20 hours ago, northie said:

The chapter made it. Only another two (possibly 3) before this book is wrapped up.  :)

I'm glad we got another chapter, but sad about the end being close. However, I assume you'll need another book to deal with the unsolved issues, such as Joy and the-one-who-shall-remain-unmentioned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

but sad about the end being close

Yep, I know, but the author is getting somewhat fed up of the relentlessness of it. The third and concluding volume won't start until 2020. I'm giving myself the summer and autumn off. Batteries need recharging.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, northie said:

Yep, I know, but the author is getting somewhat fed up of the relentlessness of it. The third and concluding volume won't start until 2020. I'm giving myself the summer and autumn off. Batteries need recharging.

I’m sure writing two stories concurrently doesn’t help with the ‘relentlessness.’
;–)

3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’m sure writing two stories concurrently doesn’t help with the ‘relentlessness.’
;–)

Oh, and don't forget the antho story, all 12K words of it. The last few weeks have been pretty busy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

'Proper' chapter tomorrow.  ;)  The one before was somewhat lightweight...  I think only one more to go - the plan is to let it run its course so it may be longer than usual. I know where I want to end up and the main points in between, it's just going to be question of how long it takes to include everything. :unsure2:  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Although the chapter's going well, it won't be ready for this Friday. Ten days' time hopefully. I want to make it a fitting conclusion... ;) 

• Sad 2

3.5k words into the last chapter. Probably heading towards 4.5k for an eventful chapter I hope you'll enjoy, as it ties up some ends and leaves others. It should post on Friday; if not, it''ll be as soon as possible thereafter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

I hope there’s no major cliffhanger!

Hmm... I've got to give you a reason to come back.  ;)  Just sent the gargantuan final chapter off to Parker. We'll see what he thinks.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
36 minutes ago, northie said:

Hmm... I've got to give you a reason to come back.  ;)  Just sent the gargantuan final chapter off to Parker. We'll see what he thinks.  :lol:

My reasons for returning are Geoff and Tony.

And I just realized I got your two stories mixed up in my mind. So…

Spoiler

I hope Stuart isn’t breaking into Geoff & Tony’s house in the very last sentence!

5 hours ago, northie said:

@droughtquake Spoilers, spoilers ...  :ph34r:  :lol:  

Yes, future me is sending vital information back to me from the future and the best I can come up with are plot lines from my favorite stories. Not winning lottery numbers or political advice. Not even earthquake warnings!
;–)

57 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

are plot lines from my favorite stories

Thanks, drought. :yes:   I could say flattery gets you everywhere, but that would be mean. ;)

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, northie said:

OK...  the final chapter is up. So, if you prefer your stories complete, here it is. 

Wonderful final chapter - I'll be back with a comment or two tomorrow. It's time for bed. :yawn:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Wonderful final chapter

Thanks, Tim. It flowed out, and I'm very pleased with it. The best chapter so far, I think.  :yes:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

Life imitates art

Except I left out the knife.  :angry:  Birmingham and London are the main knife crime hotspots.  Homophobia? Well, that could be anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, northie said:

Except I left out the knife.  :angry:  Birmingham and London are the main knife crime hotspots.

I don’t know why I knew that Sheffield was associated with cutlery and silverware. That was the UK city that popped into my head when I read saw ‘knife.’ I don’t usually remember those kinds of things. I do remember the beginning of The Full Monty and the clips of the steel mills.
;–)

• 1 year later...

*blows the cobwebs off*

Blimey, it's been a long time since I've posted any news here. For anyone not sure of the story, it's here:

I received a plaintive comment today asking after the two heroes, Geoff and Tony and when they might return. Here's part of my reply:

It's been quite a while since I've thought about this story. I think any author will tell you they write to those characters who speak to them. Geoff and Tony have been pretty quiet. Have I given up on them? I don't know is the honest answer. Having re-read this chapter has stirred a few thoughts. However, I must concentrate on finishing Never Too Late - those characters have been demanding my time a lot. I expect that to take the next several months. Then there's whatever I decide to write for the next anthology. I promised GA's admins a story for Premium after that, but given I unexpectedly offered them one now, I can hang fire on that. So maybe next year? Certainly a COVID-19 limited winter will create more time for writing (and so keeping sane). 

• Like 1