Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (99+47) White Hell

White Hell is up! (it may take a minute or so to appear).

Happy December 38th, 2012!

Sorry I've been so slow. I'm hoping we are now back to weekly posts, and I have some news; the story is now complete as a draft. Lots of work remains, but reaching this point means I can say for sure: 3 chapters and an epilogue remain.

To those awaiting e-mail, forum, and PM replies, I'm catching up. Sorry for the delay.

Finally, for this chapter, I strongly advise following the Google maps link at the top of the chapter and having a look. You can move it around, zoom in, etc. It may be hard to follow the route without it (that are is quite complex, geographically). 

CJ :)

This is taken off Stewart Island on the sea side

A tanker

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/30020219

Now where is it

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/30020318

Awesome pics!

Yep, those can be some very rough waters. Not all the time though; the first time I was off Cape Horn, it was dead calm, barely even any base swell, and the surface was glassy. However, that was in December (summer) and I was told it was very rare even so. 

Is it just me or is Bridget an really nasty person?

It's possible it's just you, but I must admit, sometimes she isn't the nicest of people. :)

However, she was very cheerful when we last heard her in this chapter, and smiling when we last saw her, so maybe she's not all bad?

Methinks That Bidgets hubris may just be her downfall ;) She thinks that she has it all together and that is the time that she becomes the most vunerable. Doesn't an old proverb say that pride comes before the fall and a haughty spirit before destruction.... Great chapter CJ thnx for the B/day present :)

just once, I thought just once you'd give us a great chapter with no sinister overtones, and the that call......  what a bloody great downer!

until next time......

many thanks!

• Like 1
Methinks That Bidgets hubris may just be her downfall ;) She thinks that she has it all together and that is the time that she becomes the most vunerable. Doesn't an old proverb say that pride comes before the fall and a haughty spirit before destruction.... Great chapter CJ thnx for the B/day present :)

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Bridget is a pretty good tactician, and believes in having more than one iron in the fire. But, will she overreach? She hasn't yet. :) 

just once, I thought just once you'd give us a great chapter with no sinister overtones, and the that call......  what a bloody great downer!

until next time......

many thanks!

But but but... everybody on the call was chipper and cheerful. What could possibly be sinister about that?

Here I was, trying to figure out where things were headed from here, congratulating the guys on some great seamanship, and then.....that phone call. As cunning as the Witch is, as sure as I was that she had something brewing in that evil mind of hers, I just didn't see that phone call coming. You continue to keep us on our toes as well as on the edge of our seats. Quite a balancing feat! Welcome back, CJ!

I read this with morning coffee and nearly spit out a sip or two with the phone call.

I know I've been a bit surly over the length of the story, and the amount of time it has taken us

To get to this point in the story, well now that we are here, I know there is going to be at least

An hour a week, gaping from the loss...

I'm not saying I'll miss Bridgett, seems everyone else keeps missing her, though...with guns, and bombs and such..

Very good addition to the journey...the photos were breathtaking, as was the description of the storm.

Your descriptions of Trevor and Shane's battles with the storm are thrilling.  Their perseverance, determination and courage are inspiring.  Wish I had learned to sail when I was young;  although not in such extreme conditions. 

Shame on you!  I thought the boys were finally going to have a brief relaxing interlude.  But you just had to add the last paragraph and leave them hanging over a cliff again.

I've been following this story from the beginning and want to compliment you and your editors for the wonderful job.  I have really enjoyed a creative story well told.  I would like to present an idea about this story.  If you tone down a few of the sex scenes, you might have a book publishable for a mid-teen audience.  It's the kind of adventure tale boys (of all ages) love to read.

Again thanks for a great story!

• Like 1

Wow, another epic sea voyage, made me woosy feeling their plight while I read contentedly in the parking lot prior to work!!

So who's the snitch? Fowler (we hope not, can't be, no way), Gonzalez (certainly not in his character) orrrrr Grundig? (hum...), with my luck it will be neither of them; for those keeping track, I have yet to guess correctly :thumbdown: .

Loved the pictures and of course the Google maps were awesome! 

Thanks again and welcome home CJ!!

The passage into the Beagle was again epic and of course we (those of us north of the equator) had to endure it during our winter.  The pictures and maps were neat.  Too bad Bridget wasn't on a small Cat following them and freezing her skinny ass off.  As time goes on I think Grundig must be the weak link. 

Here I was, all relieved that they'd made it to safe ground and suddenly...RING, RING, RING!!!  This is definetly a cliffy if there ever was one!  I may have to retract an earlier statement I'd made about CJ not using cliff hangers...

