hh5 Posted August 27, 2013 Posted August 27, 2013 go everywhere and screw up history while waiting for Dr Who to save the day lol
A.J. Posted August 27, 2013 Posted August 27, 2013 Great Scott! I'd go back and make sure Marty McFly was never born. 1
Thorn Wilde Posted August 27, 2013 Posted August 27, 2013 I'd go back to when one of my older celebrity crushes was my age and seduce them. 1
JamesSavik Posted August 27, 2013 Author Posted August 27, 2013 I'd go back to 1996 and tell myself that when I met Lee to make it a one night stand and then run like hell and change my number.
W_L Posted August 27, 2013 Posted August 27, 2013 I'd be a tourist with a time machine: visit the dinosaurs and sneaze like homer simpson, flip the pyramids architectural plans upside down, attempt Hitler's assasination (cuz that's what everyone does with a time machine), and kill my own grandfather a quantum second before or after my dad or moms conception. The universe needs a middle finger pointed at it.
hh5 Posted August 28, 2013 Posted August 28, 2013 sounds like all the high points of dr who I'd be a tourist with a time machine: visit the dinosaurs and sneaze like homer simpson, flip the pyramids architectural plans upside down, attempt Hitler's assasination (cuz that's what everyone does with a time machine), and kill my own grandfather a quantum second before or after my dad or moms conception.The universe needs a middle finger pointed at it. 1
Slytherin Posted August 28, 2013 Posted August 28, 2013 I'd go back to 1895 before the trials and convince Oscar Wilde that he really should leave England ! 1
Zombie Posted August 28, 2013 Posted August 28, 2013 I'd go back to my 20 year old self and give some personal advice - oh yeah, and some share tips
Thorn Wilde Posted August 28, 2013 Posted August 28, 2013 I'd go back to 1895 before the trials and convince Oscar Wilde that he really should leave England ! I approve of this idea. 1
Bill W Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 There's so much I could go back to see or instances in history that I could change if I had a time machine, but if I were forced to choose only one, I'd go back and give my pre-teen self some important advice. Don't start smoking (which I gave up 13 years later), stay away from certain individuals and be true to myself, rather than trying to live up to other people's expectations for me.
Thorn Wilde Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Of course, if one goes back in time with the intent to change something, changing it would eliminate the need to go back in the first place, and so one would never have gone. Changes made to history when travelling back in time must always be accidental or at least not premeditated, so as not to create a paradox.
joann414 Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 I'd go back to no electricity, no cars, and no frivolous items unless necessary. I'd love to live in a cabin with no lights but lanterns and the fireplace, my hubby, daughter and grandson, and my dog. Life is too friggin complicated now. I want the simple life. Give me a wood stove, and I'd make my family happy and content. Cut an evergreen from the woods on the mountain, and I'd bring life to Christmas. Give me a bit of flour and lard, and I'd make them Christmas cookies that would seem like an ipad in today's world. When they woke up to a truck whittled out of firewood, and a doll made out of scraps of leftover material, they would think life was wonderful. Yeah, give me a time machine.
Zombie Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 I'd go back to no electricity, no cars, and no frivolous items ... Yeah ... until you get an abscess Jo Ann 1
Palantir Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Of course, if one goes back in time with the intent to change something, changing it would eliminate the need to go back in the first place, and so one would never have gone. Changes made to history when travelling back in time must always be accidental or at least not premeditated, so as not to create a paradox. If you went back and accidentally changed something which affected the development of time travel you would still have a paradox.
Thorn Wilde Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 If you went back and accidentally changed something which affected the development of time travel you would still have a paradox. True. Also, if you changed something that made it so you yourself were never born. Because if you did that, you could never have gone in the first place.
Zombie Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 (edited) True. Also, if you changed something that made it so you yourself were never born. Because if you did that, you could never have gone in the first place. Nope - you'd have entered a new parallel universe where you suddenly materialised and the "old" one simply continued ... but without you . Edited August 29, 2013 by Zombie
Thorn Wilde Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Nope - you'd have entered a new parallel universe where you suddenly materialised and the "old" one simply continued ... but without you . Well, that all depends on whose theory of time travel you're ascribing to...
Zombie Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 The idea of parallel universes has been around a long time as a standard scifi plot device, but multiverse theory is now part of science mainstream. As I understand it the mathematics - hence maths - permit time travel but only between these universes Read this for the grandfather paradox and other fun stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox
Aditus Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Blatantly ignoring all the science crap I'd go back a few years to tell idiot addy to face certain truths head on dammit. Or I'd go back in time to see dead Richard Wagner in his gondola in Venice.
Sasha Distan Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Go back to the year when i was 17 and in Canada and NEVER LEAVE! also, i believe in a split string multiverse. somewhere, everything happens...
Aditus Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Go back to the year when i was 17 and in Canada and NEVER LEAVE! Good idea. We could even have met, maybe be neighbors, imagine that. 1
Sasha Distan Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Good idea. We could even have met, maybe be neighbors, imagine that. *cries for the lost universe where we get to live in the same town*
Kiltie69 Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Why go back, I wanna see how bad things get before we actually get our act together as a planet.
Thorn Wilde Posted August 29, 2013 Posted August 29, 2013 Why go back, I wanna see how bad things get before we actually get our act together as a planet. Spoilers...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now