Tattoos

Celethiel

Tattooes how much is a lot

for instance a full arm sleeve is a lot to me.

But also to me it's a matter of personal taste and perspective.

One man's too much is another man's not enough...

So the question is how much is a lot... to you?

i have four. back, massive shoulder piece, foot and a little one behind one ear. i do not consider this to be excessive. my best girl has a full thigh piece (it's beautiful) both feet and peacock wings wrapped around her hips. she also has a tattoo on the inside of her upper arm and one on her ribs for out friend Tom who died last year.

mine all mean something, her's not so much (apart from the obvious)

I think too much is when you have less surface area not tattooed than you do tattooed, but i'd never hold the number of tattoos someone has against them. i would judge quality and content. if you're stupid enough to get a shite tattoo or something really dodgy (like all those kids who get pissed and get "joke" tattoos) then you're just giving the rest of us a bad name. at the end of the day though, it's your body, off you go ,and unless it's actually offensive (see neo-nazi symbols, actually having swear works or sex acts tattooed on public parts of you) i have no problems with it.

• Like 1

For me, too many is when long sleeves and long pants don't cover them all. Too many is when you see multiple tats in one glimpse, and they don't relate to each other. The more ink, the more important it becomes to have a consistent style to them.

But this is coming from somebody w/o any body modifications.

I wouldn't mind, if I could decide on something to live with the rest of my life.

I've had several ideas for tattoos since my mid teens. Boy, am I glad I never got some of those early ones... :P I don't think quantity matters so much as quality. Myself, I think I'd only ever want a few tattoos, and probably nothing too in-your-face. Since I'm more of a word person than a picture person, I've played with the idea of tattooing song lyrics and poems that mean something to me on various parts of my body. 

I don't care one bit how many tattoos anyone else has got. To each their own. Personally, I don't find an abundance of super colourful tattoos to be very attractive, but I'm sure it can be on the right person, and it's not like anyone else needs or should want my approval or anyone else's for what they choose to do with their own bodies, just like I don't ask anyone else before I get a new piercing or dye my hair. *shrug*

A friend of mine has a photo of Amanda Palmer that he took himself (he's a professional photographer) tattooed onto his thigh. It's skillfully done, but I would never tattoo someone's face on my body. It's kind of like getting your boyfriend's name tattooed somewhere. :P

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2

Tattoos are not for everyone. I have a number and will still be getting more as I come up with the proper ideas. But there is still a residual stigma that began from feudal Japan using tattoos to mark criminals. The Yakuza took that idea and began tattooing themselves as a mark of their allegiance. That viewpoint is still persistent in some form, although nowhere near as strong now.

It's a matter of self-expression and I myself find tattoos utterly fascinating when done well. I have certainly seen some awful ink as well as stupid. (I've seen a woman who had an outline of the state of Michigan tattooed large across one cheek and a series that looks like ink vomiting out of her mouth, covering her chin and down her neck. I'm not kidding.)

I don't subscribe to the automatic concept of all body modification is mutilation. I also don't subscribe to the "too much is when it can't be covered" mantra. That just implies that there's something wrong with it in the first place. Granted, it does potentially create friction in the work environment and depending on the job you're looking for, it may be smart to be able to conceal them. Or at least until people realize that tattoos are not just for the depraved and criminally inclined.

As long as you'll be happy with them when you're old and grey, then do as you please.  Getting a tattoo is a serious commitment.  I tend to think about it this way: laser tattoo removal costs a lot more than the actual tattoo.  You have to have the mindset that this tattoo is going to be on your body for the rest of your life.  Boyfriends, girlfriends, work, marriage, kids, divorce, whatever.  If you don't think you want a tattoo through all of those things, then you probably shouldn't get a tattoo.  

