1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

I’m thinking he’d act offended and upset, but secretly enjoy being touched.  ;-)

Hmm ... not so sure about that ... Think of the barriers he's constructed against the world - they're not suddenly going to collapse at a touch.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, northie said:

Hmm ... not so sure about that ... Think of the barriers he's constructed against the world - they're not suddenly going to collapse at a touch.

But there’s a natural human need to touch and be touched by others. I’m sure it’s related to the grooming behavior of our very close genetic relatives, bonobos, chimpanzees, and gorillas. Eric might not be conscious of that need, but deep down inside he would find comfort in it. His barriers would prevent him from acknowledging that he likes it though.  ;-)

I believe touch is a requirement for human development. Here in the US most hospitals that have infant ICU departments also have programs with volunteers that come in to hold and cuddle premature infants.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 31/03/2018 at 11:14 PM, droughtquake said:

But there’s a natural human need to touch and be touched by others. I’m sure it’s related to the grooming behavior of our very close genetic relatives, bonobos, chimpanzees, and gorillas. Eric might not be conscious of that need, but deep down inside he would find comfort in it. His barriers would prevent him from acknowledging that he likes it though.  ;-)

On 01/04/2018 at 1:32 PM, dughlas said:

I believe touch is a requirement for human development. Here in the US most hospitals that have infant ICU departments also have programs with volunteers that come in to hold and cuddle premature infants.

Interesting ... coming from a family where touch was pretty much non-existent, it's never seemed that important. Perhaps less so now, but the English have always been pretty good at putting up barriers. Touch is just one of them for Eric.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, northie said:

Interesting ... coming from a family where touch was pretty much non-existent, it's never seemed that important. Perhaps less so now, but the English have always been pretty good at putting up barriers. Touch is just one of them for Eric.

Many East Asian (and Scandinavian) cultures are not very big on touching and hugs either. Hugs were something we did as children, but stopped as we grew up – part of that is due to US masculine culture too (crying isn’t the only thing boys and men aren’t supposed to do). But in my family, hugs returned when I had nieces and nephews – and they spread between the adults too. My elderly (Lesbian?) Aunt is still surprised when we give her hugs.  ;-)

Just finished the first draft of my antho story. Once that's out the way, then I'll be back to writing the second volume of Eric. I'm looking forward to it.  :)  Having people discuss Eric and his situation has been really good for my imagination and the future story line. First though, I've got to write up the antho story and get it to my editor. I'll be late replying to those comments on the latest chapter I haven't already done. Sorry, but my editor needs the story by Monday. I'll try to fit the odd one in, but for once, I need to be focussed.  :rolleyes:  

Next chapter of Eric will be the halfway point.  :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Most likely 'cause I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, I'm slightly confused by Eric's living arrangements. Is it a place within the estate he used to work for or owned by it? Does he live there for free for the rest of his life?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Most likely 'cause I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, I'm slightly confused by Eric's living arrangements. Is it a place within the estate he used to work for or owned by it? Does he live there for free for the rest of his life?

No, he's living on the outskirts of the same town Adam and Andy live in. As we learn in chapter 6, the cottage is still owned by the estate, but my assumption is that Eric pays a market rent. Perhaps he was helped to find the cottage once he retired? Tied accommodation is usually lost once the resident leaves the job. Hope that helps ... 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Are we back on the same schedule? :)

Yes, the time without any competition was far too short.  :huh::P

I bow to your superior draw factor.  :funny:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
24 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Superior draw factor my butt! I started posting CJ January 2015. After 3 years some readers are just used to a Friday fix.

Yes, yes we are. Still makes me smile when a new chapter of Never too Late posts.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

With today's episode, we will be halfway through this volume of Eric's story. I may be more slower than usual replying to comments as I'm first getting ready for going on holiday (today), and travelling / driving tomorrow. I will get to the comments eventually.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And wouldn’t the truants have been more scared if Andy had taken a picture of them, again using his mobile, with their paint can and cider? 

I assumed Andy would start taking pictures of them, but perhaps that would have sparked an attack.

Going back to it being a small town, the local high school probably has 500 pupils? Something like that, so it's not going to be that difficult for the school to work out who they are. I might be exaggerating in what I say next ... It's not a criminal situation - trespass without aggravating features is a civil matter, the underage alcohol is more a matter of pursuing those who sold or obtained it for them. So, Andy taking photos of underage children he has no relation to, could be seen as something suspicious on his part. It might certainly be used against him by the children's parents. It's not even his property. Hmm ... As for an attack? I don't think so. They're young teenagers and we're not in inner-city London, Manchester or Birmingham. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 23/4/2018 at 12:28 AM, northie said:

Going back to it being a small town, the local high school probably has 500 pupils? Something like that, so it's not going to be that difficult for the school to work out who they are. 

Well, if they don't need photos to ID the teens, Andy's reaction makes more sense. Also explains how he knew what school to call, if there's only one. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, northie said:

Latest chapter (9) now published. Best of luck in trying to read it in the midst of the continuing denial of service problems.  :/

If I didn't keep my hair so short I'd be pulling it out in chunks. Trying to reply to comments on my latest chapter's been frustrating to say the least. 😒

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I published the chapter an hour later than usual because of the lag problems. I'll try answering the comments tomorrow morning when hopefully the lag will be less ... 

• Like 2

Chapter 4 of the second part of Eric's story is nearly complete, with ideas bubbling away for the next two chapters as well.  Progress! :yes:  😄

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 11:29 PM, droughtquake said:

As long as he doesn’t meet @Dabeagle's bartender from You Don’t Know Me!  ;–)

I read so little, this passes me by entirely ...  :rolleyes:

Anyway, chapter 4's complete, 5 is more than halfway through, and 6 and 7 are brewing. At the risk of inviting writer's block, I'd say i was on a roll. Oh, and I've referenced one of your suggestion's, drought, though I'm not telling you which one.  :funny:  Not sure if it will go anywhere ... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, northie said:

Anyway, chapter 4's complete, 5 is more than halfway through, and 6 and 7 are brewing. At the risk of inviting writer's block, I'd say i was on a roll. Oh, and I've referenced one of your suggestion's, drought, though I'm not telling you which one.  :funny:  Not sure if it will go anywhere ... 

Don't feel bad. That reference went right over my head too! :huh:

Edited by Carlos Hazday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, northie said:

His protagonist experiences a body shift and his memories and consciousness end up in a new, teenaged body with the assistance of a bartender.  ;–)

3 hours ago, northie said:

Oh, and I've referenced one of your suggestion's, drought, though I'm not telling you which one.  :funny:

Well that’s no fair! I’ve made so many speculations and suggestions. But mostly as if Eric were a real person who I was trying to assist!  ;–)

8 hours ago, droughtquake said:

But mostly as if Eric were a real person who I was trying to assist!  ;–)

Which is why your thoughts are so helpful.  :yes:. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1