Great chapter, CJ and thank you very much for putting us through all that...I never felt to cold in all my life!  I used to bitch about shoveling the drive back home during the winter because that was so cold, but with almost 20 knot winds in freezing seas...man! :puke: I assume they had a heated cabin at least, can you imagine sailing around the horn without any heat at all in a wooden ship?  They probably had to make the topmen reef sails at gun point!  I can't wait for the endgame in this story, although I might have a heart attack until Bellvue is dealt with!

Argh! How did Bridgette get that number? I'm sure the goat well eventually tell us after we have dangled over the cliffs edge for a week...

He would put us there while claiming not not venture near to one of his cloven hooves...

;-)

B) .................. Indeed how did Bridget get Trevor's satellite phone number? 

Gonzales called Fowler’s office, spoke to Grundig, and received Fowler’s satellite phone number. Grundig was involved in 'helping' Trevor find the tracker, but in previous chapters he was given Trevor's satellite phone number;

Fowler’s eyes opened a little wider. “Good thinking. Okay, follow that up. Write up a request to them and then kick it upstairs to the commander; he can get action pretty quick. They’ll need the phone number,” Fowler said, reaching for a pad and pencil to write Trevor’s number down. 

It was preceded by this ” Grundig’s eyes glazed over for a moment, and then he added, “Speaking of calls… remember the wild goose chase Bridget led the police on by stashing that satellite phone in a truck? The satellite phone company was able to track it to a general area, and we know the Melbourne mob, plus Bridget herself, are very well connected. What if they had someone, somewhere, maybe in law enforcement or pretending to be, make a request to the satellite company? They could be tracking Trevor’s satellite phone while it’s in standby.”

Then in this chapter we have;

“I have dozens of people checking into everything that we can think of. Tracking his satellite phone is, unfortunately, proving to be beyond our current capabilities; bribes have been offered, but the companies guard that sort of capability very well. I will keep trying.”

Bridget met Xavier’s eyes, and to his surprise, began to smile.

Of course Bridget couldn't resist the urge to 'reach out and touch someone' via a phone call, hope Trevor doesn't choke on his meal!!  :P

I wonder if he will hang up on her telling her is in the middle of dinner, that ought to frost her!! :lol:  But I guess I really want to know what she was going to say to him? Or was it ploy to try and triangulate his position?

Great chapter goat! Now no more 2-week breaks for you!! <_<

Edited by Benji
  • Site Moderator
Here I was, all relieved that they'd made it to safe ground and suddenly...RING, RING, RING!!!  This is definetly a cliffy if there ever was one!  I may have to retract an earlier statement I'd made about CJ not using cliff hangers...

Argh! How did Bridgette get that number? I'm sure the goat well eventually tell us after we have dangled over the cliffs edge for a week... He would put us there while claiming not not venture near to one of his cloven hooves... ;-)

As a member of the team, I mentioned to CJ that some would think of it's a cliffy wondering who/where she got the number from. The answer can be found in the chapter released on Christmas Eve. Bridgette was looking at Julies phone and then smiled.

As a member of the team, I mentioned to CJ that some would think of it's a cliffy wondering who/where she got the number from. The answer can be found in the chapter released on Christmas Eve. Bridgette was looking at Julies phone and then smiled.

B) ......... Yep, I forgot that, before he only traded cell numbers with Julie, but it was that fateful mistake he made when he called her on the satellite phone;

Trevor, hands shaking slightly with nerves, called Julie on the satellite phone, and explained that, due to a brief weather window opening, he and Shane were on their way to Panama via the direct route. He’d checked: his claim was reasonable, based on the forecast.

Gosh, you guys on the forum make it so easy, thanks Benji and TalonRider!  With CJ the one thing I have learned is you can't trust anything you believe to be real.   The truth always seems to be the unexpected... Only time will tell!  Thanks again for making the forum so fun!

Here I was, trying to figure out where things were headed from here, congratulating the guys on some great seamanship, and then.....that phone call. As cunning as the Witch is, as sure as I was that she had something brewing in that evil mind of hers, I just didn't see that phone call coming. You continue to keep us on our toes as well as on the edge of our seats. Quite a balancing feat! Welcome back, CJ!

Thanks!!!!

But, maybe Bridget is just being nice, and is calling to congratulate Trevor and Shane? Perhaps on their arrival in Ushuaia?

