your story was the inspiration for my story I'm working on now, so just know that despite the fact that I'm disappointed in the lack of completion-ness (woops) of your "American Differences", I hold it in high regards. smile.gif

Hey, I don't mind, I did ask after all! I hope you find a big audience for your work! B)

Aww, thanks again! Hehe, I'll try to make sure it's completed in a very complete way! :D

Cheers! (Another term Americans would rarely say but I enjoy...)

lol, I don't use it myself that much either, but go ahead! :D

What's this about a cliffhanger!?!?!?!?

This sounds like a job for the

av-716.jpg

Cliffhangers are EVIL! Keep off that cliff!

:P

Y...y...yes Sir! Of course, Sir!

(But they're so tempting...):P

Really? You can't say mate there without making guys uncomfortable? That sucks!

If I faked a British or Aussie accent I could probably pull it off, but as hard as I've been working on it I can't get the accent down. My Aussie is alright because I spent a summer in Australia, (and I like Aussie accents as much as British!), but it's not perfect and I don't know what I'd tell people when they asked me, "Oh, are you from Australia?!" Awkward! :*)

Hmm, the PM still isn't going through. After speaking to some guys in the chat, you may have a different problem altogether. Head over to the Administration Communication area and tell them that other members can't send PM's to you. Tell them that this message comes up:

Oh, woops! I forgot that I turned PMing off because I didn't want guys randomly trying to be friends with me out of the blue, which tends to happen wherever I go on the web, (I'm so popular...) I'll turn it back on, though. I can always ignore my hordes of stalkers. :D

Hehehe, well it's completely up to you. Basically all you'd have to do is look over Jamie's dialogue and make sure that it's something that an American would say. So if there was something more 'English' in there, just to point it out/correct it.

That sounds simple enough. If you want me to do it I'm more than happy to! You probably don't need me much, though. The only instances I can remember from previous chapters were when Jamie was asked how he was doing, and he would respond, "Yeah, I'm alright" or something like that. Placing the word "Yeah" before a response like that is normally a British habit, and I've never personally heard an American say it. Other than that, you don't seem to need much help unless I've forgotten something. Plus, if Jamie's living in England he'd no doubt pick up a few English habits, so as time goes by it may not matter much anywho. But I'm happy to help as much as I can!

Edited by kayden

If I faked a British or Aussie accent I could probably pull it off, but as hard as I've been working on it I can't get the accent down. My Aussie is alright because I spent a summer in Australia, (and I like Aussie accents as much as British!), but it's not perfect and I don't know what I'd tell people when they asked me, "Oh, are you from Australia?!" Awkward! :*)

Loool, you totally should put on the accent, just for a laugh.:lol: And when they ask you, put on the British accent and say that you're from Britain instead! Just to really confuse them!

Oh, woops! I forgot that I turned PMing off because I didn't want guys randomly trying to be friends with me out of the blue, which tends to happen wherever I go on the web, (I'm so popular...) I'll turn it back on, though. I can always ignore my hordes of stalkers. biggrin.gif

Hehe, I wouldn't worry about that much here. You don't get many of those random types about. :P (Notice how I said 'many', not 'none':D)

That sounds simple enough. If you want me to do it I'm more than happy to! You probably don't need me much, though. The only instances I can remember from previous chapters were when Jamie was asked how he was doing, and he would respond, "Yeah, I'm alright" or something like that. Placing the word "Yeah" before a response like that is normally a British habit, and I've never personally heard an American say it. Other than that, you don't seem to need much help unless I've forgotten something. Plus, if Jamie's living in England he'd no doubt pick up a few English habits, so as time goes by it may not matter much anywho. But I'm happy to help as much as I can!

Yep, and the PM's in the mail.

Really? You guys don't stick a 'yeah' on the front? Hmm, wouldn't have expected that one. But that's why you're needed! :lol:

B).........Another great chapter!! You knew the outting was coming soon!! :lol: How bad is Li? Will she spread the news or keep it a secret? My money is on the mouth!! 0:) Oh, well the calm before the storm I suppose! Edited by Benji

B).........Another great chapter!! You knew the outting was coming soon!! :lol: How bad is Li? Will she spread the news or keep it a secret? My money is on the mouth!! 0:) Oh, well the calm before the storm I suppose!

Thanks, Benji! Glad you're still liking the story! :2thumbs:

Hmm, Li the loud mouth? An interesting thought there, especially if she speaks to the wrong people! (Shudders at the thought of Hayley making an appearance!)

I have my fingers crossed against the prospect of them being outed! ;)