' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

Emi, what does 'rived sole mean...?

I think that's where I need your help...

'rived ~ Arrived == I cut it into two syllables(Ar'rived), but I wanted one. Can I use it like that or do I you have any suggestions??? Anybody???

• Like 1

Emi, thank you for your touching words. I appreciate them; and thank you for all of your feedback too :)

Oh!!! Thank You so much Ben... :)

Thank you, Emi, for a lovely set of comments. Reading it again now, I wonder if you (or any one of our Live-Poets) think I should change the tense of the first two lines to match the last two…? Thus:

Like a song that weaves itself into a soul

Like a glance that sets into a mood

these are the abstract thoughts

that express what I feel

Maybe that's a more comfortable read…?

I have to learn what you are trying to say. But the changed one is good too... :)

• Like 1

Ok as I planned I had re-written the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyum style...

You came to me, Love, from a nameless pole,

brought the joy, brought the zeal; never 'rived sole.

Never stopped kissing me, nor to bliss me.

Oh! God's delightful angel; clasp my soul.

What do you think about it guys... :)

Here's a suggestion for you.  

brought the joy, and the zeal; you made me whole
  • Like 3

otta 'likes' but I think the 'whole' clears up things nicely and will let you keep your rhymes :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

Yeah, that would be great help. I am definitely gonna consider... Thanks... :)

otta 'likes' but I think the 'whole' clears up things nicely and will let you keep your rhymes :)

Whatever Big Guy says... :)

• Like 3

Okay, I finally have a poem for AC's Poetry Prompt 4 :)

Write four equal lines of poetry, in regular meter, about preparing your favorite food.

This was actually a challenge because the closest I get to cooking is placing a hot-pocket in the microwave :*) However, I decided to write up a poem based on a looser interpretation of the prompt. What this means is that instead of a poem about preparing pie, it'll be about pi ;) (yes yes, it's cheesy, but do you expect different from the Pi Boy? :P )

So, here goes:

Poetry Prompt 4- Pi Recipe

Around, around, we go,
Across from here to there,
And count the steps for each.
At last, divide these two.

-If y'all need me to clarify on what the lines mean, I'll be happy to :)
  • Like 5

Thank you, Emi, for a lovely set of comments. Reading it again now, I wonder if you (or any one of our Live-Poets) think I should change the tense of the first two lines to match the last two…? Thus:

Like a song that weaves itself into a soul

Like a glance that sets into a mood

these are the abstract thoughts

that express what I feel

Maybe that's a more comfortable read…?

I really like this one, I really liked how you changed the tenses of the first two lines, it flows really nicely! :D

• Like 2

I really like this one, I really liked how you changed the tenses of the first two lines, it flows really nicely! :D

Thank you, Drew!

This was actually a challenge because the closest I get to cooking is placing a hot-pocket in the microwave :*) However, I decided to write up a poem based on a looser interpretation of the prompt. What this means is that instead of a poem about preparing pie, it'll be about pi ;) (yes yes, it's cheesy, but do you expect different from the Pi Boy? :P )

So, here goes:

Around, around, we go,

I'm sure Parker will be over the moon over another math poem! I'll let him explain the lines to us; that could be fun :yes:

• Like 2

So, here goes:

Around, around, we go,

Awesome! Calculating Pi in verse! I am astounded and  :worship:  unworthy! 

The best compliment I can think to pay you is to post your poem with attribution on my classroom door.

Excellent work, Drew! 

• Like 2

Thank you, Drew!

I'm sure Parker will be over the moon over another math poem! I'll let him explain the lines to us; that could be fun :yes:

Translation:

Round and Round we go...the circumference of a circle....

Across from here to there....find the diameter...

and count the steps for each...measure each of these....

At last, divide these two.....find their ratio, which will be pi, or 3.14159, or Drew.

• Like 3

Awesome! Calculating Pi in verse! I am astounded and   :worship:  unworthy! 

The best compliment I can think to pay you is to post your poem with attribution on my classroom door.

Excellent work, Drew! 

I'm flattered you'd want to use my poem :*) Thanks Parker!

Translation:

Across from here to there....find the diameter...

At last, divide these two.....find their ratio, which will be pi, or 3.14159, or Drew.

Yep! :)

Oh, and I love the change you made! I used Around, around, we go and you used Round and round we go. Yours only has five syllables, but if we combined both versions... Around and round we go, it'd work! :D

• Like 2

So, here goes:

Around, around, we go,

Translation:

Across from here to there....find the diameter...

That been a great poem Drew. And I Liked the way you mixed the cooking with math. LoL I was flattered. :lol:

And my first thought was: :rolleyes: Math Geeks... :gikkle: Sorry, I can't resist... But guys, it was Lovely poem and explanation... :)

Edited by The Eminent MGK
  • Like 3

Hey Guys another Tanka written on the unexpected rain two days back. I hope you guys like it. As well as the suggestions are welcome...

Can smell dusty wind,

as the cool breeze sets its mood.

Lightening streaks flash,

as thunders playing the band;

for the rain to rock this world.

How is it???

I agree with Parker. I think it's a great image, and the form is good too. One small note - and I sometimes make the same mistake (just ask Lisa, my editor) - but you want the word to be 'lightning.' Lightening means to make lighter... :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Hey Guys another Tanka written on the unexpected rain two days back. I hope you guys like it. As well as the suggestions are welcome...

Can smell dusty wind,

Lightening streaks flash,

How is it???

Emi.. it is wonderful. Just fix the word lightening as AC pointed out .. but otherwise it is terrific!!!

• Like 2

I like the image of thunder playing in a band! We so often think of it the other way around - the thunder of music and speakers and concert noise. Great idea.

I am glad you liked it. And definitely the lightning and thunders have been a disco for me from my childhood... :lol:

I agree with Parker. I think it's a great image, and the form is good too. One small note - and I sometimes make the same mistake (just ask Lisa, my editor) - but you want the word to be 'lightning.' Lightening means to make lighter... :)

Yeah, I do some times too. Anyway thank you for the observation. Will do it... :)

Emi.. it is wonderful. Just fix the word lightening as AC pointed out .. but otherwise it is terrific!!!

Thank You Tim2... :)

Can smell dusty wind,

Lightning streaks will flash,

Done!!! :unsure:
Edited by The Eminent MGK
  • Like 2