Gay Orbitz Commercial

Dark

I don't think it's remotely funny. But, offensive? Not really. And thats partly because I can't understand why they used this characterisation to articulate the message. I think UK advertsers would have done this better, because we'd have properly done the Dame Edna thing. The issue here is that it's just a man in drag, and pretty piss poor drag at that. The sound quality is rubbish, and the video quality, too. Those things might not seem important, but when put together with a very poor execution, it just cheapens the vehicle. There was no humour here so that the audience could buy in. It's offensively poor, but not generically offensive.

We need to remember that stereotypes exist because the fact of them exists. There are a hugely greater proportion of drag acts on the gay scene, so who's creating and feeding the stereotype? US, collectively, unfortunately. We have demanded diversity from without, so we really need to accept diversity from within, too. And that means not finding stuff 'offensive' simply because it doesn't fit with our personal image.

Still, I know where I'd like to shove those curlers, and there'd be no gladioli involved, either :o

• Like 3

We need to remember that stereotypes exist because the fact of them exists.

I agree. Stereotypes are like caricatures; they are an exaggeration of the distinguishing features done for comic effect.

And Oribitz is not alone in using a gay stereotype in advertising. This may be more offensive:

Edited by MikeL

Yep, Mike wins. Ugh, what are people thinking? Posted Image

I guess what I find offensive is not the fact that the person in the commercial is in drag, but the idea that this is what people think they need to do to connect with a gay audience... Are you kidding me?

• Like 1

Agree with NoNoNever. Not remotely funny, just a very poorly executed poor quality advert.

And yes, the stereotypes exist for a reason - and in this case they are clearly exaggerated stereotypes that are trying to be funny and not to be taken seriously. I don't think anyone should find it offensive. Unless you're being offended by how poor the advert is in general :P

I agree. Stereotypes are like caricatures; they are an exaggeration of the distinguishing features done for comic effect.

And Oribitz is not alone in using a gay stereotype in advertising. This may be more offensive:

Uuhh, the second actually did make me laugh Posted Image Again, stereotype - but clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Gay or camp men like that DO exist. I think it's appropriateness depends on the society where it is being shown - whether people can tell it's a stereotype, and realise the actual diversity of the LGBTQ community.

I guess what I find offensive is not the fact that the person in the commercial is in drag, but the idea that this is what people think they need to do to connect with a gay audience... Are you kidding me?

Also, if there's a fascination with drag in the gay scene, which there certainly seems to be on the part of some people, how can you be surprised when advertisers assume they can use this to connect with the gay community...? Posted Image

Edited by Traveller_23

See, I always thought that commerical was hilarous. Because who hasn't experienced looking at a guy, thinking he's a total hot boy, and then he talks and peals drop out?

For young folks. I read something (I rarely remember where..., my brain sucks) about drag queen culture. Drag queen is an act, and they rarely try to mimic real woman. It's a completely separate subculture, and not all drags are gay. So if you judge them how well they look compared with a real woman, they don't do too well. And they probably would just tell you why would they want to be a real woman (or they'd do a sex change). They're entertainers, who sometimes are entertaining themselves in the process. It sort of made sense after that, because before I was just like you guys.... Culture-facilitated gender expectation is deeply rooted, even among GLBT people.

• Like 1

Actually that one made me laugh.

That's the thing though, isn't it. They're failing to connect with a gay audience so they're losing business and that's their punishment.

All right. Check this out.

http://www.huffingto...html?ref=topbar

Hilarious

I've never been impressed with US advertising. As so many of you have already said these ads are offensive because they're cr*p. Advertising says so much about the company so if companies want to go down this route they'd better get it right. Here's an example of how it can be done with style and wit:

Aren't most commercials usually tacky and stereotypical to an extent? Doesn't the Vodka whatever commercial use the Drag Race super stars? Just about every cleaning commercial use woman as the cleaner? Even Mr. Clean. Laundry commercials, cooking commercials (besides pizza)... Those are a bit more offensive if we're gonna do that. Our community is dominated by drag queens, muscle bodies and humor. Looking at tv or even going out to a gay bar/club, you'll see just about the same thing in this commercial.