If you had a time machine...

JamesSavik

I'd be a tourist with a time machine: visit the dinosaurs and sneaze like homer simpson, flip the pyramids architectural plans upside down, attempt Hitler's assasination (cuz that's what everyone does with a time machine), and kill my own grandfather a quantum second before or after my dad or moms conception.

The universe needs a middle finger pointed at it.

sounds like all the high points of dr who

I'd be a tourist with a time machine: visit the dinosaurs and sneaze like homer simpson, flip the pyramids architectural plans upside down, attempt Hitler's assasination (cuz that's what everyone does with a time machine), and kill my own grandfather a quantum second before or after my dad or moms conception.

The universe needs a middle finger pointed at it.

• Like 1

There's so much I could go back to see or instances in history that I could change if I had a time machine, but if I were forced to choose only one, I'd go back and give my pre-teen self some important advice.  Don't start smoking (which I gave up 13 years later), stay away from certain individuals and be true to myself, rather than trying to live up to other people's expectations for me. 

Of course, if one goes back in time with the intent to change something, changing it would eliminate the need to go back in the first place, and so one would never have gone. Changes made to history when travelling back in time must always be accidental or at least not premeditated, so as not to create a paradox.

I'd go back to no electricity, no cars, and no frivolous items unless necessary.  I'd love to live in a cabin with no lights but lanterns and the fireplace, my hubby, daughter and grandson, and my dog.  Life is too friggin complicated now.  I want the simple life.  Give me a wood stove, and I'd make my family happy and content.  Cut an evergreen from the woods on the mountain, and I'd bring life to Christmas.  Give me a bit of flour and lard, and I'd make them Christmas cookies that would seem like an ipad in today's world.  When they woke up to a truck whittled out of firewood, and a doll made out of scraps of leftover material, they would think life was wonderful.  Yeah, give me a time machine.

Of course, if one goes back in time with the intent to change something, changing it would eliminate the need to go back in the first place, and so one would never have gone. Changes made to history when travelling back in time must always be accidental or at least not premeditated, so as not to create a paradox.

If you went back and accidentally changed something which affected the development of time travel you would still have a paradox. :)

If you went back and accidentally changed something which affected the development of time travel you would still have a paradox. :)

True. Also, if you changed something that made it so you yourself were never born. Because if you did that, you could never have gone in the first place.

True. Also, if you changed something that made it so you yourself were never born. Because if you did that, you could never have gone in the first place.

Nope - you'd have entered a new parallel universe where you suddenly materialised and the "old" one simply continued ... but without you :P

Edited by Zombie

Nope - you'd have entered a new parallel universe where you suddenly materialised and the "old" one simply continued ... but without you :P

Well, that all depends on whose theory of time travel you're ascribing to...

The idea of parallel universes has been around a long time as a standard scifi plot device, but multiverse theory is now part of science mainstream. As I understand it the mathematics - hence maths :D - permit time travel but only between these universes :P

Read this for the grandfather paradox and other fun stuff :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

Blatantly ignoring all the science crap I'd go back a few years to tell idiot addy to face certain truths head on dammit. Or I'd go back in time to see dead Richard Wagner in his gondola in Venice.

Go back to the year when i was 17 and in Canada and NEVER LEAVE!

Good idea. We could even have met, maybe be neighbors, imagine that.

• Like 1