Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

For The Love

Past 150 mph? :angry: Are you out of your goat-brain? What were you trying to do? Get all of the AZ desert sand out of your wazoo???

No more of that until you get this story finished....or at least one more pool party! B)0:)

Yes, that was most inconsiderate of Chris to break young Eric's nose! He should have just turned the other cheek. :P

I really must echo the words of many of your readers on the somewhat increased pace of of that chapter. :lmao: I couldn't stop or slow down at all. Well done, CJ? :worship::worship::worship:

Conner

Actually, the only times I've driven a car over 150mph (Ok, well over) have been on the Autobahns of Germany, where there is no speed limit (well, not on the parts I did that on, anyway). Don't do it unless you know what you are doing, but it is one heck of a rush.

Thanks Conner!!!! :wub:

Okay, I'll start the ball rolling....

Chris noticed a smell of rotten eggs. Now, I personally have never encountered a rotten egg, so I don't know what it smells like, but I believe it is supposed to be the same as Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S). To have enough HS in the sheriff's house for Chris to notice the smell (especially when you consider what was going on around him), implies that the house was being used as a chemical lab. This then tends to imply that at least of the things that they have been up to is the manufacture of drugs.

The wikipedia entry on Hydrogen Sulfide gives some tantalising hints as to what they may be up to, but not real clues. However, a quick google search on hydrogen sulfide and drug manufacture reveals that it can be used in the manufacture of methamphetamines.

:D That means at least one of the operations that the sheriff has been up to is probably illicit drug manufacture. No proof, but strong circumstantial evidence. I don't know what the $50K of equipment that is waiting the datastick information would be, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

I can't comment on the rest, or even the amount of gas present, but Chris came to rest in the sheriff's kitchen, thus presumably right over a severed gas line, so he would smell something guite soon. I won't say what kind of gas (propane and natural gas being the two commonly used, as not all areas have natural gas lines.)

And, I will say one more thing, hoping that it's not a spoiler:...

Edited by C James
  • Site Administrator
I can't comment on the rest, or even the amount of gas present, but Chris came to rest in the sheriff's kitchen, thus presumably right over a severed gas line, so he would smell something guite soon. I won't say what kind of gas (propane and natural gas being the two commonly used, as not all areas have natural gas lines.)

Neither natural gas nor propane smells like rotten eggs. Natural gas CAN have a hydrogen sulfide content (it's one of the sources of H2S), but as it is a toxic and flammable gas, I would expect that they would filter it out before it was piped to the consumers.

• Site Administrator
Neither natural gas nor propane smells like rotten eggs. Natural gas CAN have a hydrogen sulfide content (it's one of the sources of H2S), but as it is a toxic and flammable gas, I would expect that they would filter it out before it was piped to the consumers.

Actually you are correct in the fact that Hydrogen Sulfide is added to both the gasses. Natural Gas has no smell at all, so the producers add the H2S to it. Actually they advertise that if you smell a "rotten eggs" smell, open some windows, get out of the area, and call the gas company.

May be different over in Aus, but here all Natural Gas has the rotten eggs smell. I actually figured that it was that when the car went crashing into the kitchen, a pipe was broken, as most large houses have natural gas stoves instead of electric.

But then again, I may be wrong. CJ has mislead us before, cause I've been told he is evil :devil:

• Site Administrator
Actually you are correct in the fact that Hydrogen Sulfide is added to both the gasses. Natural Gas has no smell at all, so the producers add the H2S to it. Actually they advertise that if you smell a "rotten eggs" smell, open some windows, get out of the area, and call the gas company.

May be different over in Aus, but here all Natural Gas has the rotten eggs smell. I actually figured that it was that when the car went crashing into the kitchen, a pipe was broken, as most large houses have natural gas stoves instead of electric.

But then again, I may be wrong. CJ has mislead us before, cause I've been told he is evil :devil:

Okay, I stand corrected. It maybe that CJ put in the comment about rotten eggs to explain the explosion that appeared later on, and it was I who was misled into thinking it was a clue....

150 is possible on highways, especially with custom and some European (especially German) cars. I personally went exactly 171.

