Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes Chapter 38: Fallen

Due to the fact I was late with the chapter, I thought I'd better start the thread. (Edit: Drewbie beat me. :) )

I do have a special request for this specific chapter thread; could the first three or four posts use spooler spoiler spaces (from the menu to the left when replying) or, if you don't know how, shoot me a PM telling me to add 'em for you. This would be for any specifics of major events within the chapter.

Chapter 38, Fallen

Edited by C James
Edited to correct one of my many typos. :-)

Warning spoiler

It's getting pretty bad now, im hoping that someone will kick the scar's and yuri's ass, Eric or Brandon or esp helen want some payback.. RIP Linda and Jim

A

very bloody chapter

, Cliff. And there is a likelihood that more will follow. I don't guess there will be a sequel if

everyone is dead

I sure no one will consider this chapter to be free of cliffhangers. Indeed,

the cliff itself may have trouble hanging on.

----------This is a superfluous spooler.----------

Heck, yeah, why not antagonizing your readers and having them gulp and feel like crap after reading the chapter? Pitchforks are a bit tame...

As are bullets in the head. They do not cause enough pain. Yuri and pals grabbing the three people and lengthily torturing them with a rusty fork could have been more in the Goat's manner. He settled for a quick kill. Let him be praised.

(Darn, it seems this time he's up to kill the whole party... Or the island crumbles into the ocean, burying its dark nuclear secret under hundreds of feet of water...)

OK all hell breaks loose?

Soon the east coast and Europe will be under water.

Places to escape to would be by AIR; Our heroes need to steal a JATO from SCAR and find a place in Europe or Africa or South America or inland USA - and - a place to fill up after they learn of the third nuke being in Scars hands.

Now I also wonder if California will have that disastrous earthquake just so CJ :wacko: can keep our heroes running to find a safe place to settle from Scar.

Somewhere maybe there be hope to a poetic end of Scar. :angry:

Do you think CJ will make a third book? A trilogy?

or a seven book like HP?

But its scary to learn in the coming chapters of who lives and dies ... :(

RIP - Jim and Laura -

Brandon will be very hurt of this news.

B) ............Great chapter!! :(

Sorry to see Jim, Linda and Pvt. Johnson were the 'Fallen' in this chapter! Pvt. Johnson f**ked up, and it still cost him his life. Surely the mercenaries back at the hotel have heard the gunfire by now, being only a little over a half-mile away. But Felicia is long gone with the only satellite phone available for communication. Everything is going to hell, why do I get the feeling that Eric and a bottle of Tequila are going to save the day??

A very tense chapter!! Cliffhanger coming, or falling!! :blink:

• Site Moderator

Of the three shot and killed, Pvt. Johnson was the one to go the quickest. At least he died a free man and not at the hands of the Iranians.

When it comes to Eric and a bottle of Tequila it will be interesting to see what happens. The last time he had some, he didn't act in the manner we've come accustomed to. That may be due in part to the fact that he was with Keith and Jansen at the time.

Of the three shot and killed, Pvt. Johnson was the one to go the quickest. At least he died a free man and not at the hands of the Iranians.

When it comes to Eric and a bottle of Tequila it will be interesting to see what happens. The last time he had some, he didn't act in the manner we've come accustomed to. That may be due in part to the fact that he was with Keith and Jansen at the time.

B) ..........Linda had a head shot, she was killed instantly also!

• Site Administrator

Well I guess I should thank you for posting that chapter CJ :worship:

I am a little disappointed that you decided to kill off 3 of the good guys all in one chapter :angry: . I think I am feeling the same rage from you killing off Jim and Linda as I did when you killed Gunter. Private Johnson must have felt one hell of a dilemma lying in the back of the truck. I mean, he was willing to shoot the RPG at the centre of the nuke to ensure nobody got it, but he didn

• Site Moderator
B) ..........Linda had a head shot, she was killed instantly also!

You're right. I was thinking she also had been wounded first before receiving the head shot.

We do know that people in CJ's stories that get shot, don't always die. Helen survived a gun shot while Jerry survived an explosion. But still, the death toll climbs.

A

very bloody chapter

, Cliff. And there is a likelihood that more will follow. I don't guess there will be a sequel if

everyone is dead

I sure no one will consider this chapter to be free of cliffhangers. Indeed,

the cliff itself may have trouble hanging on.

----------This is a superfluous spooler.----------

Well, umm, I've been hiding. :ph34r:

Jim was one of my favorite characters. He's been in LTMP and Changing Lanes from the start; he's the guy who gave Brandon a place to stay when Brandon's parents kicked him out. I'll miss him.

Unfortunately, nobody knows that The Scar and his henchmen are on the island, so they weren't expecting this sort of ambush.

The sentiments above reflect mine after I had read chapter 38.... This is a hard-hitting chapter.

Thanks, Graeme. I'll be honest, the ambush wasn't easy to write.

On a lighter note, I'll mention that in the chapter draft, the scene where Helen is putting the people in the vehicles read just a little different. Helen put Brian in both vehicles. At the same time. Graeme noticed the goof and pointed this out during beta. So, thanks to Graeme, we don't have Brian in two places at once. :)

Heck, yeah, why not antagonizing your readers and having them gulp and feel like crap after reading the chapter? Pitchforks are a bit tame...

