[Jwolf] The English Year

While we wait, here's a period-correct (the story is set during the 2008-2009 school year) tune that basically describes how I feel about Pete and Corb's relationship:

I remember when "I Kissed A Girl" came out that year, I thought Katy Perry SCREAMED one hit wonder, like Carly Rae Jepsen did in 2012. Imagine my surprise when she came up with another big hit that fall. I'm shocked she's basically become one of the most consistent and biggest pop stars of the 2010's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks! The next chapter is up. I hope you enjoy. I wanted to apologize for the tardiness of this chapter. I know following an in-progress story can be challenging, and hopefully I can get back to a regular writing schedule so that I can serve you all better. Again, thanks for your support! I look forward to reading everyone's feedback. Find the chapter here.

• Like 3

Jwolf, I really don't know if I'm going to survive the wait for the next chapter, I'm so worried about what will happen to Mike*.

*It is of course, not good to break people's noses in defense of your relationship. However. 

• Like 1

It is really, really hard to still like Corbin after what he did to Lee. What a toolbag.

I disagree, Lee is the one a fault here, and I think Corbin has assessed his character correctly.

But I'll admit threathening to out Lee to his dad is pretty cruel. Even so, Lee is free to call Corbin's bluff by telling his dad that this gay guy is trying to blackmail him by claiming they had sex. He might even be able to say he had Corbin give him a blow job in order to prove himself 'gay tolerant' to his house mates.

And if Corbin's frat brothers had trusted him and had his back about Lee, the way they ought to, Corb wouldn't have to resort to desperate measures. But they chose to back Lee - to the extent of telling him stuff which he could use to try to manipulate and pressure Corbin. Tough luck for Lee that Corbin outdid him. :evil:

It is really, really hard to still like Corbin after what he did to Lee. What a toolbag.

I have to agree. I did not gasp, but I blinked a couple times.  Tim the biggest threat to Corbin's honor is Corbin himself.

Edit: and desperate measures to achieve what? Ideal frat house membership? Oh please.

Edited by Irritable1

I disagree, Lee is the one a fault here, and I think Corbin has assessed his character correctly.

But I'll admit threathening to out Lee to his dad is pretty cruel. Even so, Lee is free to call Corbin's bluff by telling his dad that this gay guy is trying to blackmail him by claiming they had sex. He might even be able to say he had Corbin give him a blow job in order to prove himself 'gay tolerant' to his house mates.

And if Corbin's frat brothers had trusted him and had his back about Lee, the way they ought to, Corb wouldn't have to resort to desperate measures. But they chose to back Lee - to the extent of telling him stuff which he could use to try to manipulate and pressure Corbin. Tough luck for Lee that Corbin outdid him. :evil:

Considering that they've virtually sold Corbin out by backing Lee as much as they have, it makes me question whether Corbin's "so-called" fraternity brothers have ever...really...been loyal to him or ever really supported Corbin, or if they've always been pretending to do so while secretly wishing that they'd never ever even let him into the fraternity in the first place.

And Pete so deserved what he got at the end of that chapter. :P

• Like 1

Edit: and desperate measures to achieve what? Ideal frat house membership? Oh please.

Well the whole frat thing is a complete mystery to me, so anything connected to that seems odd or somewhat silly :)

But since I agree with Corbin that Lee is a manipulative and scheming bastard, I'm happy every time Corb spikes Lee's guns. And even more if doing so pisses of the guys who should have sided with Corb. As I recall it was only a couple of chapters ago that Corb had a total breakdown which made them realize how they hadn't been there for him. And now they are doing it again.

No matter how stupidly Corbin behaves (and I'm quite ready to admit he's prone to overreacting) the one thing which has been consistent through the whole story is his loyalty to his house and his determination to do what's best for them. In all of the power games he plays, he never loses his focus about that, even when he's trying to save his own ass. To me such priority of a 'higher goal' is a redeeming feature even if the whole matter of getting status for your house / frat seems utterly weird and a waste of time.

He'd been better of learning how to build a relationship out of friendship and love rather than sex.

To me such priority of a 'higher goal' is a redeeming feature even if the whole matter of getting status for your house / frat seems utterly weird and a waste of time.

I'm as clueless on the Greek politics as you are, so fair enough on that, but precisely because I don't understand them, I'm never quite sure whether Corbin is in fact working for his house or just deluding himself that he is.  And anyway, he's blackmailing a freshman that he'll out him to a parent... Whatever the acceptable means are for such a dubiously valuable end, I don't think this can be among them.

I was never in a frat, but I think I got a small taste of what happens when you put a bunch of young people together and give some of those people power over said group. I was in Resident Hall Council for two years, and the second year council had some major blow-ups because we couldn't stand our president. There was even a petition going around to impeach her, although we eventually all talked it out. Still, when you look back, you go, "Why was this even a big deal?" People can get so caught up in school group dynamics that they take it deadly seriously when they shouldn't.

It was utterly shitty of Corbin to do that to someone. Just because Corbin lucked out in having liberal Dallas parents who don't care that he likes the company of men doesn't mean that Lee would be that lucky for his dad to find out he's bisexual. And he's counting on Lee to be scared of what his parents might do to him.

I gotta admit, I really hope this backfires for Corbin.

On the other hand, loving the triangle. Pete is so clearly unwilling to admit to himself that he wants Corbin, but he's also unwilling to just avoid the guy. And Mike knows this but he's trying to delay the inevitable.

I think a great part of the interest of this novel is just how reflective it is of many of our early experiences; how jwolf has managed to write it so that it reflects the conflicts that so many of us feel at the cusp of adulthood.

