Roads You Hate To Drive On

TetRefine

On the other hand, the fact that you can buy a Apple products without having to pay any taxes on them makes it worth it, right?

The Christiana Mall area is trying to turn itself into a mega-shopping center- hence them adding a new anchor and a new sister shopping center. Hence all the traffic building.

Thats actually been the reason for my last several trips down there. It may not be as big as KOP, but it certainly has a lot and the ability to save on taxes when making big purchases makes it better then KOP. Also, I think the drive south on 95 is easier then having to go up on 476 and then over through all the mall and business traffic on 76. 

Edited by TetRefine

Can you speed on that one? Are there many speed checks?

Depends on the time of year, I guess. I've driven the stretch many many times. Last time I drove it, there was a road block on the northbound side and I passed about 20 cops in 322 miles (518 km). I normally do about eight mph over the speed limit, only been pulled over on the stretch once in nine years.

1024px-Million_Dollar_Highway_10_2006_09

The Million Dollar Highway in Colorado.  That edge drops off a lot, and it's pretty damn close. 

As someone who's afraid of heights, that road would scare the ever-loving shit out of me.

Edited by methodwriter85

Did you know that in the 1960's, Los Angeles was offered a free monorail system and the car industry basically lobbied to turn that down? Now they're stuck trying to build a massively expensive subway system.

I've never been to L.A., but from what I understand, traffic there is unreal. Forget being stuck in 6 lane-high traffic; you've got like 10 lanes to deal with.

Dallas, Houston, DC, Boston, and Atlanta are also apparently really horrible places to drive as well.

Did you know that in the 1960's, Los Angeles was offered a free monorail system and the car industry basically lobbied to turn that down? Now they're stuck trying to build a massively expensive subway system.

I've never been to L.A., but from what I understand, traffic there is unreal. Forget being stuck in 6 lane-high traffic; you've got like 10 lanes to deal with.

Dallas, Houston, DC, Boston, and Atlanta are also apparently really horrible places to drive as well.

Trying to drive in Boston drove me bonkers. They built this huge tunnel under the downtown area to "ease the congestion". Seemed easier to me- till i completely missed my exit expecting it to me at the END of the tunnel, not dead in the middle of the darned thing!

And that road in Colorado that Mark posted a picture of?  Wouldn't just get the fear of heights people. That wall arms reach out the passenger window would get us claustrophobes too!

1024px-Million_Dollar_Highway_10_2006_09

The Million Dollar Highway in Colorado.  That edge drops off a lot, and it's pretty damn close. 

*Is suddenly reminded of his experience of a drunken ride of hell, and shudders*

Oh i forgot to mention the Churchill Barriers in Orkney

fantastic and beautiful on a good day, but scary as when the weather is less than perfect!

<< the road is going off  the right hand side of the picture

IMG_0344.jpg

8274155821_77759d83b0_z.jpg

OMG what the fuck is that?  You could totally spin out into the ocean if you are the unfortunate someone who gets rained on suddenly. I can't swim :unsure:

• Like 1

OMG what the fuck is that?  You could totally spin out into the ocean if you are the unfortunate someone who gets rained on suddenly. I can't swim :unsure:

well if you really wanted a history lesson, they were built during WW2 to stop attacks by german U-boats on the military ships moored in Scapa Flow. They are causeways between some of the Orkney Isles, with roads on top. The crash barriers continue the whole way down, so i think youd have to work pretty hard to spin into the ocean haha unless you really smacked them with some force! and they shut it when the road becomes too dangerous and impassable. On a really calm day it looks like the picture below :) its in stronger winds, storms or rain which you have to watch. Unfortunately, all of these are common on Orkney :P

800px-Churchill-Barrier-3.jpg

Oh i forgot to mention the Churchill Barriers in Orkney

fantastic and beautiful on a good day, but scary as when the weather is less than perfect!

<< the road is going off  the right hand side of the picture

IMG_0344.jpg

8274155821_77759d83b0_z.jpg

This makes me really, really happy that everytime I've driven this stretch of road, it was a bright, sunshiny day.

