What I Paid for Gas Today

With a .20 / gal. discount based on my grocery shopping, I paid $1.889 / gal. at Kroger's gas station. Lowest in years. Now I've more money to spend on chocolate bars. :*)

This will have a huge impact on the U.S. economy, because the U.S. is a nation of cars, without as much mass transit as Europe.*

*Let's be careful now and not digress into multi-parasite, poly-ticks.

While in Anchorage over Christmas, the price for gas dipped below $3/gal, the lowest it's been in longer than I remember.  My mom used her gas points at a Fred Meyer's and paid just over $2/gal, which she bragged about for days.

The state of Alaska is in a financial crisis, because they agreed to a state budget when oil was going for $150/barrel and now with it plummeting past $50/barrel, they don't know how they're going to pay for that budget.  it's all anyone can talk about at the moment.

Funny when I think back and remember paying 99 cents/gallon in college and now $3/gal seems cheap.  :huh:

• Like 1

I got rid of the car a couple of years ago. In the city you can do that and probably should--voids the need of looking for parking.

I noticed the gas station sign yesterday and it displayed a price of $2.999 for a gallon in Boston. That's down from four dollars and up. An article in the paper suggested that the savings was helping New Englanders pay their electric bills--some of the highest rates in the nation.

• Site Administrator

Without a $0.10 discount, I paid $2.04 a gallon at one of the cheaper stations. I went from so empty my gas light was on to full for $35.55.

Come to the UK and see what ridiculous prices were paying over here, I filled up my mates car the other day and the total cost of a full tank came to £500.

It a big car but still that half a month wages for some people.

Edited by scotty94

I got gas for $2.29 gallon this week in Northern Virginia.  Not too bad. ;)

When we went to the beach over the summer, my kid got excited and pointed out a little old gas station with a sign for $1.09 a gallon.  Then we noticed it was board up and probable closed for 20 years! LOL :P But it was a good catch.  Teenagers don't usually notice things like that. :D

The great thing about the few major cities in America that have good public transportation is not being held hostage to your car and the price of gas. I live a block from a subway stop and there is a bus stop right outside my doorstep. With the crazy traffic and a stop light at every block, its often faster, less aggravating and definitely cheaper to not drive. 

• Like 3

Missouri has some of the cheapest gas in the country.   Our local station had regular for $1.76, but GasBuddy says that the Costco has it for $1.59 for members!

When I was a teenager and first driving, I can remember gas wars and getting gas for less than twenty cents a gallon.

Come to the UK and see what ridiculous prices were paying over here, I filled up my mates car the other day and the total cost of a full tank came to £500.

It a big car but still that half a month wages for some people.

what car does he drive, scotty? assuming fuel is back up at 134.9 (which is a lot higher than reality atm, closer to 120) hes put around 370 litres of fuel in his car?! 

Edited by Never Surrender

what car does he drive, scotty? assuming fuel is back up at 134.9 (which is a lot higher than reality atm, closer to 120) hes put around 370 litres of fuel in his car?! 

I think the Englishman is pulling our legs there, thinking we Yanks don't know that a pound sterling is worth more than a dollar. If he paid 500 pounds, then he must've bought a month's worth of groceries along with the gas. Maybe he just added one too many zeroes. I could almost believe 50 pounds.

I got rid of the car a couple of years ago. In the city you can do that and probably should--voids the need of looking for parking.

I noticed the gas station sign yesterday and it displayed a price of $2.999 for a gallon in Boston. That's down from four dollars and up. An article in the paper suggested that the savings was helping New Englanders pay their electric bills--some of the highest rates in the nation.

I'd love to get rid of my car, but I'd have to get rid of my job then, too. Maybe one day if I relocate somewhere with trains. Like San Francisco. Just need to have the lucky lottery number come up.

Edited by Drak

I think the Englishman is pulling our legs there, thinking we Yanks don't know that a pound sterling is worth more than a dollar. If he paid 500 pounds, then he must've bought a month's worth of groceries along with the gas. Maybe he just added one too many zeroes. I could almost believe 50 pounds.

50 sounds a little closer! Although big 4x4 trucks have hit 80-100 whilst I've been there. Dont forget we work in litres, and our fuel is at a major low of $5.20 per gallon! Life is expensive. Luckily as a Brit myself, I have no difficulties with attempting to understand our odd little nation ;) 500 would have been extraordinary, considering my boss can fill her 18ton HGV lorry for 250!

This will have a huge impact on the U.S. economy, because the U.S. is a nation of cars, without as much mass transit as Europe.

This may have a huge negative impact on the US economy.  If the price of oil keeps falling, extraction operations will cease because the price is below the cost of production...jobs will be lost.  That fracking boom in North Dakota will collapse.

Regular gas is going for as low as $1.789 here.

Talking to some folks today ... Fairbanks dipped below $4 a gallon this past week.  Here in rural Alaska, I filled up the school's six-wheeler side-by-side ATV for $6.50, which is pretty cheap by the standards here.

Almost makes me nostalgic for the days I spent an hour and a half one-way commuting to work via bus and metro....  :blink:

Almost.

Edited by Dark
  • Like 1

Talking to some folks today ... Fairbanks dipped below $4 a gallon this past week.  Here in rural Alaska, I filled up the school's six-wheeler side-by-side ATV for $6.50, which is pretty cheap by the standards here.

Almost makes me nostalgic for the days I spent an hour and a half one-way commuting to work via bus and metro....  :blink:

Almost.

This may have a huge negative impact on the US economy.  If the price of oil keeps falling, extraction operations will cease because the price is below the cost of production...jobs will be lost.  That fracking boom in North Dakota will collapse.

Regular gas is going for as low as $1.789 here.

There are cross-winds...the Northern mid-west suffers, but the rest of the country profits...I know that everyone in my state, including me, has more money in their wallet due to lower prices at the pump. So maybe massive layoffs in the boom towns, the boom states, but otherwise good news for hundreds of millions of Americans and also people around the world who have more money to spend on other things. The stock market likes what it sees, too. U.S. stocks are really outperforming global stocks big time. Not that that impacts me in any major way. :rolleyes:

btw I need to change my nick or something, because Dark and I have awfully similar names. Even down to the cat in our avatar.

Edited by Drak

The great thing about the few major cities in America that have good public transportation is not being held hostage to your car and the price of gas. I live a block from a subway stop and there is a bus stop right outside my doorstep. With the crazy traffic and a stop light at every block, its often faster, less aggravating and definitely cheaper to not drive. 

You're in Philly as well...gas prices are going to be a little higher than usual, and Pennsylvania in general has high gas taxes. That's why so many people will go over to New Jersey to get gas, which is the cheapest.

In Delaware, I paid about $2,29 a gallon.

The last time gas was in the low 2's in Delaware was like 2005.

Edited by methodwriter85

I lived in Washington DC for a few years without a car and it was liberating, for a while.  Still had to buy commuter pass for the Metro and/or Bus plus Marc Train ticket which would add up.  Also, trying to get groceries home in the cold-wet-rainy-snowy-dark was a pain in the ass sometimes, but I do miss drunk Saturday night rides on the Metro! LOL :P

Diesel has dropped a little but not as much.  Been watching the prices on that too and right now at the gas station up the street is $3.35 gallon of diesel.  I have Ford F250 with dual tanks and it can quickly add up. Last time I filled up it was about $125.00 ((which is why it's been sitting in the drive way a lot more than usual :( ))  

• Like 1