The person who has done both of my tattoos did something very important for me before I got the first one.  I wanted an octopus that covered my entire foot.  He held up a brush made of steel wool that I'm assuming was used to scrub rust off nails or something.  He held it up and told me, "this is what we use to remove tattoos."  Of course he was kidding, but the idea stuck.  Needless to say, I still got said octopus and I am still incredibly happy with my octo, four years later.  I LOVE my tattoos.  They both mean an incredible amount to me.  Do I want more?  Yes.  However, we are still at an age where visible tattoos are not generally accepted in the mainstream workplace, so, for right now, I will be careful as to where I place them.  In the future, I would like to get a half-sleeve, but I can't even think about that right now.  Tattoos = money and money is not something I have at the moment.

POOR BROKE COLLEGE KIDS FOR THE WIN!  WHOOOOOOOO.

I have one, and its getting removed eventually. >_<

All of mine are very personal so I'm fortunate that I likely won't tire of them. I planned the design and placement of all of them. Hope yours isn't too painful to remove. Ouch.

• Like 1

All of mine are very personal so I'm fortunate that I likely won't tire of them. I planned the design and placement of all of them. Hope yours isn't too painful to remove. Ouch.

It's on my back near my shoulder blade. :(

i think that the general opinion of people over 40 is that tattoos are something one gets when one is young and stupid, and are inconvenient once you enter the 'adult world', especially the business world.  That's probably true, since those narrow-minded people tend to manage that environment. 

I think it's simply a matter of personal choice, similar to hairstyles or clothing picks, even though tattoos have longer-lasting effects.  Those choices come with risks, and with rewards.  One risk is that your tastes will change, and you'll be stuck with something on your body you don't like.  Another is that you'll run into one of those narrow-minded idiots when you're in the world of commerce who would judge you for your body art.  I have a friend in his sixties who was making some unpleasant comments about a young woman with a beautiful tattoo on her back (it was a dragon).  He seemed to think she'd gotten it when she was drunk off her ass (like the one he'd gotten in Manila when he was in the Navy...can you say hypocrite?).  He didn't realize how long it takes (or how expensive it was) for her to get that done.  It was not a drunken lapse of judgment.

On the other hand, you can end up with some really attractive and sexy art on your body.  If you want an example, go to the gallery and take a look at Mann Rambling's geisha-in-progress.  I can't wait to see the finished product! 

• Like 1

I've always thought it was a personal choice. I can't say I have any, but my brother has an eagle across his shoulder, a castle the melts into a wizard on his left calf and a tiger on his right. He added a rose with my mother's date on his arm when she passed. The work on his body is beautiful and personal. The eagle celebrated his sobriety, the tiger was his nickname growing up, and the castle was when he finally was able to buy a home. The only time I don't like a tattoo is when it is poorly done or can be offensive.

• Like 1

I've always said that I could see myself with a small, tasteful, inconspicuous tat if I could find a subject that interested me enough to want to live with it the rest of my life. But at 61 I still haven't found the "it" that would send me to a reputable parlor. So maybe I'm no so open minded when it comes to my own body; I really don't know. I try very hard not to judge others because of appearance. But I also have to admit that the more a person's body is covered by their artwork, the harder it is for me to concentrate on their inner qualities. That may not be fair, but after all, I'm only human, and we all have our shortcomings. For those brothers and sisters who've chosen this path, let me say this. There is nothing wrong with your personal choice. Any problems I may have with it are mine to deal with. And again, unless your whole body is darned near covered with tats, it's a non-issue. For those of you who are, I'm a work in progress, and hope you can be patient; I still love you, and hope you feel the same!

• Like 4

I've always said that I could see myself with a small, tasteful, inconspicuous tat if I could find a subject that interested me enough to want to live with it the rest of my life. But at 61 I still haven't found the "it" that would send me to a reputable parlor. So maybe I'm no so open minded when it comes to my own body; I really don't know. I try very hard not to judge others because of appearance. But I also have to admit that the more a person's body is covered by their artwork, the harder it is for me to concentrate on their inner qualities. That may not be fair, but after all, I'm only human, and we all have our shortcomings. For those brothers and sisters who've chosen this path, let me say this. There is nothing wrong with your personal choice. Any problems I may have with it are mine to deal with. And again, unless your whole body is darned near covered with tats, it's a non-issue. For those of you who are, I'm a work in progress, and hope you can be patient; I still love you, and hope you feel the same!

aww hun. that might be the nicest "i don't really get it, but you go ahead and have tats" speech i've ever heard *hug*

and also, in my head, you sound like Bill Nighy.