My least loved roads are:

- M25 between M23 and M40 (southwest side of London)

- I-85 from I-285 to I-285 (through the middle of Atlanta)

- I-40 from Clyde, NC to Newport TN (through the Great Smoky Mountains.  Two lanes in each direction separated by concrete barrier, little to no shoulder, heavily traveled, lots of transfer trucks and frequent rock-slides).  Honorable mention is nearby Forest Service Road 148 through Pisgah Forest.  It's a lot like the Colorado road previously posted, but it's gravel, barely one lane wide (although theoretically, it's a two lane road).  Lots of switchbacks and blind curves as it climbs 3000 feet over about 10 miles.  30 minutes of stressful driving, but worth it for the view at the top of the mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

the rush hour traphic in Ho Chi Min City makes me cringe waiting for the wreck to happen....

some of those Churchill causways look like they go over areas that are to shallow for submarines to go through (although over 50 years of Silt build up will do that... and blockages like causeways are good for silt build up)

by the by, what about the causway between Florida and the Keys i hear they can get pretty bad during hurricanes and so on.

I-10_zpse175a687.png

I-10 is in red.

Driving long distances on I-10 can be REALLY nerve racking.

I-10 goes along the Gulf Coast from Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana to Houston and beyond.  It is a major smuggling conduit. People either drive like maniacs or very conservatively which makes things very hairy.

The mules do the speed limit and others go ~80. Can get downright dangerous in weather.

Not to mention the stupid cop tricks when they stop everybody for a "license" check... with dogs and lots of guns.

I'll be driving a slice of it soon but that's all I care to drive of it- just a slice.

Edited by jamessavik

Were those intersections or pissed off ant hills ????   I'll stick to my jeep and back roads when ever I can, preferable dirt roads! The sport car drivers stay on the blacktop!

I've driven on this road:

trolls-stairway-norway_60031_990x742.jpg

I was just the passenger, but still. It was... not entirely pleasant. :P It's the Troll's Ladder, which is a national tourist road in Møre og Romsdal county in Norway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Most of Northern California highways are okay, but some needs expansion for more lanes.  The worse however, is the Maze, that is, the interchange between I-80 (from San Francisco to east bay via super busy Bay Bridge!!!), I-880, I-580 (which goes to Central Valley, but also is the interconnect to I-680 to Sacramento), I-980 (which divides into CA-24).  It's a very confusing place that requires extremely short distance merge if you got out from Berkeley via Ashby.  If you are on the wrong lane, you'll get into the wrong freeway.  If you got onto I-80, then you'd be d*mned..., enjoy the view on the longest bridge in the San Francisco Bay, and pay the toll, and then drive back to the Maze and try again (and hopefully you get it right the second try).  I think it's five or six lanes on each side, and tons of signs make you information overload, and tons of cars merging dangerously.  I had to drive from UC Berkeley (my brother studied there) to home in San Jose via I-880 a lot.  I-880 is such a major freeway, but the sign from I-580 W/I-80 E to I-880 is so obscure, you may get onto I-980 instead, which is of course, completely different direction....

If you drive from I-880 to pass beyond Berkeley, now, you're in for a treat also.  I-580 and I-80 after Emeryville is merged into one freeway for stupid federal funding reason.  So it's one freeway with two names!!!  To make it worse, I-580 West is the same as I-80 East.  How can a freeway be both east bound and west bound at the same time, you ask....  Well..., it's a north bound highway, isn't it obvious???  :/  (just check on google map and see what I mean).  Anyways, it's I-80 East, because it's coming from San Francisco (via Bay Bridge, which is part of I-80), and I-580 West, coming from Central Valley (Livermore/Tracy).  Absolutely no logic whatsoever considering it goes north....  Next time you go to Napa wine country in North Bay coming from South Bay via East Bay, remember to get on I-80 East/I-580 West....  Or please enjoy the view of the longest bridge in SF Bay that is the Bay Bridge, pay your toll, go to San Francisco, be congested on CA-1/US 101 (yes two names for one freeway again), and enjoy the modern wonder we call Golden Gate Bridge, and take the long route to Napa Valley.

Yes, it's called the Maze....

Edited by Ashi