2016 Summer Anthology: Wicked Games ~ Discussion

• Site Administrator

You could do both :D

Renee beat me to it!  Definitely do both :D 

I don't have any ideas for this one yet, but I have a ton for the Special Anthology.  I just hope I can get them all written!

Hmm...just had a thought.  One of my ideas for the Special Antho would probably work for this one.  I'll have to give it some thought!

• Like 2

I have two stories ideas for this anthology, but I don't know which to pick. What should it be, a murder or a betrayal? In either case, it's about the Wicked Games we play.

:o Matt You grabbed My thoughts exactly the way I was thinking. Now do I have think for other ideas!!!??? :unsure:

Edited by The Eminent MGK

:o Matt You grabbed My thoughts exactly the way I was thinking. Now do I have think for another genre or theme!!!??? :unsure:

Not sure what you mean by another genre or another theme... Anything you enter in the anthology would have to fit the "Wicked Games" theme.

Not sure what you mean by another genre or another theme... Anything you enter in the anthology would have to fit the "Wicked Games" theme.

:o Matt You grabbed My thoughts exactly the way I was thinking. Now do I have think for other ideas!!!??? :unsure:

:facepalm: Sorry My bad!!! :blushing:

:facepalm: Sorry My bad!!! :blushing:

For once I might have an idea for an Anthology. I've started writing a stand-alone story featuring the imp and the angel who occasionally pop into Patrick's head in my story The Cardmaker and the Caretaker. It won't be necessary to read that story first, but the short story may be more fun for those who know Patrick. Is this acceptable re the guidelines?

• Like 1

For once I might have an idea for an Anthology. I've started writing a stand-alone story featuring the imp and the angel who occasionally pop into Patrick's head in my story The Cardmaker and the Caretaker. It won't be necessary to read that story first, but the short story may be more fun for those who know Patrick. Is this acceptable re the guidelines?

Yep, I think it will. I used characters from RRS for my last series. And I'm waiting for you to finish The Cardmaker and the Caretaker, so any chance I'll get to read it before the summer antho goes live?

Yep, I think it will. I used characters from RRS for my last series. And I'm waiting for you to finish The Cardmaker and the Caretaker, so any chance I'll get to read it before the summer antho goes live?

Thanks, Adi. I'll give it a try. Nope, I don't think the main story will be ended by then. I shall have to be very careful not to include any spoilers. Thanks for making me aware of that.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Site Administrator

Like Addy said, as long as it can be read as a stand alone piece it should be fine.  I've done serials for the antho before and each one can be read on their own. 

Like Addy said, as long as it can be read as a stand alone piece it should be fine.  I've done serials for the antho before and each one can be read on their own. 

What they said. As long as it is considered a stand-a-lone piece then it's fine. If it requires reading the previous one to understand what's going on, then it isn't considered a stand-a-lone and therefore wouldn't be acceptable.

Serial anthology stories inevitably require a reread of at least the prior one for me. I've come to dislike those types of anthology stories in a huge way. When I come across them, I don't read them anymore. Partly, this is in reaction to those stories that go months between updates, and as a reader of many and varied works I can't be bothered to play catchup anymore. Those authors who like to stretch what is essentially a short story—perhaps even a longer story well worthy of four chapters—over the course of a whole year, should not be surprised if they lose readers. I'm well aware that doing a serial through the anthologies requires a certain amount of creativity, but if an author can summon up enough creative juices to do a serial anthology story, then a standalone work with unique characters and circumstances shouldn't be a difficult proposition. Even if that means not having an entry in every anthology. I am stating a personal preference here but it is also quite possible that I am not the only one who looks at the anthology series in the same way. Anyway, this is food for thought. You don't have to agree with me but I believe it's worth an author's consideration, if nothing else.

Edited to replace an auto-corrected misuse of a word.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Serial anthology stories inevitably require a reread of at least the prior one for me. I've come to dislike those types of anthology stories in a huge way. When I come across them, I don't read them anymore. Partly, this is in reaction to those stories that go months between updates, and as a reader of many and varied works I can't be bothered to play catchup anymore. Those authors who like to stretch what is essentially a short story—perhaps even a longer story well worthy of four chapters—over the course of a whole year, should not be surprised if they lose readers. I'm well aware that doing a serial through the anthologies requires a certain amount of creativity, but if an author can summon up enough creative juices to do a serial anthology story, then a standalone work with unique characters and circumstances shouldn't be a difficult proposition. Even if that means not having an entry in every anthology. I am stating a personal preference here but it is also quite possible that I am not the only one who looks at the anthology series in the same way. Anyway, this is food for thought. You don't have to agree with me but I believe it's worth an author's consideration, if nothing else.

Edited to replace an auto-corrected misuse of a word.

I can understand that you don't want to 'play catch-up', but you could always read the series after they are finished, as I do with almost every story anyway. They can easily be found under the series name to read in one go. And because they have to be stand-alone pieces, you don't need to read all of them.  IMHO you're missing out some great stories following your personal preference.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I decided to get rid of the Patrick connection, the story is more fun without. Now I'm looking at the guidelines and I have three questions.

Title, original editor, genre, synopsis, word count, and excerpt

Original editor - I have two, I can list them both right? and what about beta readers, should we list those as well?

What is excerpt?

Edited by Timothy M.

I decided to get rid of the Patrick connection, the story is more fun without. Now I'm looking at the guidelines and I have three questions.

Title, original editor, genre, synopsis, word count, and excerpt

Original editor - I have two, I can list them both right? and what about beta readers, should we list those as well?

What is excerpt?

You can list all the members of the team. The excerpt is the first couple hundred words or so of your story to give the proof team members an idea of your writing style. All of the info is to help pair you with the best proof team member to fit your story.

• Like 1

You can list all the members of the team. The excerpt is the first couple hundred words or so of your story to give the proof team members an idea of your writing style. All of the info is to help pair you with the best proof team member to fit your story.

Thanks Renee, and now I'm wondering what the synopsis is? Well, I know what it is normally. Should I be finding this info somewhere rather than asking here?

Thanks Renee, and now I'm wondering what the synopsis is? Well, I know what it is normally. Should I be finding this info somewhere rather than asking here?

Essentially it's just the same description that you'd put into GA stories.

• Like 1

I had an idea of a gay man who often dated or tried having one-night stands with straight men. This was his game, but someone was charmed enough to try to draw him away from it.

I have no clue how to pull that off though and I could use some help with that. O__O

Edited by thecalimack
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I had an idea of a gay man who often dated or tried having one-night stands with straight men. This was his game, but someone was charmed enough to try to draw him away from it.

I have no clue how to pull that off though and I could use some help with that. O__O

Post in the writing support requests forum for a beta reader.  I'm sure you will find someone who can help you out.  :)

• 2 weeks later...