Why Google Leads the Way

I saw this today through a Tech mate, and wow, I wants me a pair of these. :D

Sorry, I know there are those that don't agree, but as I see it, this is the stuff that makes Google possibly one of the most influential companies of our time. Apple stand back, there's a new kid on the block.

http://www.google.com/glass/start/what-it-does/

• Like 2

This would be a logical step in technology.  Voice control is something everyone wants, so I'm guessing that the ultimate device will be one that's contained in a chip that can be worn, or maybe implanted, and a display that would resemble a contact lense.  I think Glass will be outdone by someone with a better design. 

What I see here isn't what I would call cutting edge, it isn't especially unique.  It's similar to the heads up displays I've seen in some vehicles, and some homes have voice controlled automation that let's you control everything in the house with simple voice commands from any room in the house.  That includes lighting, heat, TV, kitchen appliances, and anything else you want to wire up to it.  Even the shower can be controlled to deliver just the right pattern at just the right temperature.  The only things you can't do, at least not yet, is put the dog out, and stop the nagging of your significant other.

The Glass doesn't seem to me to have had much thought put into it, at least going by what little I've seen of it.  I would think that they would have AT LEAST made it adaptable for people who need to wear regular glasses.  As it is, if your one of the many people who wear glasses then it's of no use to you.  Even if you don't need to wear glasses, would you want to wear this weird looking thing everywhere you go?  My guess is the answer is no. 

All in all, it seems that Google has done little more than become the first to promote a technology that is bound to become common place.  In the end I think they will be outdone by someone who will design a product with more options and better adaptability.  Something that isn't quite so "in your face" as the Glass is.  My opinion aside, it's a clear indication of what's to come.  Like most new technology it's intended to make life easier, and I'm betting that Glass is going to end up a sidenote in the technology history book, overshadowed by a superior successor.

• Like 1

Does indeed seem pretty cool, and it also comes across as pretty dorky. I mean, walking around wearing those things... Not yet. Pretty interesting, though, that some houses have voice-controlled automation... Kinda scary too. Seems far-fetched, tad futuristic, all mind-blowing.

This one's made by Google, though, so I already don't trust it to not collect every bit of information it can. xD

And it's uber-uber expensive. Don't think it'd become a common toy anytime soon... least Apple gets in on it. ;)

I agree with Ghostboy - this isn't particularly cutting edge. The technology's been around for ages. Give me a few components and some old frames and I could make one, albeit not one as refined as Google's. 

I do think Glass is natural progress though (unlike tablets!), but it has a long long way to go before it gets to the point where it's actually worthwhile using. Google is just trying to push the tech now - something which will hopefully one day result in it actually being usable as opposed to a gimmick (much like commercial 3D). 

This would be a logical step in technology.  Voice control is something everyone wants, so I'm guessing that the ultimate device will be one that's contained in a chip that can be worn, or maybe implanted, and a display that would resemble a contact lense.  I think Glass will be outdone by someone with a better design. 

What I see here isn't what I would call cutting edge, it isn't especially unique.  It's similar to the heads up displays I've seen in some vehicles, and some homes have voice controlled automation that let's you control everything in the house with simple voice commands from any room in the house.  That includes lighting, heat, TV, kitchen appliances, and anything else you want to wire up to it.  Even the shower can be controlled to deliver just the right pattern at just the right temperature.  The only things you can't do, at least not yet, is put the dog out, and stop the nagging of your significant other.

The Glass doesn't seem to me to have had much thought put into it, at least going by what little I've seen of it.  I would think that they would have AT LEAST made it adaptable for people who need to wear regular glasses.  As it is, if your one of the many people who wear glasses then it's of no use to you.  Even if you don't need to wear glasses, would you want to wear this weird looking thing everywhere you go?  My guess is the answer is no. 

All in all, it seems that Google has done little more than become the first to promote a technology that is bound to become common place.  In the end I think they will be outdone by someone who will design a product with more options and better adaptability.  Something that isn't quite so "in your face" as the Glass is.  My opinion aside, it's a clear indication of what's to come.  Like most new technology it's intended to make life easier, and I'm betting that Glass is going to end up a sidenote in the technology history book, overshadowed by a superior successor.

As far as fashion goes, there are plenty of people out there who don't have a fashion sense -- look at all the people who wear bluetooth headsets like they're a fashion accessory.  Productivity is important to some, and this thing is the ultimate (well, almost) in hands-free productivity.  I could very easily see some artists use it in a manner similar to the sculptor in the sample video.  Better yet, prescription lenses are available for it, from what I was just able to research.  Finally, while a 'better designed' successor could probably do a lot of damage to it, I'm not going to bet against google being able to remain in the market.  iPhones are in many ways superior to android, but Android is still out there, going strong.  And the next-best competitor is blackberry, who really just can't keep up (and never could outside of business).

On a recent family trip, I became 'Mr. Information' because I could quickly and readily look things up on my iPad when they came up in discussion; this thing would be a step past that.  The price tag is high for something that in many ways is a novelty, but if the technology improves, I could readily see this replacing tablets for many functions.

In the end, your final point is probably correct however: the most important part of this is that Google is pushing a technology that will become common place.  The possibilities, especially once the price drops, are just too big to ignore.  Imagine a reactor facility where, in addition to the panel after panel of controls, every worker had a personal display that could show something important to them.  Imagine on a military vessel, where a 'personal HUD' could readily enable a computer to help co-ordinate crew to handle damage control -- or on a civilian vessel, where crew members could now dynamically direct passengers to lifeboats with room, rather than just hoping that they're sending the right number to each boat.  And those are just what I can think of, and history has shown that in the end, we can never really imagine the impact a technology will have until after we're living it.

