Gay Parents Bashed

So I was going to post this in the soapbox, but then thought it's not really controversial... since most of us would whoop and hollar in appreciation... and I thought more viewers would see this here in the lounge instead and I felt this is something to be shared. Now when we (us Americans that is, for the most part) think of the South, most people tend to think gay-UNfriendly... but I grew up in the South and love the South. I love southern hospitality and love it in it's true form. Well here's a clip of a "waitress" bashing on gay parents with kids and the responses... some of the info may shock you... and sadly a more "liberal" state failed more than Texas...

To be honest, I got teary eyed. The world isn't THAT bad of a place after all.

• Like 5

Thanks for posting this. Mike and I are about to become parent's in September and hopefully we'll never encounter someone like the actress/waitress, but if we do, it's nice to see people's attitudes are supportive.

I think your comment about the south has a bad rap is accurate to a point - I think you will find a LOT of people just like those in the Diner that stood up for the parents. The bad rap comes from the legislation that is passed and comments of the politicians. My guess is, and I have no proof to support this so it is just my opinion, that in places like MD, Mass, NY, DC. which are considered liberal, it is considered bad form and perhaps even political suicide to bash anyone, including gays. Perception might be the biggest detriment. That said I think these things are changing everywhere. I wonder how many Texas politicians watched that thinking, if almost half the Diner voiced an objection - there had to be another 25% or so that agreed with the objections but failed to speak up.

Oh one last comment, Mr. High Five - what a coward. It's fine to give her a thumbs up and a high five in anonymity but when confronted with his 'beliefs' and his bigotry, he suddenly doesn't have the courage to stand up for what he 'believes'. Typical.

Thanks again, Mike and I watched it with smiles.

• Like 1

That was incredibly nice to see, if only more "Christians" were like the guy from the 2nd sketch who passed the note to the couple.

I'm not entirely surprised about the reaction from a place like NY. The state as a whole might be more liberal, but the "it's not my business" state of mind is fairly rife.

Farmer's Branch is a suburb of Dallas and not far from where I grew up in Richardson. It is so encouraging to see how times have changed. You wouldn't have seen those responses 20-30 years ago.

I thought that was a really good clip to watch, and I've also found some of the other ones they have done that are on Youtube too. I think it's good we can see these people in everyday life that will stand up for gay couples, teens, parents etc.

This reminds me somewhat of an experiment that a programme in the UK did called the Tonight programme and a gay couple walked down the high street of a northern city, Hull I believe, and al they got was homophobic slurs.

Good on those people in the diner for being so open minded (except that guy who gave the waitress a thumbs up <_< )

(oh and I also agree with Lacey, that guy was nice ;) )

I love the show that this clip comes from. “What would you do?” We watch it all the time as a family.

We have never been asked to leave a place, but we have heard sarcastic snickers and those rude remarks spoken just loud enough to be “accidentally” overheard. I don’t think anyone would actually ask us to leave because Robert is very intimating, not just in his size, but shaved head, tattoos and built like a linebacker, I don’t think someone would ever dare to do it.

As unfortunate as it is, this is a discussion we have had to have as a family. What would we do if this happened to us? Not just this topic, but the many controversial subjects facing society today.

Our daughter is our number one priority. We try to protect her from everything, but realistically we can’t. She has faced intolerance because of us and it kills me. She is not just our responsibility until she is 18 but for a lifetime. As a society, what we teach our children at home will go out into the world with them.

• Like 2

Nice video! I'm happily surprised at the customers being so vocal. Special wow to the guy who wrote the note.

I wonder what the reaction would be if the kids weren't there to complete the family picture, though. I am not surprised, however, that Southern hospitality beats New York anonymity. The sense of community in a town is much greater than in a city.

Was this an experiment of some sorts? I think it's a pretty cool experiment though, to gauge people's reactions this way.

Oh, just watched it again. Yeah, they were all actors and actresses.

Hmmm... It's nice to see something that renews one's faith. I'm from Mississippi, and I'm not sure how most people would react in that situation, but to see such a state as Texas have that kind of reaction is nice.

However... (please don't hate me for pointing this out), I can't help but notice how many people DIDN'T say or do anything. Yes, it's nice that people are standing up for what is right (no one should be publicly humiliated like that), and I look forward to the day when the MAJORITY stands up for what is right.

Until then... Here's to those brave souls that stand up for goodness, fairness, and justice. :D *raises wine glass*

• Like 1