Story Exercise 1: THE PREMISE

As the original poster, I'll go first. Here's my premise for a story that I recently completed:

When a hard-boiled secret agent turned bodyguard falls for his principle, he is forced to confront his own lack of humanity in order to pursue his love interest and win his affection.

Edited by Serelec
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

@Serelec I'm still processing, as time is one thing I'm always short of.  I'd recommend much smaller chunks and 1 exercise at a time.  I'm pretty sure more than a few people saw the wall of text and ran for the hills.  ;)

11 hours ago, Myr said:

@Serelec I'm still processing, as time is one thing I'm always short of.  I'd recommend much smaller chunks and 1 exercise at a time.  I'm pretty sure more than a few people saw the wall of text and ran for the hills.  ;)

Good idea, honestly for my sake too cause that was a lot of summarizing haha

• Like 2

First exercise and I'm already having trouble.:facepalm:  Especially this line:  Ask yourself if this premise line has the makings of a story that could change your life.

What if I'm writing it because I thought it sounded like fun?  I'm not looking to change the world.  

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
4 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

I'm not looking to change the world.  

I think your perspective here is too broad...

You can change someone's life by having an entertaining story right at that moment someone is down.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I don’t think I could even start to follow all of those instructions. I did once write a story using the structure of 'The Hero with a Thousand Faces' but it was hard going. I think that trying to do all of these exercises would be more likely to lead me into procrastination rather than actual writing!

Its a good idea, though and would probably suit the kind of writer who likes to spend loads of time planning out before actually diving in to the story.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Mawgrim said:

I don’t think I could even start to follow all of those instructions. I did once write a story using the structure of 'The Hero with a Thousand Faces' but it was hard going. I think that trying to do all of these exercises would be more likely to lead me into procrastination rather than actual writing!

Its a good idea, though and would probably suit the kind of writer who likes to spend loads of time planning out before actually diving in to the story.

i agree with you... i've done this and then so much of the story was done according to my brain, i couldnt write it.  This sort of thing is interesting to read but doesn't work for me either.

The effort is appreciated though.

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Exercise 1: Secret government organization finds and trains people with extraordinary powers while keeping those powers hidden from society.

• Like 3

EXERCISE 1: DEFINE YOUR PREMISE

An abused, jaded teenager gets transported to another world, where he is adopted by a new family and discovers that some things…and some people…are worth fighting for.  

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Mawgrim said:

I'm a huge pantser myself. However, I have found that when I reach a roadblock while in the middle of writing, it was helpful to go back and explore some of these questions. It usually helps me to understand why I've hit a bump in the road. But overall, the most important takeaway for me was to create the one sentence premise line :)

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Serelec said:

I'm a huge pantser myself. However, I have found that when I reach a roadblock while in the middle of writing, it was helpful to go back and explore some of these questions. It usually helps me to understand why I've hit a bump in the road. But overall, the most important takeaway for me was to create the one sentence premise line :)

I'm also a fellow pantser that is trying to be a little bit more structured to keep me from wandering off into the weeds so often.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, CassieQ said:

I'm also a fellow pantser that is trying to be a little bit more structured to keep me from wandering off into the weeds so often.  

It's a marathon of balance 😂 Part of the fun with being a pantser is that your characters tend to surprise you in so many different ways. It's just like real life heh

• Like 3

I’m trying to use this technique to work out a premise for a story I’m currently working on but I have two main point of view characters, both of whom have different objectives, even though their lives intertwine. The only way I can think of doing it is a sentence for both:

A newly-hired chief projectionist discovers his predecessor invented a device that has stirred up malevolent forces within the cinema. A young woman, whose mother died under mysterious circumstances, find herself drawn to the same place, convinced she will find the answers there.

• Like 4

I'm using this technique to help me figure out my upcoming story but I don't feel like "spoiling it" even in this very exclusive circle :) So I'll go public with one of my completed pieces. 

"Just when a teen drummer boy finally feels ready to pursue his love interest for the first time, a few seemingly unrelated events abruptly change his life into an unpredictable roller coaster."

Edited by Arch Hunter
  • Like 4
On 4/12/2021 at 9:59 PM, CassieQ said:

EXERCISE 1: DEFINE YOUR PREMISE

An abused, jaded teenager gets transported to another world, where he is adopted by a new family and discovers that some things…and some people…are worth fighting for.  

I read that story.  It was a good one.  Looking forward to seeing how you work things out in your story.

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 2