A New Game We Were Thinking Of...

Someone on the Shack was thinking of starting a new game on the Shack, and it was definitely something I wanted to let everybody know about. Especially the writers on the 'Cafe', because this most certainly applies to you. It's "Comicality Idol"

Basically, it's like "American Idol"...but for writing. Hehehe, hard to figure that out, right?

It's an idea we're plaing around with at the moment. But if all goes to plan, we'll start the second week of March. The idea is, we'll get a bunch of writers together, and for 6 - 8 weeks, we'll give the writers a topic to write a short story about. For example...one week, we might ask for a 'sci fi' short story. The next week, we might ask for a 'sex scene'. Etc. Editors are more than welcome for anyone that wants to use one for their finished product. But all entries have to be in by Satuday night, and new 'assignments' will be given out the following Sunday morning.

Judges will give their opinions, and people will be asked to vote on their favorite stories. Eliminations will keep going until we have one big winner.

What do you guys think? Can we pull something like this off? Nothing is set in stone yet, so we're still accepting ideas if you've got any. But we've got people on board ready to give it a shot. Who knows? We might end up holding one every 6 months if it goes over well.

I'll think of a prize or something to give out. Hehehe! We'll make it worthwhile. Because I can't really give out publishing contracts, now can I? :P

Anyway, all suggestions and thoughts welcome....

Yeah, it would have to be for every category. The whole idea would definitely be based on versatility with the writing. But the concepts would be within the gay author arena. (Sorta like the Anthology topics)

I'm so happy to see you guys interested! I'm writing out my plans now. I think it'll be aesome! :D

You know, as much as I wish I could take credit for this stroke of genius, it's really not my idea at all. This came from someone else at the Shack. So he deserves 100% of the praise for it. :: Bows ::

Now I'll admit that I haven't watched "American Idol" in some time. but I sort of remember how things go. So I was kinda thinking that we'd have everybody that wants to join in simply put in an 'audition' entry on a certain topic once we announce it. And have everyone vote on their favorites. The top 10-12 highest rated authors will be a part of the competition. And we'll take it from there.

But like I said, this is all a brand new experiment for us. So if you guys have any ideas about how it should be run, or anything else, let me know.

We've got our 'Simon' already! Hehehe! 'Cloud' has offered to be a judge. And if anybody has raked me over the coals for just about everything I've ever written...it's him! I reccomended him personally. Which I guess makes me 'Randy' (I'd make an awful 'Paula'. These legs in a dress? Terrifying!) But we DO need another judge. So any suggestions are welcome there as well. Cool?

I'm getting excited already! :)

Sounds good Comsie :) - Why not ask another hosted GA author to help judge?

I did have one other thought though (don't worry, I actually have had more than one...) would it be better for people to post their 'entries' anonymously or under a pseudonym? Otherwise people will be tempted to vote for their favourite shacker rather than the best writing.

Mind you - it wouldn't be American idol if a pretty face didn't win :)

Let's see... if it's like American Idol, it's rigged and the gay guy with real talent gets screwed over by some hick from Arkansas in the end.

As much as this reminds me of Las Vegas and the Bill Clinton years, you might want to rethink it.

Let's see... if it's like American Idol, it's rigged and the gay guy with real talent gets screwed over by some hick from Arkansas in the end.

As much as this reminds me of Las Vegas and the Bill Clinton years, you might want to rethink it.

You forget the, er, fairytale ending, where the gay guy makes out with another guy on stage, creates a sensation, and the hick from Arkansas promptly fades into obscurity.

Someone on the Shack was thinking of starting a new game on the Shack, and it was definitely something I wanted to let everybody know about. Especially the writers on the 'Cafe', because this most certainly applies to you. It's "Comicality Idol"

Basically, it's like "American Idol"...but for writing. Hehehe, hard to figure that out, right?

It's an idea we're plaing around with at the moment. But if all goes to plan, we'll start the second week of March. The idea is, we'll get a bunch of writers together, and for 6 - 8 weeks, we'll give the writers a topic to write a short story about. For example...one week, we might ask for a 'sci fi' short story. The next week, we might ask for a 'sex scene'. Etc. Editors are more than welcome for anyone that wants to use one for their finished product. But all entries have to be in by Satuday night, and new 'assignments' will be given out the following Sunday morning.

Judges will give their opinions, and people will be asked to vote on their favorite stories. Eliminations will keep going until we have one big winner.

What do you guys think? Can we pull something like this off? Nothing is set in stone yet, so we're still accepting ideas if you've got any. But we've got people on board ready to give it a shot. Who knows? We might end up holding one every 6 months if it goes over well.

I'll think of a prize or something to give out. Hehehe! We'll make it worthwhile. Because I can't really give out publishing contracts, now can I? tongue.gif

Anyway, all suggestions and thoughts welcome....

alright PAula is Gone...it's Kira, and soon to be ELLEN on this season.....so there is no nice judge. :P I would like to do something but i duno what to do...read and vote :D :D

You forget the, er, fairytale ending, where the gay guy makes out with another guy on stage, creates a sensation, and the hick from Arkansas promptly fades into obscurity.

That was Shocking!! haha :P

alright PAula is Gone...it's Kira, and soon to be ELLEN on this season.....so there is no nice judge. :P I would like to do something but i duno what to do...read and vote :D :D

Hey, that's right! I could be Ellen. I'm part lesbian. biggrin.gif

Hehehe, that's right! It is Ellen now, isn't it? Well, Mark, I'd be honored to have you as a judge if you're up for it! :) But no miniskits and pumps, please!

LOL@ Jamessavik!!! Well, hopefully we can run this crap game a little bit 'straighter' than they did!

And Kiwi brings up a good point. Should our authors enter with some sort of 'stage name' when they write? You never know, there might be certain biased fanbases out there. You never know when things might go crooked. Then again, how would that be different from any other voting event? ('Glares At Florida') An interesting question. Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Also...I was thinking, for each short story topic...we'd give a period of two weeks. Eight topics, two weeks for each. Do you guys think that's a fair amount of time? I mean we're talking...coming up with an idea, writing it out, and then editing (either by themselves, or with help from their editor). Is two weeks enough? I know you guys have work and school and all. Let me know.

Yeah two weeks sounds plenty but it might be fair to give a few topics in advance so that people have time to come up with ideas.

Stagenames / Pseudonyms - It's a question of whether you think we can trust people to judge on skill opposed to popularity. (@James: I know for a fact that in NZ idol, the superhot guy who was the lesser singer lost and the nothot pretty ugly guy who was an amazing singer, won. So it depends on where the competition is held I guess.)

P.S. This needs to be mentioned (if it hasn't been mentioned already) on the library + shack forums for feedback from EVERYONE not just people who regular on the GA forum.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..