Oh...didn't I mention it was in kilometer per hour? 0:)

I think this might be a national difference; in the US, it is mandated by law that Gas must have an oderant added, and it smells like rotten eggs/sulfur. Have you ever been to the Rotorua geothermal area in NEw Zealand? That has a very strong sulphur smell, often described by visitors as "rotten eggs". Propane is simmilar in this regard, but tends to smell a little different.

Huh? What? Me? Evil? 0:)

You are quite right about the gas, though.

Okay, I stand corrected. It maybe that CJ put in the comment about rotten eggs to explain the explosion that appeared later on, and it was I who was misled into thinking it was a clue....

Yes and no; The comment about rotten eggs was to indicate gas (a broken line). Whether it means more, it either does, or it does not. B)

150 is possible on highways, especially with custom and some European (especially German) cars. I personally went exactly 171.

Oh...didn't I mention it was in kilometer per hour? 0:)

Oh, I can absolutely guarantee that 150mph is possible on a road. On the autobahn I reached about 170mph a few times. On one of those times, a Ferrari passed me, doing around 200mph. However, for a road like Chris was on, with slight undulations, about 145 would be the max.

• Site Administrator

I did 100mph on one of the UK motorways once. A police car pulled up alongside and I saw a policeman shaking his head at me. I decided I should slow down to something closer to the speed limit....

Here's an image I have of SUPER CHRIS! Fun chapter.

ROFL! Thanks!!!

I did 100mph on one of the UK motorways once. A police car pulled up alongside and I saw a policeman shaking his head at me. I decided I should slow down to something closer to the speed limit....

You were lucky, the limit over there is, as I recall, about 75mph, same as here in Arizona (freeways).

Incidentally, anyone following the media whinging over Paris Hilton (and I agree with GRame's post in the lounge on that: can't they find anything else to yammer about?) might notice that the sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona, has offered to stick her in his "tent city", where inmates bake in tents in the desert summer heat. He also has the nations only female chain gangs, so she might have a non-too-fun stay.

The only reason he offered to take her was for the publicity (and that I disagree with) but he's not all that unusual for Arizona sheriffs. His isn't the only tent city jail, nor are his the only chain gangs, just the best known due to Maricopa county containing most of Arizona's population (the Phoenix metro area).

Unfortunately, the idea of a sheriff running a county as their own fifedom is not limited to fiction.

Yes, that was most inconsiderate of Chris to break young Eric's nose! He should have just turned the other cheek. :P

I almost forgot this bit! Yes indeed, poor Eric has either a bloody nose, or a broken one.

I suppose this is the real cliffhanger of the chapter... How bad is Eric's nose?

Edited by C James

One question: by blowing up the sheriff's house, did Chris destroy some important incriminating evidence? The meth lab theory seems to have been swept aside by CJames, but it's his job to mislead people who're on to something.

See the positive side for Eric: his broken nose will give him a tough guy look that will prove useful in jail.

One question: by blowing up the sheriff's house, did Chris destroy some important incriminating evidence? The meth lab theory seems to have been swept aside by CJames, but it's his job to mislead people who're on to something.

See the positive side for Eric: his broken nose will give him a tough guy look that will prove useful in jail.

I am making no comment, one way or another, on the meth lab theory. I just discussed the gas situation. :)

As for Eric, We don't know if his nose is broken, or just bloodied. It could be either one (per the text).

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one has yet expressed worry over Eric's safety. What if he ran to the house to get something for his nose just as it went boom? That explosion was powerful enough to shake the Charger, and Eric was much closer, plus unprotected by a vehicle.

Poor Eric... :,(

As for Eric, We don't know if his nose is broken, or just bloodied. It could be either one (per the text).

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one has yet expressed worry over Eric's safety. What if he ran to the house to get something for his nose just as it went boom? That explosion was powerful enough to shake the Charger, and Eric was much closer, plus unprotected by a vehicle.

Poor Eric... :,(

Oh yes, I am concerned, Eric will be a key witness (for softer prison time) against the Fundies... he can't die yet... again: he cant die YET! :blink:

Maybe after the trial is over, he might meet with Mrs Bubba... who likes boys? eww? :devil:

• Site Moderator
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one has yet expressed worry over Eric's safety.

Something we tend to remember is, Rat's are survivors. So Eric's still around and will be for a long time.

