What element do you always include or must have in your stories?

This was a tough one.  The only thing I can think of that I require in all of my stories is plenty of dialogue.  Other than that, I tend to like to mix things up.  

• Like 4

Cia mentioned scent, and I agree that is an important and sometimes overlooked element.  Others have mentioned certain foods or wines and I would go one step further and mention taste and descriptions so vivid that you can actually imagine tasting it...

After all, man does not live by sex alone.....I meant bread.  :P

• Like 3
On 6/10/2018 at 11:15 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

No must-haves, each story's different.

I'm with Carlos here. My stories are usually set somewhere in the UK, but otherwise, no, I don't set out to include some element in particular.  Some stories have female characters, other don't. The age range of my main characters varies, as does their status. I sometimes think this lack of unifying elements works against me, as people don't know what to expect next from me as a writer. 

• Like 2