The Undercut Haircut on Guys: Hot Or Not?

methodwriter85

So, this year, the Macklemore Haircut, otherwise known as the undercut, has become pretty popular. Here's an example of the look:

macklemore-undercut-haircut.jpg

The basic idea of the haircut is that the sides are shaved down, the hair is left long on the top, and you usually part the hair on the side, adding hair height through gell.

Do you guys find the haircut hot or not? Here's a fashion article that discusses the trend.

In my cases, I want to try it out, but I think it's a look that works best on guys with long, oval faces and not round faces like mine. I tend to stick with a fade or a Roman Caesar.

It does seem like a pretty popular haircut right now, though.

It seems like a hipster haircut or a model-boy haircut.

It doesn't seem to be a practical look, if you're an office professional or something

However, I say you should go for it. You got all the time in the world to settle into boring haircuts like everyone else. You might as well have fun with your hair while you still have hair. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with Johnathan, I'm afraid. I see it kind of like a wimpy mohawk, to be honest. Like, you haven't got the guts to get a proper 'hawk, so you go for a kind of compromise-thing instead. I prefer sidecuts, and as a general rule I think undercuts like the one above look better on girls. But whenever you take a punky haircut and try to make it mainstream, it ends up looking kind of weak, and you end up looking like a douchebag. The moment the haircut is combined with something a little more edgy, like piercings or a cool dye-job or some tattoos, it's a different matter entirely. :P

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2

I am of the opinion that when it looks good, it really looks good. It's not for everyone but some guys can definitely pull it off.

• Like 1

I guess on some ppl its looks great and some ppl looks bad.

lol, I think I seen this style in old movies ... it makes you think he has a toupee.

I think in some companies or places this hair style is a violation to company policy.

I'm comfortable being bald, but lots of guys aren't. And who knows how many of them regret not trying something new or different while they still had the chance. Go for it! You can always change it if you don't like it.

• Like 1

some ppl are comfortable being bald because they can't grow hair on where it counts

but uncomfortable when people talk about having hair

I'm comfortable being bald, but lots of guys aren't. And who knows how many of them regret not trying something new or different while they still had the chance. Go for it! You can always change it if you don't like it.

Good point.

So question...what is the most regrettable hairstyle any of you have ever had?

In my case...I shaved off all my hair except for my bangs when I was 14...bleached those bangs, and then dyed them red. It looked hideous, but it was fun to do it.

'

no, like TW said, wimpy mohawk. 

on the other hand i saw a guy with a less extreme version of this (the side were about a number 5 and at the back it sort of faded and merged rather than a straight cut off) and that looked rather good. he'd left it floppy on top, and around her we call it a 'public school boy' hair cut.

As for that version at the top of the thread, no no.

I saw a similar cut on a guy who had multiple piercings. On him, it looked great. The guy above? Uh-uh. His head (not face) is too round for the cut.

On another note, guys with a baby face should not try to pull off a stubble beard.

If you want to try it, though, do it while you're young, and can, w/o looking ridiculous.

Edited by rustle

I like it if the guys face lets him pull it off.  I like hair - there are guys who I think are very hot mainly due to their hair, whether it is a great redhead, or someone who's hair is the right shade of brown that it pulls in the sun when they're outdoors.  But then there are many guys who tend to go for very short haircuts that just seems a shame.  At least with this, they get the shortness on the sides that they want, and I get the beauty of seeing great hair that I want  :-)  The pic posted - I think it looks great, and is an example of what I mean by hair that pulls in the sun.

In two/ten years, will we all look back and laugh at this haircut?  Possibly.  But if you like it, go for it.  There is so much variety in haircuts that I don't think for the past couple of decades there really has been a style that defines the generation like previous generations, and that's a good thing.  Maybe because of more information on styles of the past, but I go out and see tons of different styles on a daily basis.

• Like 1

You are only young for a short time, so if you want to try something out-of-the-ordinary you might as well do it then.   I think the guy looks ok, certainly not terrible, and if he was your hottie, would you kick him out of your bed?   I didn't think so....

My point is that I am a lot less judgmental about such things as I have gotten older, and hopefully a little mellower. 

• Like 4