Jan

Oh, I can absolutely guarantee that 150mph is possible on a road. On the autobahn I reached about 170mph a few times. On one of those times, a Ferrari passed me, doing around 200mph. However, for a road like Chris was on, with slight undulations, about 145 would be the max.

I believe you. I watched in History Channel about the German highways BEING in such a good quality so it can handle such speeds. Shit and we barely could afford to keep our congested highways maintained. :wacko:

For some reason, my Ford Focus stop putting gas into the engine once I hit 100mph (stupid computer). I was able to hit 107mph by going down a hill till the engine started to whine from being staved of gas. Back then I achieved this speed last fall while being in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania...coming back from my friend in Lancaster County (yes the Amish Country...so many Amish there :P ).

Maybe the Ford Explorer will be better...my parents are buying one for me and my sister.

• Site Administrator
May be different over in Aus, but here all Natural Gas has the rotten eggs smell.

I've done some research and they put in something to our gas supply here to make it smell, but it's not Hydrogen Sulfide. The websites all talk about a "gas smell". I know what it smells like, but I'm not sure I can explain it.

As for Eric -- I'm not worried. I'm now going for the theory that he's not human and is indestructible. The way he manages to get through all these scrapes and disasters is clear evidence, in my humble opinion.

Chris had better have taken a good photo, because if he hasn't, he's up on charges of criminal damage and grand theft auto (the sheriff's car). There are probably also a few other things that he could be charged with (impersonating an officer, for example, but driving a police car with the siren on). Unless there is solid proof against the Piedmont sheriff, or clear evidence that Chris will be in danger if he goes there, it could be a very interesting extradition tussle between the two counties. Does Piedmont have the right to appeal to the state level to get a directive sent to Lonesome Valley to hand over Chris to face charges?

I believe you. I watched in History Channel about the German highways BEING in such a good quality so it can handle such speeds. Shit and we barely could afford to keep our congested highways maintained. :wacko:

For some reason, my Ford Focus stop putting gas into the engine once I hit 100mph (stupid computer). I was able to hit 107mph by going down a hill till the engine started to whine from being staved of gas. Back then I achieved this speed last fall while being in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania...coming back from my friend in Lancaster County (yes the Amish Country...so many Amish there :P ).

Maybe the Ford Explorer will be better...my parents are buying one for me and my sister.

That's a computer limiter. Those can be hacked on many vehicles, though you need the correct interface equipment.

Another way around it is to install a switch on the spedometer sensor wire on some vehicles. :devil:

I've done some research and they put in something to our gas supply here to make it smell, but it's not Hydrogen Sulfide. The websites all talk about a "gas smell". I know what it smells like, but I'm not sure I can explain it.

Hydrogen sulfide isn't used much here either, they usually use other chemicals to impart the smell.

As for Eric -- I'm not worried. I'm now going for the theory that he's not human and is indestructible. The way he manages to get through all these scrapes and disasters is clear evidence, in my humble opinion.

Not unscathed, though; he does now have damage to his nose, poor guy...

Chris had better have taken a good photo, because if he hasn't, he's up on charges of criminal damage and grand theft auto (the sheriff's car). There are probably also a few other things that he could be charged with (impersonating an officer, for example, but driving a police car with the siren on). Unless there is solid proof against the Piedmont sheriff, or clear evidence that Chris will be in danger if he goes there, it could be a very interesting extradition tussle between the two counties. Does Piedmont have the right to appeal to the state level to get a directive sent to Lonesome Valley to hand over Chris to face charges?

Chapter 27 covers many of the legalities, but as for extradition, it is a cloudy thing within a state. Usually, they just hand 'em over, but the local Sheriff (at least in Arizona) has a heck of a lot of leeway. The state can be appealed to, though.

150 miles make 180 km/h, if I dont make a mistake ? A few years ago (he yes about 30, there was then no speed limits on highways) I rode often between Geneva and Paris with my NSU car (doesnt exist anymore, it was an Audi with a Wankel motor, perhaps somebody with a knowledge of car history could explain what is a Wankel motor ?) with an average speed of 150 to 180 km/h. Its not so much if you have the right car with the right power.

