(Re: Puppilull's picture of a star)

Is that paper (or cloth)?

At first I thought those were candles in some sort of pyramidal display. Then I realized those are mini-blinds and the 'candles' are more likely to be streetlights outside an apartment or office building!

Edited by Former Member

It's paper and a fairly simple one. We have another in metal (bronze colored I guess). They come in all colors now. When I grew up, they were almost always red or orange (for some reason).

And yes, it's an office building contributing to the festive spirit...!

(Re: Puppilull's picture of a star)

Is that paper (or cloth)?

At first I thought those were candles in some sort of pyramidal display. Then I realized those are mini-blinds and the 'candles' are more likely to be streetlights outside an apartment or office building!

• Like 1

Well, the Germanic Vandal tribe (who inspired the lower-case usage of the name) were originally from Scandinavia before they started wandering around Europe and ended up in North Africa. The later Vikings also had a reputation for destruction!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member
  • Site Administrator

While I'm a total chocoholic, I would totally buy one of these!  I love cheese just as much as I love chocolate!  lol 

http://www.boredpanda.com/cheese-advent-calendar-sowrongitsnom/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=BPFacebook

First: to Adi, Val and Cole, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this project. If every door has something as wonderful as The Sweater, it will be a wonderful Advent indeed. Second, I can only hazard a guess as to the author of that magnificent short story. I guess Adi, but I know I only have a 33% chance of being right. Third, thank you for prompting so many to share traditions. Like Puppi, my Swedish star is up, shining on my front porch.

Many, many thanks.

• Like 4

Since I can't add to what I said in my review of The Sweater, I'll put it here.

When my mother died (in April, more than a decade ago), it cast a pall over the rest of the year. We didn't really celebrate anybody's birthday (by that point, it was mostly just my niece's and nephew's birthdays). Even Christmas was very subdued.

Birthday gatherings became more erratic and eventually stopped happening (my youngest niece is now 18 anyway).

These days, it seems less important to my brothers that they join the rest of us for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I've become more an auxiliary of my favorite Aunt's family for the holidays.

My mother was the conveyer of family news, so even as her memory started to fade before she was diagnosed with a brain tumor, we lost a vital thread keeping the family together. My father forgot to mention to me for several months that his brother-in-law had died. I have no sisters, and my younger brother isn't the best at keeping me informed, but my older brother is worse.

My older brother never sent me a picture of his first granddaughter, my younger brother did! But he did send me one of his second granddaughter.

I have a dysfunctional family.

• Site Administrator

Since I can't add to what I said in my review of The Sweater, I'll put it here.

When my mother died (in April, more than a decade ago), it cast a pall over the rest of the year. We didn't really celebrate anybody's birthday (by that point, it was mostly just my niece's and nephew's birthdays). Even Christmas was very subdued.

Birthday gatherings became more erratic and eventually stopped happening (my youngest niece is now 18 anyway).

These days, it seems less important to my brothers that they join the rest of us for Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I've become more an auxiliary of my favorite Aunt's family for the holidays.

My mother was the conveyer of family news, so even as her memory started to fade before she was diagnosed with a brain tumor, we lost a vital thread keeping the family together. My father forgot to mention to me for several months that his brother-in-law had died. I have no sisters, and my younger brother isn't the best at keeping me informed, but my older brother is worse.

My older brother never sent me a picture of his first granddaughter, my younger brother did! But he did send me one of his second granddaughter.

I have a dysfunctional family.

I can relate to a lot of what you're experiencing.  My family fell apart a few years ago and as a result a lot of traditions have fallen by the wayside.  I've had to come to terms with the loss of a lot of holiday experiences--like making Christmas cookies as family, exchanging gifts with my brother on Christmas eve, and having Thanksgiving with one branch of my family, in addition to the loss of several family members over the past few years.  One member of that branch really showed her true colors after her mother passed, and is now estranged, so that means a new set of traditions are being formed.  Sometimes it's hard to keep a positive outlook when there's a lot of loss and also seeing others meet milestones I never will.  I have to say that this project really helped me to focus more on the positive and what I have vs. what I don't have, so I am eternally grateful to Adi and Cole for that. :)

• Like 1

I'll keep flooding you with Swedish traditions...

gallery_22891_1489_384157.jpg

The kids going at it, baking ginger snaps in traditional shapes (people, pigs, goats, cats, horses and of course hearts).

Although, the minute after they started freeforming and started doing butts...

• Like 5

The kids going at it, baking ginger snaps in traditional shapes (people, pigs, goats, cats, horses and of course hearts).

Although, the minute after they started freeforming and started doing butts...

I'm going to bake cookies with my niece and nephews soon. We never form butts... 0:)

• Like 4

gallery_22891_1489_384157.jpg

And I see the notorious goat right there in the middle of the picture!