I can find tattoos on other people appealing, but I would never get a tattoo. Too many is when you've got your whole body covered (Case in point, rapper Lil Wayne). Chris Brown is quickly approaching too much (not just with tattoos).

How much is too much I think is a hand in hand question with to tat or not to tat.  Very personal and very individual.  For me, any tat is out of the question, I am simply too chicken to volunteer for that many holes to be popped in my skin. I have had my fill of needles! I know it is not the same, but the holes they need to poke in me to monitor the state of my health are more than enough!

That being said, I think there is a big difference between cohesive well designed and executed tats like Sasha's shoulder piece, and the conglomeration of shit a friend of mine has collected. No one tat on his body is more than 5" square and he had at least 60% of his body covered last I saw him in person. They are not in any way related to each other, and some were completely foolish drunken choices, like the name of a girl he had been seeing only a week at the time and broke up with before the tat had finished healing. 

Would I ever advise a person not to get a tat? No. Would I advocate long hard thought before any tat? Hell yes. We are not talking about something you can sell at a yard sale if you get tired of looking at the picture now are we?

• Like 1

In Britain, at least, it's never been a problem with the top and bottom bits of society. Churchill had a tattoo, so did several "recent" monarchs, even the current Prime Minister's wife.  As with much else the problem is in "the middle".  It's the Hyacinth Bucket syndrome :lol:

tumblr_lgcu7lNCab1qzhvrgo1_400.jpg

Personally I have none but they can be very attractive. As others have said it's about quality and, for me, less is often more.

But please - not on the face :)

• Like 2

I have a large one on my left arm that runs from my shoulder to almost about the crook of my arm. I thought out what I wanted for a long time, and spent hours researching good places to get it done. I can say I love it and don't regret it one bit because of the meaning it holds to me, and how well the final product came out. I want to get one or two more but I'm not quite willing to spend the money to get it done right at the moment. Although I'll always put my tattoos in places where they can be easily covered by everyday wear clothes, because like Mark said, there is still a lot of stigma attached to visible tattoos. 

Also, tattoos only look good on guys with a decent build. If you aren't in shape and/or have decent muscle, imo they just don't look good. 

Edited by TetRefine

I really hate those "writing on chest" tattoos that are currently all the rage right now, because they obscure the pecs and I really like a guy's chest.

It's getting really hard though now to find people under 30 who don't have tattoos,  a portion of them going a bit overboard. Zayn Malik from 1D verges on "too much" for me.

Edited by methodwriter85

I really hate those "writing on chest" tattoos that are currently all the rage right now, because they obscure the pecs and I really like a guy's chest.

It's getting really hard though now to find people under 30 who don't have tattoos,  a portion of them going a bit overboard. Zayn Malik from 1D verges on "too much" for me.

Nothing guarantees future regret like getting a fad tattoo. I remember when people got all those Japanese lettering tattoos, and many were not even what they thought they were. 

And you're right about tattoos being popular. In my college gym, guys who don't have some kind of ink on them are actually in the minority now from my observations. 

I worked at a dining hall that was across from the school gym, so I saw lots of college jocks wearing tank tops and gym shorts, and most of them had some kind of ink.

I didn't notice it nearly as much in 2005, when I started college, as opposed to 2011-2012, where it seems really present. The difference is that frat boys usually kept to tattoos that could be easily covered up, because most of them were destined for white-collar jobs. Frat boys in this decade seem much more covered up in tattoos than they were in the mid-2000's.

As for trend tattoos, it's funny because they easily date somebody. Anytime I see a guy with a barbed wire tattoo or a celtic cross, you can guarantee that he got it sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's.