BTW the highway-police arrested in few weeks ago two young men who made a race on a swiss highway between Bern and Zurich (about 100 miles) between 2 and 3 am and made a speed of 240 km/h (200 miles/h !) Dont ask which kind of cars....Ferrari . And we complain our highways are also not well maintained :blink:

Hey CJ :2thumbs:

Its Holy Thursday afternoon (no business work) here and I just red the 3 last chapters, laughing about the way you write :lol: As I said before, I like your story, the fairness of your hero and the way you trap him in the uneasiest situations just to bring your damn cliffhangers to disturb the reader :P

Reading the last chapter, I heard all the noises in it . Its too much, I'm still laughing :great:

Fortunately, its allready middle of the week, just 4 days to wait still the next chapter is on line.

Well done CJ :worship:

150 miles make 180 km/h, if I dont make a mistake ? A few years ago (he yes about 30, there was then no speed limits on highways) I rode often between Geneva and Paris with my NSU car (doesnt exist anymore, it was an Audi with a Wankel motor, perhaps somebody with a knowledge of car history could explain what is a Wankel motor ?) with an average speed of 150 to 180 km/h. Its not so much if you have the right car with the right power.

BTW the highway-police arrested in few weeks ago two young men who made a race on a swiss highway between Bern and Zurich (about 100 miles) between 2 and 3 am and made a speed of 240 km/h (200 miles/h !) Dont ask which kind of cars....Ferrari . And we complain our highways are also not well maintained :blink:

150 Miles per hour would be about 240 KPH. :)

The Wankel is a rotary engine (no pistons).

I was going to type something up, but Wikipedia has a better than I could do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_rotary_engine

I've driven a Mazda with a wankel engine before, I love them. Better power-to-weight ratio than a piston engine, and

less vibrations.

One thing about a Wankel; if Hydrogen ever becomes a major auto fuel, you will see lots of wankels; they, unlike piston engines, are ideal suited for it.

I've heard of the NSU; wonderful car, and very, very light!

Hey CJ :2thumbs:

Its Holy Thursday afternoon (no business work) here and I just red the 3 last chapters, laughing about the way you write :lol: As I said before, I like your story, the fairness of your hero and the way you trap him in the uneasiest situations just to bring your damn cliffhangers to disturb the reader :P

Reading the last chapter, I heard all the noises in it . Its too much, I'm still laughing :great:

Fortunately, its allready middle of the week, just 4 days to wait still the next chapter is on line.

Well done CJ :worship:

Thanks Bob! :wub:

• Site Administrator
And doesn't that Blackheart sound like a nasty piece of work? Pure evil, with a name to match. :devil:

(Of course, it is entirely coincidental that I'm mentioning Blackheart in a reply to Shadowgod's post. 0:) )

Ah Ha!!! Eureka

I missed this clue earlier but now I know that the evil genius behind all of the boys problems could be no other than Blackheart!!! I imagine that he is to blame for all the crap that the boys have been through. I would even say that Eric is not as evil as we all think if he has fallen under the influence, like so many others, of Blackheart.

I would venture to say that this Blackheart is evil to the core!!! :devil: It wouldn't suprise me if he kills off some characters before the end of the story. Finally, could the answers to all the questions regarding the outcome may be encrypted on the data stick that probably only Blackheart thought he knew?

I believe that there is already one too many Blackhearts in this world. Hopefully it is not the same one, as indeed, he is very, very, very evil!!!

Now I'm probably going to have nightmares after this revelation.

Ah Ha!!! Eureka

I missed this clue earlier but now I know that the evil genius behind all of the boys problems could be no other than Blackheart!!! I imagine that he is to blame for all the crap that the boys have been through. I would even say that Eric is not as evil as we all think if he has fallen under the influence, like so many others, of Blackheart.

I would venture to say that this Blackheart is evil to the core!!! :devil: It wouldn't suprise me if he kills off some characters before the end of the story. Finally, could the answers to all the questions regarding the outcome may be encrypted on the data stick that probably only Blackheart thought he knew?

I believe that there is already one too many Blackhearts in this world. Hopefully it is not the same one, as indeed, he is very, very, very evil!!!

Now I'm probably going to have nightmares after this revelation.

