"Star Wars" 40 years later

So the latest "Halloween" movie decided to forget about every other sequel and serve as a direct sequel to only the events of the first Halloween movie.  It made me wonder, what would a distant sequel to the original Star Wars movie look like if we totally ditched every other sequel.  No Empire Strikes Back, no "I am your father," no prequel trilogy.  No Yoda or Jar-Jar.  No "Luke and Leia are twins."  Just a random kid who fired a "one in a million" shot and blew up the Death Star.  What would a movie like that look like?  Would you want to see it?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hopefully, nothing like Bladerunner 2049.

Luke's Jedi training. Epic space battles. Epic lightsaber fights. Michael Bay level action, and explosions.

But mainly, a believable storyline with characters that have depth and development.

Oh, and George Lucas keeps his fraking hands off of it!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, jamessavik said:

It was all good until Darth Mickey took over the billion$ franchise and made it worthless.

Rogue One was good. LOL

I liked certain parts of 7 & 8, but it did tread into SJW preachiness, and Mary Sue-ville.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Oh, and George Lucas keeps his fraking hands off of it!

OMG, this was exactly what I was gonna say! George Lucas is the worst thing that ever happened to his own franchise. The prequels especially proved this, IMO.

Oh, and I also liked Rogue One. A lot. 

• Like 2

After seeing the train wreck that was Episode 7, I refused to keep watching anything that got put out after that. It was depressing because I have such good childhood memories around Star Wars. Right before they released the prequels, they re-released the original three in movie theaters. I was 6 or 7 then. My dad, who was away a lot of the time for work, took me to Sunday matinees to go see them. It was just time him and I got together that we didn't really get otherwise. I actually liked the prequels too. Episode I was meh, but II and III were good. 

Disney ruined it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, TetRefine said:

After seeing the train wreck that was Episode 7, I refused to keep watching anything that got put out after that. It was depressing because I have such good childhood memories around Star Wars. Right before they released the prequels, they re-released the original three in movie theaters. I was 6 or 7 then. My dad, who was away a lot of the time for work, took me to Sunday matinees to go see them. It was just time him and I got together that we didn't really get otherwise. I actually liked the prequels too. Episode I was meh, but II and III were good. 

Disney ruined it. 

I really hope you'll give Rogue One a chance some day. It really is a fantastic piece of cinema, and has nothing to do with the sequels at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The problem with Disney ownership is that they’ll milk it for sequels regardless of whether the source material is deep enough to support them. It’s surprising there were no direct-to-video sequels to The Black Hole – instead they’re trying for a remake, the other thing Disney loves doing. Just wait until Disney decides to remake the original Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope…  ;–)

14 hours ago, droughtquake said:

The problem with Disney ownership is that they’ll milk it for sequels regardless of whether the source material is deep enough to support them. It’s surprising there were no direct-to-video sequels to The Black Hole – instead they’re trying for a remake, the other thing Disney loves doing. Just wait until Disney decides to remake the original Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope…  ;–)

They won't do that. They're greedy, but they're not stupid. When the original is that iconic, there's not a chance in hell of a remake succeeding. As for the rest of it . . . I mean, I like the sequels. I've really enjoyed them. Are they the best movies ever? No. But neither were the originals. Iconic, yes. Innovative, yes. Exciting, absolutely. But if it hadn't been for the amazing chemistry between Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill, they would have been terrible, because as much as the story and plot were great, the script sucked. I think this religious relationship people have with the original Star Wars movies is ridiculous, because objectively speaking they're really not as good as people try to make them out to be. It's nostalgia more than anything else that makes us love them so much. Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 3
On 11/8/2018 at 6:52 PM, TetRefine said:

Disney ruined it. 

Rogue One was actually really good. 

I think my biggest problem with Episode 8 is that instead of further developing Poe, Rey, and Finn as a team, the movie split them all up and we don't see them together until the end.