I read this with morning coffee and nearly spit out a sip or two with the phone call. I know I've been a bit surly over the length of the story, and the amount of time it has taken us To get to this point in the story, well now that we are here, I know there is going to be at least An hour a week, gaping from the loss... I'm not saying I'll miss Bridgett, seems everyone else keeps missing her, though...with guns, and bombs and such.. Very good addition to the journey...the photos were breathtaking, as was the description of the storm.

Thanks!

I've been through the area twice, though on much larger ships and not in winter. It's spectacular, especially the northern arm of the Beage that Atlantis sailed through. It's called "Glacier Alley" The scenery is much like the fjords of Norway and Alaska's inside passage; absolutely awesome. 

Your descriptions of Trevor and Shane's battles with the storm are thrilling.  Their perseverance, determination and courage are inspiring.  Wish I had learned to sail when I was young;  although not in such extreme conditions. 

Shame on you!  I thought the boys were finally going to have a brief relaxing interlude.  But you just had to add the last paragraph and leave them hanging over a cliff again.

I've been following this story from the beginning and want to compliment you and your editors for the wonderful job.  I have really enjoyed a creative story well told.  I would like to present an idea about this story.  If you tone down a few of the sex scenes, you might have a book publishable for a mid-teen audience.  It's the kind of adventure tale boys (of all ages) love to read.

Again thanks for a great story!

But, it is a relaxing interlude. Honest. Trust me on this; a chapter or two from now, you'll look back at this and think it was relaxing. :)

Hrmmm!!! If I axed any dating or sexuality, Trevor and Shane could just be close friends. That's feasible, but then I'd have a problem explaining Trevor's run from Florida (the gay misunderstanding with his father). Great idea, and I'll see what I can come up with, but I'd have to rewrite huge amounts to make this free of sex or sexuality. I'm not familiar with the genera at all, so I'm wondering if I'd need to cut a lot of the violence, too? Interesting idea though, I'll think in it.   

Very entertaining chapter. Loved the photos and descriptions. Makes me want to sail around the world...but in a huge yacht!

Thanks! Same here. I'd love to sail a yacht around the world, a big one like Atlantis. The closest I've come to a circumnavigation by sea is two half circumnavigations, Australia to the UK, one eastbound, one westbound, by cruise ship. I've been out on yachts though (but not for long distances) so I'd love to give it a go. 

Wow, another epic sea voyage, made me woosy feeling their plight while I read contentedly in the parking lot prior to work!!

So who's the snitch? Fowler (we hope not, can't be, no way), Gonzalez (certainly not in his character) orrrrr Grundig? (hum...), with my luck it will be neither of them; for those keeping track, I have yet to guess correctly :thumbdown: .

Loved the pictures and of course the Google maps were awesome! 

Thanks again and welcome home CJ!!

Thanks!

BTW, I wrote much of the storm-at-sea part while in a storm at sea, while crossing the North Atlantic a few weeks ago. It wasn't as bad a storm though, and the other little difference was I was on a thousand foot long ship, not a 60 foot long yacht. Still, it was fun sitting and watching the sea while writing that. :) 

The passage into the Beagle was again epic and of course we (those of us north of the equator) had to endure it during our winter.  The pictures and maps were neat.  Too bad Bridget wasn't on a small Cat following them and freezing her skinny ass off.  As time goes on I think Grundig must be the weak link. 

Bridget likes others to do her dirty work for her. :)

Great chapter, CJ and thank you very much for putting us through all that...I never felt to cold in all my life!  I used to bitch about shoveling the drive back home during the winter because that was so cold, but with almost 20 knot winds in freezing seas...man! :puke: I assume they had a heated cabin at least, can you imagine sailing around the horn without any heat at all in a wooden ship?  They probably had to make the topmen reef sails at gun point!  I can't wait for the endgame in this story, although I might have a heart attack until Bellvue is dealt with!

Huh??!?! What?!!?!? But it's not a cliffy!!! You know I'd never, ever use a cliffy. And, thanks to Talonrider's post, we can look and see proof it's nto a cliffy: we know how Bridget got the number, we see her doing it in the last chapter: checking Julie's caller ID. See? Mystery solved, so not a cliffy.

Atlantis does have internal heat, both ducted engine waste heat (same principal as the heat in your car) and also a propane heater. It's warm inside, but probably not all that warm; maybe in the 60's. They wouldn't want it hotter even if they could; it makes going in and out too rough. Good thing Ned put some insulation in the salon ceiling. :)

Argh! How did Bridgette get that number? I'm sure the goat well eventually tell us after we have dangled over the cliffs edge for a week... He would put us there while claiming not not venture near to one of his cloven hooves... ;-)

Julie's phone. In the last chapter. And, seeing as we saw her do it, that means this cannot be a cliffy. :)

Once again a nail-biting chapter ,Looking forward as always to the next chapter . Thanks again for such a GREAT STORY

Thanks!!!

