I have no comment on Door #19. It is completely out of my experience.

I have never had even a drop of alcohol except in food. I have never liked the smell stench of beer. And have never been tempted to try drinking any other form of alcohol. I am risk-averse and am afraid of losing control, so I've never done drugs either. I even try to avoid using over-the-counter drugs as much as possible. (I hate the smell of tobacco and marijuana smoke too.)

But before you think I'm a Mormon or something, my drug of choice is sugar (and caffeine in the form of soda – I don't like the smell of coffee either).  ;-)

Christmas cookies are the nearest thing to a unique holiday food. There were many things traditionally served at the holiday but we ate them year round.

In Pennsylvania Dutch country where I am from we eat pork and sauerkraut for luck on New Years. In the SC Lowcountry where my mum lives it is Hoppin'John and collard greens. Amusingly, mum makes the pork and sauerkraut for her neighbors and I make the Hoppin' John and collards for myself in PA.

• Like 3

The main tradition here is to eat a special kind of rice pudding. In the old days it would be the hot version: risengrød with butter and cinnamon sugar - see this calender story from Danish television. This would be a filling start, before you moved on to the expensive meat and other parts of the traditional Christmas dinner - which of course is served on Christmas Eve (Juleaften).

Today most people have the cold version as dessert: risalamande which is made of rice boiled with milk, cooled down. Then whipped cream, vanilla sugar and chopped almonds are added. Served with warm cherry sauce. One almond is left whole and the sport is to get the whole almond and the gift: mandelgave.

And of course there is a SATW comic about risalamande. :rofl:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 5
  • Site Administrator

I have a couple sets of Christmas socks ... they're much more fun than sweaters.

I have quite a few Christmas socks. My mom likes to buy me ones with cats on them. lol 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

In the past, when Christmas and/or Christmas Eve fall on a weekend, we've gotten the Friday and Monday off as our holiday at work.  Well, this year they decided that since it fell on the weekend that we would remain open.  So today should really be a day off for everyone, but we're here working.  I did take Mon-Wed off next week, but I had to use my own personal time for it instead of holiday time.  It's hard to be upset about though, seeing everyone dressed in their pajamas (today is pajama day :gikkle: ) and wearing Christmas hats or reindeer antler headbands.  There is Christmas music blaring and off-key singing accompanying it.  A staff member brought in donuts and coffee and there are intermittent squeals of delight as presents are exchanged.  So instead of being a humbug, I am listening to everyone's Christmas plans and making Christmas ornaments with my individuals during therapy today.  My stupervisor gave me a bottle of wine and some chocolates as a gift.  I think she knows we need alcohol to deal with her sometimes... :gikkle:  So overall, not a bad day. (For those who don't know, I work with adults with developmental disabilities)

• Like 4

I worked a full shift today, while we watched other departments leave at noon! Grrrr! I'm off now until January 3rd. We get Monday off -boxing day, Tuesday because Christmas was on Sunday. Then Monday January 2nd as new years is on the Sunday. The rest is my vacation.

• Like 2

Just remember that when you're enjoying the convenience of shopping in brick & mortar stores at improbable hours that it means the low-wage employees have been coerced into being there because they can't really say no to a paying job. And avoid using self-help checkout lines because that's an attempt by the store to avoid hiring additional employees. Please remember to be polite to the already very stressed person on the other side of the counter. A smile goes a long way!

Secular Saturnalia Salutations, everybody!

• Site Administrator

I will do the weekly author reveal tomorrow, to give people a chance to read today's door.  Or Monday, depending on what time I head over to my cousin's tomorrow.  Thank you to all who read, reviewed, liked, and commented in the thread.  Reading everyone's thoughts, traditions, and memories has really made my season.  :hug:  

• Like 4

I will do the weekly author reveal tomorrow, to give people a chance to read today's door.  Or Monday, depending on what time I head over to my cousin's tomorrow.  Thank you to all who read, reviewed, liked, and commented in the thread.  Reading everyone's thoughts, traditions, and memories has really made my season.  :hug:

Your calendar brought people together, made it about community and sharing. ..that's what Christmas is, isn't it?

• Like 5