Also...*Superman theme*....I mean, really?

I didn't think either 7 or 8 were THAT bad, though.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/13/2018 at 7:35 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Rogue One was actually really good. 

I think my biggest problem with Episode 8 is that instead of further developing Poe, Rey, and Finn as a team, the movie split them all up and we don't see them together until the end.

Also...*Superman theme*....I mean, really?

I didn't think either 7 or 8 were THAT bad, though.

I agree regarding episode 8. I wanted to see their dynamic develop properly, and by splitting them up the film itself became kind of choppy. I think it would have helped a lot if they'd done more together. Also, the fan fiction nerd in me ships Finn and Poe so hard... I'm 100% convinced Poe is gay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I agree regarding episode 8. I wanted to see their dynamic develop properly, and by splitting them up the film itself became kind of choppy. I think it would have helped a lot if they'd done more together. Also, the fan fiction nerd in me ships Finn and Poe so hard... I'm 100% convinced Poe is gay.

I’d rather imagine a young Han and Leia recreating the scene from Game of Thrones where Margery Tyrell is trying to seduce Renly Baratheon and suggests that she could invite her older brother Loras to join them in bed if that would help…  ;–)

7 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’d rather imagine a young Han and Leia recreating the scene from Game of Thrones where Margery Tyrell is trying to seduce Renly Baratheon and suggests that she could invite her older brother Loras to join them in bed if that would help…  ;–)

Porque no los dos? ;) 

9 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

¿Porque no los dos? ;) 

Most straight (and probably bi) guys fantasize about threeways. Leia was kind of a tomboy, but she’s a little too obviously a girl for a Gay man like me! She can stay in bed fully clothed and keep firing off those biting comments and clever quips though!  ;–)

Or, she could leave so it’s just me, Luke, and Han (at the ages we were when Star Wars first came out)…  ;–)

1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Most straight (and probably bi) guys fantasize about threeways. Leia was kind of a tomboy, but she’s a little too obviously a girl for a Gay man like me! She can stay in bed fully clothed and keep firing off those biting comments and clever quips though!  ;–)

Or, she could leave so it’s just me, Luke, and Han (at the ages we were when Star Wars first came out)…  ;–)

I just meant, why can't we have both Luke/Han and Poe/Finn? Cause I'd be happy to read either. Though as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure Poe is canonically gay. He's just coded that way.

• Haha 1

I remember interviews with the actors when Star Trek: Voyager and when Enterprise were just starting out. The actor who played Harry Kim, Garrett Wang, commented on the close interactions between Kim and Tom Paris and said he’d be okay with them becoming a couple. And I think it was Dominick Keating who said the same thing about Reed and Trip. The actors were on board, but the producers weren’t and soon married Paris off to B’Elanna and linked Trip with T’Pol romantically to prevent their teenaged male fan base from having to confront their own homophobia.

39 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I remember interviews with the actors when Star Trek: Voyager and when Enterprise were just starting out. The actor who played Harry Kim, Garrett Wang, commented on the close interactions between Kim and Tom Paris and said he’d be okay with them becoming a couple. And I think it was Dominick Keating who said the same thing about Reed and Trip. The actors were on board, but the producers weren’t and soon married Paris off to B’Elanna and linked Trip with T’Pol romantically to prevent their teenaged male fan base from having to confront their own homophobia.

Well, Disney already introduced a gay character in the Beauty and the Beast live action remake, which was rated PG rather than PG-13, and have already alienated all the dude-bros by introducing a racially diverse cast with a nearly equal gender balance, so at this point I think it would actually be doable. It's been a while since Voyager and Enterprise, after all.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2018 at 10:12 AM, Thorn Wilde said:

I really hope you'll give Rogue One a chance some day. It really is a fantastic piece of cinema, and has nothing to do with the sequels at all.

I just can't. They took a lovable piece of my childhood and butchered it. I can't ever forgive them. 😛 

• Haha 2