The Drop in Centre

7 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

For sleeping when you can't get in 8 hours, ensure you're sleep is quality.  

Don't do anything in your bed but sleep (or sex). No tv.  No reading.  No phone. Train your body to respond to the bed with falling asleep. 

Be sure you're hydrated.  Being thirsty can interrupt lots of processes.  Including sleep. 

Eat as well as you can and continue to exercise. 

Naps can be refreshing if kept under an hour, more than that and you kind of mess up your sleeping cycle.   

Yeah, the don't do other things in bed thing was something they told us in bipolar class. I suck at it. Part of the reason is that reading makes me sleepy, but if I read elsewhere and then get up and do things, I wake up again.

How are you doing, Starry? :) 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Yeah, the don't do other things in bed thing was something they told us in bipolar class. I suck at it. Part of the reason is that reading makes me sleepy, but if I read elsewhere and then get up and do things, I wake up again.

How are you doing, Starry? :) 

One of the things that really helped my clients with anxiety was helping to regulate sleep as much as possible. So when you learn that stuff in school they teach you how to encourage healthy sleep, how to talk in ways that help others listen and relax and all kinds of things. 

It's funny. 

I sing like shit but I have been told by many people in many scenarios I have a very pleasant speaking voice. But then I was taught tone and inflection in grad school.  Lol.  Learned skill. 

And you probably need more practice with sleep training Thorn. It's not something people get good at overnight as I'm sure they told you :)

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

So, usually when old telephone poles have lived their life they are torn down to make way for new ones. I have walked by these two poles many times, and finally remembered to take a picture. As you can see, some old telephone poles will do anything to stick around.... :P 

1717010855_ScreenShot2019-02-16at4_04_33PM.png.563fc31bf3a7062d2999bf320dfe4c96.png

What is growing around the one on the left???

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

And you probably need more practice with sleep training Thorn. It's not something people get good at overnight as I'm sure they told you :)

It took me a while to figure out this is something you can't do "cold turkey" as the saying goes. I've heard you should decrease your waking hours in small increments until you reach your end goal. Oh, and lying awake in bed told me this, too. :) 

• Like 3
Just now, Reader1810 said:

Another tree. Between you and me, it looks more like a fossilized boa constrictor 

looks like the beanstalk....

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Discipline is teaching through wisdom. Punishment is teaching through abuse.

These 2 simple sentences have been rolling around in my head for a couple of weeks. I wrote them as part of an email response to someone regarding The Process of Learning. I'm thinking there is a longer essay to be expounded on here. Thoughts?

• Like 4
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

One of the things that really helped my clients with anxiety was helping to regulate sleep as much as possible. So when you learn that stuff in school they teach you how to encourage healthy sleep, how to talk in ways that help others listen and relax and all kinds of things. 

It's funny. 

I sing like shit but I have been told by many people in many scenarios I have a very pleasant speaking voice. But then I was taught tone and inflection in grad school.  Lol.  Learned skill. 

I really do. As with everything else I'm bad at practice, though. And even when I've gotten somewhere, suddenly I get an episode and it all unravels. Working on it, though.

33 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Looks like a tree. In love with the now dead tree phone pole.

That's kind of sad, but beautiful at the same time, I think. Very poetic, in either case. Would make for a lovely poem.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

These 2 simple sentences have been rolling around in my head for a couple of weeks. I wrote them as part of an email response to someone regarding The Process of Learning. I'm thinking there is a longer essay to be expounded on here. Thoughts?

Discipline is teaching through wisdom.   i agree with that Sir.       If by punishment you mean the Dom is angry.. and beats the sub  then yes i'd agree with that too.  We should not be touched if the Dom is angry.  Never, in my opinion.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

i think, Sir, that it would be a good essay to read

there is a world of difference in the two, and many people may not see the distinction; Dom, sub or vanilla

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

It's a really important distinction, I think; one that's true for everything from childcare to criminal justice. Punishing people, as it turns out, doesn't actually work very well, if your goal (as I believe it should be) is to correct unwanted behaviour and teach people to be better. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Discipline is teaching through wisdom.   i agree with that Sir.       If by punishment you mean the Dom is angry.. and beats the sub  then yes i'd agree with that too.  We should not be touched if the Dom is angry.  Never, in my opinion.

you're right, corrective actions should never be administered when angry. Punishment can also come in the form of abusive language. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

it does look nice .. but i'm hiding till there's no choice.. like tomorrow.. haha

It was glorious, but I know from experience, you don't have to be out in to enjoy it or benefit from it. Yeah, tomorrow has a higher, but still not too high, chance of snow - hope it's more of what we got today. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i think, Sir, that it would be a good essay to read

there is a world of difference in the two, and many people may not see the distinction; Dom, sub or vanilla

No, many people probably don't recognize the difference. One is meaningful, the other is... mean?

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

It's a really important distinction, I think; one that's true for everything from childcare to criminal justice. Punishing people, as it turns out, doesn't actually work very well, if your goal (as I believe it should be) is to correct unwanted behaviour and teach people to be better. 

Spot-on, Thorn. Punishment usually has an opposing effect. Maybe one could say that discipline is done out of care, while punishment is done out of ego.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

you're right, corrective actions should never be administered when angry. Punishment can also come in the form of abusive language. 

i know some like that.. being called names.. slut, whore etc..  i don't  and Michael has never been into that thankfully, Sir.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
5 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

No, many people probably don't recognize the difference. One is meaningful, the other is... mean?

agreed Sir

3 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Spot-on, Thorn. Punishment usually has an opposing effect. Maybe one could say that discipline is done out of care, while punishment is done out of ego.

i remember being punished as a child

it usually just made me angrier, lash out harder

discipline now, in my world, makes me want to be better, try harder

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..