Door #11 reminded me of the time my dad, my aunt and uncle and I were sorting through the accumulated wealth in my grandmother's house after she passed away. What sticks in my mind the most is the discovery of a box of old family photos tucked away in a box on the closet shelf in the back bedroom. 

One of the photos was of my grandfather's youngest brother. It taken in 1918 and most of the backing was tissue paper thin or gone altogether. No matter, the picture was clear showing him as stood tall and proud in his military dress uniform.

The other thing we found out from going through the photos was that our family name had changed. Handwritten on the back of one of the photos was a name that was a lot longer and it even started with a different letter. Being that he was from Eastern Europe, we think it was changed when my grandfather emigrated to Canada because his real name was to onerous to spell or pronounce. Hmm, I wonder as it suddenly trips of my mind's tongue so easily as I type this....

This is one of the delicious fond memories we wanted to invoke. Thank you for sharing with us. 

• Like 2

I forgot to mention another story about photographs.

A friend of mine had a baby and she had three pictures that were professionally taken of baby Alexandra. I wanted to show off my then-new laptop and USB-powered scanner, so I scanned the photos at her house without plugging in for power. (She and her husband didn't seem to have noticed – they weren't techie-type people. I was kind of disappointed.)

I went home and created a relatively crude collage out of the three images and printed two copies. I put them in frameless frames and went back to see my friends. Her parents and his mother were there visiting and I gave her the two framed prints to give to their parents. She insisted I present them myself. The three grandparents were thrilled and couldn't stop thanking me.

I was so embarrassed! I hadn't really done anything. I just played around with stuff I had and gave them what I came up with!

The sad part was that my friend died about a decade ago of a very fast progressing cancer at a young age, leaving her sexy husband with two small children. When I looked up her name, I realized Alexandra is now 16 and her younger brother is 14!

The funny thing about Alexandra is that almost 17 years ago, I made a joke about my friend being pregnant. It was during a Christmas Eve family dinner with her father and older brother (her mom was in Mexico taking care of a sick relative and I had just stopped by to drop off a gift). When I was leaving, she walked me out and demanded to know how I knew! I didn't know! I had just been teasing her because I had thought she and her husband didn't want to have kids. I didn't know they'd been trying for more than a decade and had almost split up over the issue!

They had only known she was pregnant for a short time and were waiting to tell their families because they were afraid she'd miscarry (again). They thought I was going to spoil the surprise!

Edited by Former Member

The cookie recipe is now complete. Sorry.

Honey Ginger Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup white sugar

1 cup shortening

1 cup honey

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

In a saucepan over low heat, melt together sugar, shortening and honey. Let cool.

Mix together eggs, vanilla, baking soda and ginger. Gradually add to cooled honey mixture.

Slowly add 4 cups of flour to mixture. Stir until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) until golden (about 12-15 minutes).

• Like 3

Finally ... did some major binge reading last night and am caught up.  However, my tree isn't finished, no fudge has been made, not a cookie or mince pie. When is Christmas?  Oh not a gift either... nuthing nada. 

I think I'm in a spot of trouble.   When is Christmas?  

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Finally ... did some major binge reading last night and am caught up.  However, my tree isn't finished, no fudge has been made, not a cookie or mince pie. When is Christmas?  Oh not a gift either... nuthing nada. 

I think I'm in a spot of trouble.   When is Christmas?  

What are you waiting for... Christmas?  :gikkle:  

One of my favorite childhood memories is making fudge with my grandpa when I was a little kid.  It wasn't really a Christmas tradition, but when my brother and I would spend the night at my grandparents we would make fudge, watch "The Carol Burnett Show" and "Hee Haw", have liverwurst sandwiches for lunch, and pancakes for breakfast.  My grandpa made the best pancakes.  They were always so crispy around the edges.  Sigh.  Those were some great times. 

• Like 1

What are you waiting for... Christmas?   :gikkle:

One of my favorite childhood memories is making fudge with my grandpa when I was a little kid.  It wasn't really a Christmas tradition, but when my brother and I would spend the night at my grandparents we would make fudge, watch "The Carol Burnett Show" and "Hee Haw", have liverwurst sandwiches for lunch, and pancakes for breakfast.  My grandpa made the best pancakes.  They were always so crispy around the edges.  Sigh.  Those were some great times. 

Oh yeah, you just yuck it up over there, Val!!  

Mike went out yesterday with a list of ingredients for fudge cuz I need about 6 pounds. He came back with everything except the hard margerine I need.  Really dearest husband???  Argh. 

Going to make chocolate drops, oatmeal lemon cranberry drops, amaretti and meringues ... those are for gifts, as is the fudge. 

If i make that stuff too early, Thing One and Thing Two will eat them all.   Oh no, really, they will. 

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Oh yeah, you just yuck it up over there, Val!!  

Mike went out yesterday with a list of ingredients for fudge cuz I need about 6 pounds. He came back with everything except the hard margerine I need.  Really dearest husband???  Argh. 

Going to make chocolate drops, oatmeal lemon cranberry drops, amaretti and meringues ... those are for gifts, as is the fudge. 

If i make that stuff too early, Thing One and Thing Two will eat them all.   Oh no, really, they will. 

My BFF sent me a giant package of homemade cookies a couple of years ago as my Christmas gift.  She also sent me bags of popcorn with different flavorings--chocolate drizzled and such that she had also made.  She's a great cook so they didn't last long at all... lol  Getting homemade gifts is so special.  It really shows how much the other person cares.  :hug:  

I can't keep any sweets in the house or else I'll eat them all myself in one go... although I'm lot better than I used to be.  There's been chocolate in the house for a couple of weeks now that I bought as gifts.  I managed to have enough self-control to not dip into them and have to make another trip to the chocolate store.  ;)  lol Probably because chocolate aggravates my heartburn and it's not worth the discomfort.  