As are bullets in the head. They do not cause enough pain. Yuri and pals grabbing the three people and lengthily torturing them with a rusty fork could have been more in the Goat's manner. He settled for a quick kill. Let him be praised.

(Darn, it seems this time he's up to kill the whole party... Or the island crumbles into the ocean, burying its dark nuclear secret under hundreds of feet of water...)

Now, now, Bondwriter... In stories, as in life, sometimes bad things happen to good people. When Yuri found out about he nuke, he sent his force in. As is so often the case, it's the small things that lead to major problems; had the pickup truck the nuke had been on been just a little more sturdy, they wouldn't have had to transfer it to the truck, which is when the observers spotted it.

I'd have to say that Yuri is to blame for this one, even though he wasn't actually there.

OK all hell breaks loose?

Soon the east coast and Europe will be under water.

Places to escape to would be by AIR; Our heroes need to steal a JATO from SCAR and find a place in Europe or Africa or South America or inland USA - and - a place to fill up after they learn of the third nuke being in Scars hands.

Now I also wonder if California will have that disastrous earthquake just so CJ :wacko: can keep our heroes running to find a safe place to settle from Scar.

Somewhere maybe there be hope to a poetic end of Scar. :angry:

Do you think CJ will make a third book? A trilogy?

or a seven book like HP?

But its scary to learn in the coming chapters of who lives and dies ... :(

RIP - Jim and Laura -

Brandon will be very hurt of this news.

Great point on Brandon and Jim; Brandon and Jim go way back, to Brandon's Phoenix days. Eric and Jim were close too, though that's mainly occurred in Changing Lanes.

The California earthquake alert, after the smaller quake, was a bit of a premature alarm. As in real life, there's still a danger of a massive quake, it's just not as imminent as the geologist first thought. I've been through quakes when I lived in SoCal, and it was a similar occurance (a geologist making a dire, imminent prediction after a quake) that inspired that part. :)

There are no plans at all for a sequel to Changing Lanes or LTMP. :)

B) ............Great chapter!! :(

Sorry to see Jim, Linda and Pvt. Johnson were the 'Fallen' in this chapter! Pvt. Johnson f**ked up, and it still cost him his life. Surely the mercenaries back at the hotel have heard the gunfire by now, being only a little over a half-mile away. But Felicia is long gone with the only satellite phone available for communication. Everything is going to hell, why do I get the feeling that Eric and a bottle of Tequila are going to save the day??

A very tense chapter!! Cliffhanger coming, or falling!! :blink:

Only one person heard the gunfire; the man in a nearby house. The terrian is hilly, with stone walls, etc, plus you've got the sound-deadening effect of the ash (it's much like snow in that sense). The mercs wouldn't hear the gunfire from indoors.

All I can say is, there's a reason that Eric wasn't so bad the last time. If course (looks around nervously for the Echidna) I should qualify that by saying that the reason might be that not every time Eric is on tequila is he bad, just mostly. :)

Well I guess I should thank you for posting that chapter CJ :worship:

I am a little disappointed that you decided to kill off 3 of the good guys all in one chapter :angry: . I think I am feeling the same rage from you killing off Jim and Linda as I did when you killed Gunter. Private Johnson must have felt one hell of a dilemma lying in the back of the truck. I mean, he was willing to shoot the RPG at the centre of the nuke to ensure nobody got it, but he didn

This chapter got some strong reactions out of me, so the writing was amazing as usual. Even though I kinda wish

everyone would survive. :( Well. Except for the bad guys.

Thanks! :)

It wasn't an easy chapter to write; Jim was one of my favorite characters. I'll miss him.

First.... Great Chapter CJ :worship:

It really sucks what happened to Jim, Linda and Pvt. Johnson. Brandon is going to be crushed....

It looks like a whole can of worms was just opened and all hell is going to break lose.

Edward

cripes. everyone's dying really quicklike. Hrm, hopefully our heroes have a small measure of a chance.

Don't forget everyone, vote in the polls, It's still open. Perhaps enough votes can persuade our villains to spare our few remaining heroes

Regards,

Jon

mmm I think the strippers and eric can't afford to get any serious injuries or die - that - would end the Strip Club right there.

I still doubt the island be a final battle scene - it gotta be somewhere else ...

QUOTE (Linxe Termoil @ May 17 2009, 12:41 PM) post_snapback.gifI'm personally hoping for the TLC match on top of the volcano...If i get time i'll even write a short story about it :)

Muahahah.

:ph34r:

:off:

Okay, most of you probably know I'd come across an idea in my poll, when I said the above. Well...it's happened, you can see the first part here. I'll have the 2nd (possibly the final) part up in a few days. Just remember, please, no rants or bashing :) I did it out of fun.

Regards,

Jon

:lol:

That's a good observation!

This was a very exciting chapter. I didn't expect it to go the way it did. I was thinking that Pvt. Johnson was going to shoot the nuke and take out half of the Scar's men with him.

I wonder if Linda had been able to stick around long enough to shift for Jim if he'd have been able to outrun the ambush? One thing's for certain, it's very difficult to shift gears from the passenger's seat. I've tried it on several occasions to poor results. Of course that may have been in part due to inexperienced people simultaneously operating the clutch. Presumably Jim would have done a better job.

I can't wait to read the next one!

-Kevin

I shifted for a friend once, didn't messed up at all.

btw brian should get a happy ending :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..