The problem with this device - whatever you think of it - is batteries. Spec wearers know that lightness is key that's why titanium is so popular. Who wants to wear specs-with-batteries :P Or specs-with-wires connected to batteries. Nope, not me :D

This is a cheaper, simpler version of a helmet mounted display and infra red cameras mounted on fireman's helmet.

http://www.baesystems.com/product/BAES_020200/q-sight-helmet-mounted-displays?_afrLoop=762428511448000&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null&baeSessionId=35nFRtVd3gKnkxz7QGhh3z8tmCqDcvVF14qJCTcYy2hZn1JGlnVg!-65502413#%40%3F_afrWindowId%3Dnull%26baeSessionId%3D35nFRtVd3gKnkxz7QGhh3z8tmCqDcvVF14qJCTcYy2hZn1JGlnVg%2521-65502413%26_afrLoop%3D762428511448000%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D15dkaszxnk_4

Plug

If you have the computer backup and data base, you can find you way around buildings, recognise objects, or around cities, or countries. Hardware wise, the technology has existed for years,  Google has just simplified drastically.  The real problem has been the data base, and computer backup. Google has that data base so that, you can actually use it for something useful. Being first in, using data from your user, could increase data base and keep lead over other suppliers.

Today, I am told on mobile phones, mapping is the most used facility. If, when you can co-ordinate photo recognistion of places and streets with that mobile phone display, you will probably have a winner

Not sure I agree with everything that you say, although you do have some solid points.

Glass is an amalgamation of a lot of different technologies, but then that is common with many bits of tech these days. Yes it is born from military hardware coming to play in the commercial world, yes it has similarities to heads up displays in cars (although I wasn't aware that vehicle mounted heads up displays also had a camera you could control) and voice command has been something we've known about for a good few years.

When apple started out their first Personal PC had a massive price tag with it. I can recall GPS units that cost a bomb when they first came out. A iPhone is still over £500 in the shops. When flat screen TV's first hit the shelves they were priced way over the odds. As a new product, launched to lead the way, it will cost a small fortune, but time and competition will drive that cost down.

I agree that others will bring out products that will improve on the design and function of glass. That is natural progression. Samsung gave Apple the heeby geebies when they released their version of the smart phone. It is bound to happen.

As for prescription lenses? It is not difficult to assume that a lens manufacturer would be able to shape and fit lenses to glass that would meet with a personal prescription for eye glasses. I think it is a little short sighted to assume that this wouldn't have been considered at the very least!

But then there is any of a range of options to get around this. Clear lenses in glass used with contact lenses, in the same way some people do with sun glasses to avoid glare. I personally have a few different sets of glasses which I use in different circumstances. It'd be logical to assume an owner of a pair of Google Glass tech would not want to or be able to wear them all the time. (Battery charging, downloading, syncing, etc)

I guess a lot of it does come down to personal preference. Some people won't like the application and could find the heads up display distracting. Others will love it, and I am sure that there will be those that find unique and inspired ways of using Glass to contribute to our world and experience of it. As an adventure junky jumping off a cliff top, what a rush to be able to record that hands free, and share it almost live with people that you know and care about. Wow. A mom who captures a classic pic or vid of their kid and shares it with a grandparent a 1000 miles away then and there. I know my mom would find that pretty damn cool. My niece is getting married in Cape Town in June. Imagine her wearing Glass on her special day to share that day with those of us who won't be able to be there with her. Heck I can see a load of ways that this could make life a lot richer for a lot of people. I guess it just depends on how you choose to use it, if you bother to of course.

This one's made by Google, though, so I already don't trust it to not collect every bit of information it can. xD

Erm, our mobile phones pretty much do this already don't they? :P

The problem with this device - whatever you think of it - is batteries. Spec wearers know that lightness is key that's why titanium is so popular. Who wants to wear specs-with-batteries :P Or specs-with-wires connected to batteries. Nope, not me :D

Yush that is one point I would agree on. Don't like the idea of a massive battery pack. :P

I wonder how they will power it, and how much lifetime its power supply will have. It'd be a bit of a pain to have the map suddenly go dead on a busy highway.

Erm, our mobile phones pretty much do this already don't they? :P

Oh God, yes. It's ridiculous. I logged into Skype once, and the damned thing integrated my contacts--I don't want my Skype/MSN contacts on my frakking phone. Since I've logged into Google Play, I'm frightened to check online; Google might have already added my phone number to shite.  At least they don't have my real name... hopefully-probably... I will never log into Facebook from that thing.

Though, on topic; what I really meant was seeing what I see. My phone defaulted to allowing Apps my Geo-location, so I'm pretty sure they're all already following me...

They're everywhere, man--everywhere. They're following me, oh my Jesus--noooooooo~~~ *gets dragged off by Don't Be Evil agents*

Next year, Apple will produce the "iSee" at twice the price tag with more features :P

Don't worry Finn, you can hide out with me in a cabin somewhere in the woods, where no technology can ever have access to you...oh wait Google satellites already know where that is, so I guess we're all pretty much doomed :D

I think privacy is going out of style with the explosion of information technology, you can tracked with GPS, your favorite songs listed by Amazon's buyer algorithms or iTune's, and your personal contacts can link you to every group or organization in the world.

Edited by W_L

And that frightens me; I like my anonymity. I neither need nor want everyone everywhere I have ever had contact with tracking and watching me every moment of every day. Neither do I want the power that comes with this stuff--information on you--in anyone's hands but /you/. It's, disturbing and unsettling. >_>

Cyberspace should be free, yo. o/o/o/o/o/o/o/

Also~~, I'd love to join you in your remote cabin, but I'm afraid I'd die from lack of Interwebs. :P