I'm going to miss this story when it's done. It's been a huge part of my life for three years now. Wow... I never thought it would take this long.

B) .................. Indeed how did Bridget get Trevor's satellite phone number? 

Gonzales called Fowler’s office, spoke to Grundig, and received Fowler’s satellite phone number. Grundig was involved in 'helping' Trevor find the tracker, but in previous chapters he was given Trevor's satellite phone number;

Fowler’s eyes opened a little wider. “Good thinking. Okay, follow that up. Write up a request to them and then kick it upstairs to the commander; he can get action pretty quick. They’ll need the phone number,” Fowler said, reaching for a pad and pencil to write Trevor’s number down. 

It was preceded by this ” Grundig’s eyes glazed over for a moment, and then he added, “Speaking of calls… remember the wild goose chase Bridget led the police on by stashing that satellite phone in a truck? The satellite phone company was able to track it to a general area, and we know the Melbourne mob, plus Bridget herself, are very well connected. What if they had someone, somewhere, maybe in law enforcement or pretending to be, make a request to the satellite company? They could be tracking Trevor’s satellite phone while it’s in standby.”

Then in this chapter we have;

“I have dozens of people checking into everything that we can think of. Tracking his satellite phone is, unfortunately, proving to be beyond our current capabilities; bribes have been offered, but the companies guard that sort of capability very well. I will keep trying.”

Bridget met Xavier’s eyes, and to his surprise, began to smile.

Of course Bridget couldn't resist the urge to 'reach out and touch someone' via a phone call, hope Trevor doesn't choke on his meal!!  :P

I wonder if he will hang up on her telling her is in the middle of dinner, that ought to frost her!! :lol:  But I guess I really want to know what she was going to say to him? Or was it ploy to try and triangulate his position?

Great chapter goat! Now no more 2-week breaks for you!! <_<

There is a risk here, one no one has mentioned; Trevor and Shane's Emanadas might get cold if they chat with Bridget for long, and Empanadas don't taste too good cold. They are awesome warm though.

Maybe Bridget is just being nice, and calling to say "hi"?

As we see, that's how she got it, and also, this highlights something else; there's a lot of smiling and good cheer going on. Bridget smiles several times, Trevor is happy and chipper when he answers the phone, Bridget is cheerful too. Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, doesn't it? ? :)

BTW, I usually release the chapter title about now, so I will. It's a nice, cheerful, happy title: Echos of War. Well, um, okay, so the title isn't all that cheerful, but titles can be misleading. :)

• Like 1

B) ..............Echos of War,    I can hardly wait, meanwhile the boys are stuck there until customs allows them to leave, I'm sure after Bridget and Trevor catch up with each other. :rolleyes:  The next phone call will be to Gonzales or Fowler to have the Customs people allow them to get the hell out of there. If Bridget even suspects she knows where they are, with her contacts, they'd be sitting ducks.

CJ, I have been following this story from the beginning, and always look forward to your next post. This one was especially exciting - how you know the details that you write about with the trip through the storm is beyond me. Now, why was the Witch so happy......that is what, of course has me worried. 

• Site Administrator

Things are starting to make sense now 0:)

I am a total idiot :(

I read the chapter on my phone as I didn't have access to a computer at the time. Unfortunately as I read about half I started getting the 20% battery left and then 10% and then it died. I thought I had finished the chapter and a lot of things didn't make sense about the phone call :unsure: . I recalled the smile crossing Bridget's face when Xavier mentioned about the phone companies protection of numbers but unfortunately didn't read the last line of the chapter :o

I went back and reread the whole chapter to see what you all were talking about and at the end got the final sentence :o .Now I'm up to speed. That one sentence made the whole chapter into a major cliffhanger. If we will find this as nice and relaxing, I am in a way not looking for the torture I'm about to endure over the next few chapters :(

I noticed above CJ made the comment about Bridget making others do her dirty work to a comment about Grundig being on her side. I will take this now as confirmation I guessed right about Grundig many, many, many, many chapters ago :P

Then again, there is the outside chance Trevor has now choked on his empanadas and is in the hospital and about to be medivac airlifted to the states, hopefully with the tape with him :D

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..