The Drop in Centre

37 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

SWMRS 

And my new band crush The Regrettes. 

It's not until April. But still. 

And I'm trying to finagle Dashboard Confessional this summer.  

Should be a good show. 

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello @MacGreg Sir

hello DiC

picked up the groceries,  now folding laundry watching the Daytona 500.

i'll be around 👋

Hello, molly. It's Penguins vs Rangers here while I get stuff done. Hockey Day in America. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Oh my gosh yes.  I've followed my bandcrush online for about a year or so. It'll be the first time they come within 3 hours of my city. 

So wonderful when you get to see bands you like. :) The Cure is coming to a festival here in Oslo this summer and I got myself a festival pass. So happy! :heart: 

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Marty said:

That's a photograph of Glencar Lake. The lake, and the nearby Glencar Waterfall, was made famous by William Butler Yeats, as it was the inspiration for his 1886 poem The Stolen Child, in which  human child is stolen away by the faeries.

@Marty thank you for that!

was wonderful to read, and then hear it read so well!

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Marty said:

That's a photograph of Glencar Lake. The lake, and the nearby Glencar Waterfall, was made famous by William Butler Yeats, as it was the inspiration for his 1886 poem The Stolen Child, in which  human child is stolen away by the faeries.

Oh, I love Yeats! What a beautiful reading as well. Thank you.

Hadn't realised you were Irish, actually. One of my best friends is Irish, so I've visited with her. It's a beautiful country. :) 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3
39 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Oh, I love Yeats! What a beautiful reading as well. Thank you.

Hadn't realised you were Irish, actually. One of my best friends is Irish, so I've visited with her. It's a beautiful country. :) 

Yes indeed, Yeats wrote some magnificent poetry!

I was born in England to an Irish father and an English mother. I have lived in Ireland since 1986, travel on an Irish passport, and now consider myself Irish, not English (although I still have a northern English accent).

Although Yeats didn't reference it as such in the poem, The Stolen Child, it is based on an old Irish legend about Changelings. If a child were sickly and/or not thriving, the belief was that the original (healthy) child had been stolen by the faeries, and a sick faerie child had been left in its place (hence the term "changeling"). It was believed that male children were more likely to be stolen in this way than a female one, so apparently a mother would often dress a young boy in girl's clothing to try to trick the faeries.

There's an old Irish poem (which I have also heard sung), probably written in the 17th or 18th century, about changelings:-

A mother came while stars were paling,
Wailing round the lonely spring;
Thus she cried while tears were falling,
Calling on the fairy king:

"Why, with spells my child caressing,
Courting him with fairy joy,
oh why take a mother's blessing?
Wherefore steal her baby boy?

Over hills and down through valleys,
Where his childhood loved to play,
Where the flowers are freshly springing,
There I wander day by day.

There I wander ever fonder
Of the child who made my joy,
Calling on the wild winds blowing
To restore my fairy boy.

But in vain my plaintive calling,
Tears are falling all in vain;
He now sports with fairy pleasure,
He's the treasure of their train.

Fare you well my child forever,
In this world I've lost my joy,
In the next we ne'er shall sever,
There I'll find my angel boy."

To avoid taking up too much space, I've put a link to a rendition of it, sung by The Grehan Sisters, inside spoilers below.

Spoiler

[youtube]

Edited by Marty
Correcting yet another of my inevitable typos.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

The Cure is coming to a festival here in Oslo this summer and I got myself a festival pass. So happy! :heart: 

3 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Oh fun! 

I love the Cure 

Me too!

They've done so many great songs.

I think Lovesong is brilliant in its sheer simplicity.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i had an idea on the way home ... i have been trying to write serious ... i am tired of serious..  time for some comedy ... not Faris and James.. sorry.. but something else...  i need to make some notes..     hehe

That's awesome! Go for it! :) 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i had an idea on the way home ... i have been trying to write serious ... i am tired of serious..  time for some comedy ... not Faris and James.. sorry.. but something else...  i need to make some notes..     hehe

Go for it, Tim! :thumbup:

There's nothing wrong with a bit of comedy. As W. B. Yeats says: "For the world’s more full of weeping than you can understand."

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..