' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

Nice Rubaiyat you have had here for us. Its Nice and creative... :)

But if I am not wrong, Rubaiyat should perform 10 syllables in each line of stanza. You should look at the form once and for expertise help contact Ben(AC Benus)... :)

Emi, in Arabic and Farsi, I believe the line lengths are indeed 10 syllables, but Robert Frost (and others) used the form with a lyric length of 8 beats per line. He did so in his well-known poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. In the poetry prompt for this form I said the poets could choose any line length they like, as long as they're consistent throughout :)     

It's a good comment though!

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

Emi, in Arabic and Farsi, I believe the line lengths are indeed 10 syllables, but Robert Frost (and others) used the form with a lyric length of 8 beats per line. He did so in his well-known poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. In the poetry prompt for this form I said the poets could choose any line length they like, as long as they're consistent throughout :)     

It's a good comment though!

Oops!!! I happen to forgot about the beats. Now I get the actual sense of some poems I had checked.

Thank You Ben, thats why I suggested for expertise advise... :)

• Like 1

Oops!!! I happen to forgot about the beats. Now I get the actual sense of some poems I had checked.

Thank You Ben, thats why I suggested for expertise advise... :)

I like 10 syllables for the rubaiyat personally but that's just me ...

• Like 1

@ Tim: I doubt you're too long winded. You had a wider and broader subject to write about than I did.

@ Emi: My poor abused muse. One day she'll wake up, and I'll write again...

No seriously, i really talk too much and take a long time to say things.. i regularly trip over my trecherous tongue... 

• Like 1

@ Tim: I doubt you're too long winded. You had a wider and broader subject to write about than I did.

@ Emi: My poor abused muse. One day she'll wake up, and I'll write again...

Oh!!! I see... Is Frost your pet!!!??? :unsure: Right!!!

• Like 1

Here is a sonnet I worked on between grading sets of papers. Comments would be welcome, as I am unsure about the middle stanza...

Perhaps I'm something like a geode man;

all grey without and crystallized within.

But I know not what the geologic plan

was metamorphosed here in Adam's sin.

You touch my pebbled skin as if to weigh

the chance of hidden gems or treasure fair.

You will not see my facets hid from day

or yet if salted slime lies waiting there.

Nor you nor I can tell if beauty bright

or twisted nature's horror will surprise,

or yet still worse, a dull and ruined blight

on God's creation here awaits your eyes.

What lies beneath my surface you may know

when I am broken open at a blow.

• Like 5

Here is a sonnet I worked on between grading sets of papers. Comments would be welcome, as I am unsure about the middle stanza...

Since I misread facets for faucet, the salted slime took on an... interesting meaning. LOL

That aside, I think those two words left me a bit 'Huh?' since it went from poetic to reality very suddenly, if you understand what I mean.

I love the image of love cracking a person open to reveal the treasures within. So often we grow from love and suddenly shine brighter than before.

• Like 2

The 'without' definitely makes me stumble, but I guess that was the intention behind choosing the word. The third and fourth line of the first stanza are great. I can see you wanted something ugly and chose 'salted slime' , still...it feels weird. I understand the couplet as a dare. :)

Thanks for the new word: geode 

I'm in a hurry can you tell? lol

• Like 2

@ Puppi - geodes are rocks, which when broken open, may display fantastic crystals. Their geometric structures have many angled faces like a diamond...facets. Faucets! LOL indeed. (LMAO) Anyway, it kind of fit the metaphor.

@Adi - yes, 'salted slime' was odd, but I wanted to find some way of expressing the occasional terrible disappointment one experiences when one opens something rotten - in this instance, a badly formed geode. Or an egg, I suppose.

@both of you - thanks for your comments; I can see some of this works, and some of it is, well...salty...slimy...er....

• Like 2

I have actually seen geodes at our Museum of Natural History. One of my favorite displays (girls and glittery things, you know...). Another image to use to stay in the ground so to speak would be fool's gold, but that is kind of obvious and not as offputting as a rotten egg. A streak of sulphur in the rock...? 

• Like 1

Its a nice sonnet Parker. I kinda got off with the 'blow', sorry for that. :gikkle:

And the line 'nature's horror will surprise' was my fantastic part, even though it sounds corny. As you said some parts are very good, and some salty, slimy but its good. Love just make everything Good... :)

Thank You for sharing with us... :)

• Like 2

Funny ... i was just looking at a recipe for making homemade edible geodes the other day ... 

so this worked for me as it is... even salted slime because at some point the insides were liquid

• Like 2

@Emi...it can be taken darkly or not...and I did wonder about the, um...blow part. Thought I might get some blowback on that.

@Tim...edible geodes? Really? And how does the salted slime work other than as a mineral surprise?

• Like 1

@Emi...it can be taken darkly or not...and I did wonder about the, um...blow part. Thought I might get some blowback on that.

@Tim...edible geodes? Really? And how does the salted slime work other than as a mineral surprise?

• Like 3

It's a strong concept for a Sonnet, and I think you've handled it successfully.

In the first quatrain, I was a bit hampered by the phrase 'know not what the geologic plan… .' Did you consider it as 'know not how the geologic plan was metamorphosed here in Adam's sin' ? That might be a bit smoother to read, and not change the meaning.

With the 'salted slime,' I see lots of folks noted that, and it's good to know I'm not alone. To be honest, when I read it – as in cracking open a hollow stone – my mind instantly went to different phenomena completely. This one, in fact: http://paranormal.about.com/od/earthmysteries/a/aa011704.htm

It would be like finding a prince or a toad inside of the soul of you.

Great poem; look forward to seeing more of your Sonnets!         

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

Yes, I see that how works far better than what.  That I should miss such a thing...augh.  Salted slime just stood in for some nasty geological surprise...I'm a little troubled I couldn't think of something better...

• Like 1