:2thumbs::2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Yes indeed, Blackheart is evil to the core. He even has a bad habit for leaving people dangling over the edges of cliffs, plus a downright evil penchant for motorcycles. 0:)

I think, though, that there is a veeery good chance that the various blackhearts are one and the same. :devil:

BTW, there is another familiar name (purely coincidence, of course 0:) ) in FTL... Remember Reverend Thaddeus, the fire-and-brimstone fundie preacher? It's only mentioned once or twice in the text, but his full name is Thaddeus J. Emoe. 0:)

personally, from clues left in the story thus far, and even from a little personal experiance I think this blackheart fellow is more into identity theft then all out hacking. If it were the later he'd have bigger fish to fry what with multi billion dollar corperations and the like.

And can we peg him as evil when we dont even know him yet? I think he might just be another one of CJ's red herrings he likes to sprinkle through out the narritive...

:P

Steve

And can we peg him as evil when we dont even know him yet?

Yes, rule number one: Know Your Foe.

And we know quite well one sleazy, vomit-inducing, stealing, blackmailing, conspiring, drugs dealing, murder-attempting sibling of one of the lead characters, that some keep defending despite the accumulated evidence against him.

personally, from clues left in the story thus far, and even from a little personal experiance I think this blackheart fellow is more into identity theft then all out hacking. If it were the later he'd have bigger fish to fry what with multi billion dollar corperations and the like.

And can we peg him as evil when we dont even know him yet? I think he might just be another one of CJ's red herrings he likes to sprinkle through out the narritive...

:P

Steve

What? Me? Use red herrings?!?!? Why, I'll have you know that I'd no more use those than I would cliffhangers! :P

As for Blackheart, think about what he's done so far; he created a keylogger to tap into a police officer's computer, and he aided in setting up hidden cameras to take pictures of minors! I see no evidence whatsoever linking him to identity theft, but I certainly see plenty of motive for him to preserve his anonymity. :P

Yes, rule number one: Know Your Foe.

And we know quite well one sleazy, vomit-inducing, stealing, blackmailing, conspiring, drugs dealing, murder-attempting sibling of one of the lead characters, that some keep defending despite the accumulated evidence against him.

Now, now, let's not go leaping to unwarranted conclusions regarding Eric. The poor guy has had a rough time of it; he's has his carefully crafted industrious business ventures disrupted, and now he has either a bloody, or perhaps even a broken nose. Surely he's suffered enough? I still say he's just misunderstood... 0:)

Now Blackheart, on the other hand... :devil:

Now, now, let's not go leaping to unwarranted conclusions regarding Eric. The poor guy has had a rough time of it; he's has his carefully crafted industrious business ventures disrupted, and now he has either a bloody, or perhaps even a broken nose. Surely he's suffered enough?

A vast majority of readers would say NO! I think three chapters of trial in which all his crimes are exposed and telling of his first few months in prison would bring the author lots of sympathy, and, to Eric too, since he's had very little "screen time" actually; the bad consequences of his nefarious actions have been more lengthily told in the story than his actions themselves. And his being in Piedmont, or running away, added to the first-person narrative, prevented the reader to see him under a favorable light. (Had there been a pool party at Sheriff Johnson's, and a web cam planted by Chris and Steve ...) Besides his free enterprise skills, that only have to do with crime and misdemeanor, what good can you actually say of him?

A vast majority of readers would say NO! I think three chapters of trial in which all his crimes are exposed and telling of his first few months in prison would bring the author lots of sympathy, and, to Eric too, since he's had very little "screen time" actually; the bad consequences of his nefarious actions have been more lengthily told in the story than his actions themselves. And his being in Piedmont, or running away, added to the first-person narrative, prevented the reader to see him under a favorable light. (Had there been a pool party at Sheriff Johnson's, and a web cam planted by Chris and Steve ...) Besides his free enterprise skills, that only have to do with crime and misdemeanor, what good can you actually say of him?

Eric has been in quite a few chapters, playing an extensive role. He was involved a lot when Chris and Steve got together in the first few chapters, the chapter "homecoming" was about his return home, and he was featured a lot in the camera scenario, plus the camping chapters.

As for his good points, you just aren't looking hard enough; he's very creative! Not only did he conceive of the hidden cameras and put that into play, he also came up with the stake-out, which was, really, ideally suited to his needs. It would have been an effective information-gathering technique, and it had the advantage of leaving the guys alive in case further questioning was needed.

Oh, and don't forget his good manners and happy demeanor; he left the campsite telling the guys "Have a nice day!". Wasn't that sweet? 0:)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..