[tipsy rambling deleted]

Edited by Irritable1

I've heard a few really interesting things in this conversation so far. I hope y'all won't mind if I chime in :)

I'd have to say that I'm interested in what Irritable had to say re: I'm never quite sure whether Corbin is in fact working for his house or just deluding himself that he is. (sorry, Not sure how to share quotes on here anymore.)

I think it's interesting that Corbin justifies everything with either self-preservation or house-preservation as his motive. I think he truly believes he's doing the right thing, as any hero or villian will tell you that they are. Walter White in Breaking Bad comes to mind (not saying that Corbin is going to go selling meth to save his house anytime soon) but the idea of a flawed hero is one that I've always been interested in, and I think for their actions to make sense, and to remain just under the brink of unjustifiable, they have to believe that their mission is noble.

With that said, I think apart from him being cruel to Lee, Corbin's biggest mistake in most of his interaction is that he's unyeilding. He thinks he's completely right all of the time, and takes very little advice from his brothers about what actually IS best for the house. I don't want to spoil anything here (And I'm not sure how to manage that spoiler window thing), but as he grows up within this world, expect him to learn that he can lean on others before it's too late and he's having a nervous breakdown.

Loving the conversation, and I'm glad we've got this forum up and going again. Back to writing now... :)

• Like 1

I'd have to say that I'm interested in what Irritable had to say re: I'm never quite sure whether Corbin is in fact working for his house or just deluding himself that he is. (sorry, Not sure how to share quotes on here anymore.)

Quote button at the bottom of posts. :)

(And I'm not sure how to manage that spoiler window thing)

[ spoiler ]Lose the spaces in the tags, and SPOILER[ /spoiler ]

(Strange that there isn't a button for that like there is with generic quoting...)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! Another supersized chapter is up and ready! I hope you enjoy. As always, your comments, reviews, and questions are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to leave a review, and then check back here and see where the conversation has headed. Enjoy!

I'm still firmly rooting for Mike

And Peter the Brit can take a hike

Dom the Betrayer needs to fall

may Corb's Revenge hit them all

I'm not saying Mike and Corbin are not at fault for what happened, but since they are going to pay the highest price, I have no pity for any of the other players. I hope Corbin's clever brain can come up with a bunch of schemes to make Dom and the frat take a nose dive. Only problem is how to do it and still have a place to stay and a position on campus afterwards.

Of course I'd prefer Corbs to stop drinking and fucking around and concentrate on his studies and ignore both the frat and Peter, while he waits for Mike - but since I know that won't happen, I'll take the other option. Or rather I'll take anything which does not involve him getting together with the Brit.

• Like 2

The agonizing tension! :o the moral ambiguity!  :o

I was completely won over by Corbin's self-defense to Pete--till I remembered what he'd done to Lee, who's just trying to create his own safe world, right? I am shattered by Pete's explanation of his own refusal to trust--till I recall that photo text message, not to mention that he deliberately teased Corbin at the party. And I'm totally with you, Tim, that I want to see Dominic destroyed till I recall that Corbin's already done his utmost to lose the fraternity its incoming freshmen, without anything like the excuse he has now. 

All in all, it's all unspeakably messily and terribly like life. Well done, jwolf, again!

Edit: And, yikes, Mike's essentially in solitary confinement (outside of classes, I take it) and Corbin's primary concern is whether they'll be able to have sex? Good grief.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

Edit: And, yikes, Mike's essentially in solitary confinement (outside of classes, I take it) and Corbin's primary concern is whether they'll be able to have sex? Good grief.

No he's saying their relationship won't survive without physical contact.

• Like 1

But somehow I think Mike would deal with that, but losing Corbin will devastate him. So if nothing else, Corbin should revenge Mike on Dom.

And the only rush candidate Corbin opposed was Lee, and he even reconsidered when he knew it would cost them three good prospects. But now that is just a bonus for his plans.

• Like 1

Ok. So then his utmost to lose the fraternity a third of the incoming class. I overstated   :*)

Incidentally I love that someone gave Corbin a relationship column. Hee hee. It's like SJP on Sex and the City but even more so. A relationship as a fist or a heap of bleeding, amputated fingers. I love it. I have the oddest feeling that simile's from The Art of War.

Great observation, Tim. Corbin didn't even read the message, and he has no need to now. I guess if Pete texts him again later in life, he'll know what it says, but it's inconsequential at this point. I'd imagine it was another jab to get under Corbin's skin.

“You want to go back to that first day?” Pete asked. I knew in his voice that it was a rhetorical question and that I was about to get laid out in that hallway. “You want to go back to that first day, before I knew that you were a manipulative, petty, selfish, and insecure individual? Why? So that you could show me each and every one of those traits again over the course of one semester?”

I had to quote that. Corbin deserved it after what he did to Lee.

The opening scenes made me flash back to when I was at my sister's boyfriend's New Year's Eve 2007 party at 21. Her boyfriend was like 38 but still attended U.D., and he threw college-aged people parties along with his more peer-like friends. There was a situation where a fight brewed, because this 20-year old guy saw this old dude (he was like 28 or something) hitting on this 19-year old girl that was a friend of his. "Justin" didn't want to see "Julie" get taken advantage of by some older guy, so he told Old Dude to stop hitting on her. Old Dude turned out to be Roid Rage, and flipped out and challenged Justin to fight. I was like, "Justin, dude, he's like 28. Don't bother with him." Justin was like, "I don't care that he's 28!" We tried to prevent it, but the fight broke out.

Afterwards, it was all dramatic as we argued over whether both guys should be ejected from the party for fighting. Justin was kicked out and left. But Roid was a much harder person to deal with, as he was a friend of my sister's boyfriend and tried to say that he should get to stay there because of that. Eventually enough people blasted him that he finally left.

It's like not start a fight is a cardinal rule, and if you break it, it's just major drama all around.