My BFF sent me a giant package of homemade cookies a couple of years ago as my Christmas gift.  She also sent me bags of popcorn with different flavorings--chocolate drizzled and such that she had also made.  She's a great cook so they didn't last long at all... lol  Getting homemade gifts is so special.  It really shows how much the other person cares.   :hug:

I can't keep any sweets in the house or else I'll eat them all myself in one go... although I'm lot better than I used to be.  There's been chocolate in the house for a couple of weeks now that I bought as gifts.  I managed to have enough self-control to not dip into them and have to make another trip to the chocolate store.   ;)  lol Probably because chocolate aggravates my heartburn and it's not worth the discomfort.  

Gotta love heartburn. I still get it. I was hoping after surgery I wouldn't but seems I need to watch it, fat and especially the fat/sugar combo are troublesome.  So, i have to watch meat, and sweets, and pizza (even ordered it 'easy on the cheese') But oh well. 

Michael (thing one) and Peter (thing two) ate a whole box of Quality Street candy last night.  They are like a plague of locusts those two. All the men in that family are!!

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Gotta love heartburn. I still get it. I was hoping after surgery I wouldn't but seems I need to watch it, fat and especially the fat/sugar combo are troublesome.  So, i have to watch meat, and sweets, and pizza (even ordered it 'easy on the cheese') But oh well. 

Michael (thing one) and Peter (thing two) ate a whole box of Quality Street candy last night.  They are like a plague of locusts those two. All the men in that family are!!

I've had GERD for as long as I can remember.  I usually do well by managing my diet.  Fats don't bother me, but chocolate, acidic foods, garlic, peppermint, onions, peppers... basically anything with flavor does. I eat dinner quite early and won't eat past 8:00.  I didn't notice any difference after my gallbladder was removed.  It was just nice being able to eat without being in pain!  

Plague of locusts... :gikkle:  I'd say find a good hiding spot, but my guess would be they're probably pretty good at sniffing out where it is.  lol 

I've had GERD for as long as I can remember.  I usually do well by managing my diet.  Fats don't bother me, but chocolate, acidic foods, garlic, peppermint, onions, peppers... basically anything with flavor does. I eat dinner quite early and won't eat past 8:00.  I didn't notice any difference after my gallbladder was removed.  It was just nice being able to eat without being in pain!  

Plague of locusts... :gikkle:  I'd say find a good hiding spot, but my guess would be they're probably pretty good at sniffing out where it is.  lol

Don't mind if they eat things, but does it have to be all at once?  I'd have one or two a day.. that sized box would last for a few weeks. 

We try to eat early and I dont after 8pm either.  Toast and butter gave me terrible heartburn, but now that I dont put fats on it, I'm fine.  It's funny but i found after cutting down on those two.. fat and sugar, I don't crave things and only want to eat when I'm hungry.  I've turned into a grazer and eat small amounts often. 

Michael bought me unsalted nuts (cant have salt either) because I've lost weight .. i'm waaay too thin now. 

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

What are you waiting for... Christmas?   :gikkle:

The Carol Burnett Show and Hee Haw...I loved both of those shows. I had a crush on Buck and remember Granny who always wore a hat with the price tag hanging from the brim? I could go on and on...thanks for the memories Val. :hug:

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

The Carol Burnett Show and Hee Haw...I loved both of those shows. I had a crush on Buck and remember Granny who always wore a hat with the price tag hanging from the brim? I could go on and on...thanks for the memories Val. :hug:

Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, and Vicki Lawrence were all comedic geniuses.  Glad I brought back some good memories. :):hug: 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, and Vicki Lawrence were all comedic geniuses.  Glad I brought back some good memories. :):hug:

Bonnie Hunt had a talk show for a few years and one time she had Carol Burnett on as a guest. It was Carol's birthday that day if I remember correctly. Anyway, to celebrate and pay homage to Carol they had six young girls come out on stage dressed as the characters she portrayed on her show. To say Carol appreciated the gesture would be an understatement. I think she even cried...

• Like 2

Just how big is that box ... better take those two big boys to the dentist ...

:lol:

• Like 1

Bonnie Hunt had a talk show for a few years and one time she had Carol Burnett on as a guest. It was Carol's birthday that day if I remember correctly. Anyway, to celebrate and pay homage to Carol they had six young girls come out on stage dressed as the characters she portrayed on her show. To say Carol appreciated the gesture would be an understatement. I think she even cried...

Were any of them wearing a curtain with a curtain rod still attached?  ;-)

Just how big is that box ... better take those two big boys to the dentist ...

:lol:

750 grams.. not too big but still... too much chocolate for two people in an hour. 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

When I first read this, I was picturing the Quality Street tin...which is a lot of chocolate. I hope you really did mean box because I would think a whole tin would put them on the verge of a sugar coma. Good thing they're big guys, eh? 

• Like 1

When I first read this, I was picturing the Quality Street tin...which is a lot of chocolate. I hope you really did mean box because I would think a whole tin would put them on the verge of a sugar coma. Good thing they're big guys, eh? 

Was  the tin on sale at Metro for 11.99 this week. I had four, they ate the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Were any of them wearing a curtain with a curtain rod still attached?  ;-)

Found a video someone had posted to Youtube. One of the is wearing a showing cap, but I didn't see a shower curtain...