Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Two Years of CAP!

According to Mark, this is the second anniversary of when he started posting the CAP saga to GA! Let's all congratulate him on two years of giving us one addictive soap opera!

Kinda funny though- in real-time we've gone from 2008 to 2010. In CAP-time it's gone from 1962 to 1999. Sheesh. LOL.

Its kinda worrying that we only have 10 years of the saga left... I mean - it doesnt lend itself to writing into the future becuase of the emphasis on real world events... so the story has to end at some point. Theoretically though, this could mean 10 more stories, plus a couple of stand alone spin offs to fill gaps where characters disappeared from the main plot - but in general we can see a conclusion on the horizon.

This is disturbing for me, becuases CAP for so long was my outlet and my anchor. I dont wanna blow smoke up mark's ass, but his story really helped me to define the ort of "gay" I am. It helped me gain the confidence to Join GA, and gradually change my life.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is.... we need more HMS belvedera to wean us off our CAP Addictions :P

West

All good things have to come to an end at some point...I figure Mark won't get to a conclusion for at least a year. I don't think having a story set for each year is the greatest idea if its only for the purpose of extending the saga, though.

Its kinda worrying that we only have 10 years of the saga left... I mean - it doesnt lend itself to writing into the future becuase of the emphasis on real world events... so the story has to end at some point. Theoretically though, this could mean 10 more stories, plus a couple of stand alone spin offs to fill gaps where characters disappeared from the main plot - but in general we can see a conclusion on the horizon.

This is disturbing for me, becuases CAP for so long was my outlet and my anchor. I dont wanna blow smoke up mark's ass, but his story really helped me to define the ort of "gay" I am. It helped me gain the confidence to Join GA, and gradually change my life.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is.... we need more HMS belvedera to wean us off our CAP Addictions :P

West

Thanks West. I think that's the most flattering thing an author can hear: that his/her stories had a positive impact.

All good things have to come to an end at some point...I figure Mark won't get to a conclusion for at least a year. I don't think having a story set for each year is the greatest idea if its only for the purpose of extending the saga, though.

We'll have to see how things work out.

Congrats Mark on the milestone! I have to say that I held off on starting to read any of the CAP series for a long time but started in on Bloodlines. Boy, as for getting things done, that was a mistake as I was hooked and read the entire CAP series from start to finish in about a month. I particularly enjoy the numerous Hayes characters.

Thanks for the great reading and I'm looking forward to years more. :2thumbs:

Steve

• Like 1

Congrats Mark on the milestone! I have to say that I held off on starting to read any of the CAP series for a long time but started in on Bloodlines. Boy, as for getting things done, that was a mistake as I was hooked and read the entire CAP series from start to finish in about a month. I particularly enjoy the numerous Hayes characters.

Thanks for the great reading and I'm looking forward to years more. :2thumbs:

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I was wondering when did you start writing CAP? It seems that it has been around forever. I am so glad you did. You've enriched the lives of so many people. Many more than you will ever know.

Just wanted to add my congrats! I saw the CAP series referenced in a blog I used to follow and decided to hunt it down about a year ago. I have to say that was a fortuitous bit of google searching. I am a sucker for strong characters that I can follow from story to story. My favorite mainstream writers are authors that can carry a group of characters beyond a single title/book. Happy Anniversary Mark!

I was wondering when did you start writing CAP? It seems that it has been around forever. I am so glad you did. You've enriched the lives of so many people. Many more than you will ever know.

I think it was August of 2008. Maybe July. In those nascent days, my strongest driver/supporter was Sharon.Posted Image

I liked the way you managed to sneek that in. :2thumbs::lol:

You'll be even happier to know I've actually started working on it again.Posted Image

Just wanted to add my congrats! I saw the CAP series referenced in a blog I used to follow and decided to hunt it down about a year ago. I have to say that was a fortuitous bit of google searching. I am a sucker for strong characters that I can follow from story to story. My favorite mainstream writers are authors that can carry a group of characters beyond a single title/book. Happy Anniversary Mark!

Well thank you. I'm glad you found us!

• 11 months later...

We'll have to see how things work out.

You decided to cram two stories within the year 2000, that's how it worked out. LOL. (That's for another thread, though.)

As for a conclusion on the horizon, I do think the 2000's are going to provide a helluva of a lot of fodder for CAP. I can see Mark going for at least another four stories before a conclusion is reached. (9/11, Iraq, The '06 Olympics, and the general craziness of 2008 seem like a given.)

In any event, we're now on three years of CAP! Mark officially started posting the story this week over at his Yahoo group.

Three years. Man. I was but a wee lad of 22 when I got involved with your writing team. It's been a blast all the way through.

Edited by methodwriter85

So a few years ago, an old e-buddy pops up in my inbox after not hearing anything from him for over a year. Says he's written a story, remembers I edit, wants to know if I'll read his stuff and give him my opinion. I, of course, immediately email Vic and say 'Guess who popped up in my email. Arbour. Could have knocked me over with a feather'.

Needless to say, I agreed to read his stuff. Over three million words later and I still haven't decided if answering that email was a good thing. :blink:

Needless to say, I agreed to read his stuff. Over three million words later and I still haven't decided if answering that email was a good thing. :blink:

Remember when CAP was going to be a stand-alone story? Here we are, three years and ten sequels later. LOL.

Of course, it helps that Mark had 38 years and hundreds of characters to work with. I'm not sure Stefan and JP as characters by themselves could have warranted 10 sequels. It does keep things fresh having new characters and new situations and generations to work on.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..