Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

For The Love

You said your brain is as big as a clemintine orange?

I even lack a heart. :P

A clemantine orange is as good as any, I suppose... :wacko:

And as for you lacking a heart, believe me, we all know that... :P

A clemantine orange is as good as any, I suppose... :wacko:

And as for you lacking a heart, believe me, we all know that... :P

I am very glad I am very obvious about that.

Do you have any idea how big is a clemintine orange? A little bigger than a walnut or half-size of a real orange. :sheep:

• Site Administrator
I'll have you know that a goat's brain is about the size or an orange. :2hands: This compares favorably with, say, (chosen entirely at random) the brain of an Echidna, which is indeed about the size of a walnut. 0:)

It's not how big it is, but what you do with it... 0:)

Do you have any idea how big is a clemintine orange? A little bigger than a walnut or half-size of a real orange. :sheep:

Now, now, Frosty, don't be a size queen.

Ok...

Faisons l'amour, pas la guerre!

Sauf ceux avec un cerveaux

Edited by C James

Posting Schedule Change:

Due to an intermittent computer problem, that appears to be a hardware failure, I could not be sure I'd have a computer operational by midnight, so I decided to play it safe and post FTL 25 early.

FTL 25, "Thicker Than Water", is up!

• Site Administrator

Ah ha!!!

Finally things are starting to make sense. Like any great mystery there is always one chapter that makes me think that I have it all figured out. But, more often then not, I'm sooo wrong.

This has been one of the best chapters CJ, but I have this funny feeling that indeed you may be leading us further astray.

And as far as another cliffhanger........... :thumbdown:

Hopefully you are NOT going to do like some other authors (left unmentioned) and start killing off any characters.

I will have to now re-read the chapter and see what evil you are really up to :devil:

Thanks for the great chapter :worship:

Steve

Posting Schedule Change:

Due to an intermittent computer problem, that appears to be a hardware failure, I could not be sure I'd have a computer operational by midnight, so I decided to play it safe and post FTL 25 early.

FTL 25, "Thicker Than Water", is up!

Okay, I think Val used too much bleach... if ol'boy wasn't expecting a flash... well... oh... :blink:

Great info released, and Im glad you posted early... too bad I didn't find out until 11:45pm... :devil:

Can't wait for next week, and Im wondering how he's gonna get out of this one? :ph34r:

:read: Still reading, and waiting... oh, and Shadow since I know you'll be reading this... when's your next chapter posting??? :(

And as far as another cliffhanger........... :thumbdown: Thanks for the great chapter :worship:

Duh...I finally get it! :lmao: Rather that fret about this story careening into a continuing series of unbelievable situations, the reader should consider For The Love a gay version of a Hardy Boys (or Nancy Drew so not be accused of being sexist) thriller go with the flow.

The story is fun and, while totally unrealistic, a marvelous read. The annoying cliffhangers are part of the craziness that reminds me of the Saturday morning serial movies I went to as a young boy. Just wish there was a popcorn machine nearby.

Jack B)

• Site Moderator
Duh...I finally get it! :lmao: Rather that fret about this story careening into a continuing series of unbelievable situations, the reader should consider For The Love a gay version of a Hardy Boys (or Nancy Drew so not be accused of being sexist) thriller go with the flow.

The story is fun and, while totally unrealistic, a marvelous read. The annoying cliffhangers are part of the craziness that reminds me of the Saturday morning serial movies I went to as a young boy. Just wish there was a popcorn machine nearby.

Jack B)

Then there's the Adventures of Spin and Marty.

And when are these two jackasses going to learn to let the cops do their job? It wouldn't surprise me to find out that LVSD is tracking Chris knowing he'd do something like this. I know, your thinking, they can't due to 'no signal'. But they know what's in the area.

If they do manage to catch Chris, they won't kill him, they need him alive in order to lure Steve in in order to get the data stick back.

Jan

Listen up, dudes and dudettes! Ecoutez! (for the French speaking contingent). CJ doesn't do cliffhangers! He's even said so himself! I know for sure that CJ never says anything tongue-in-cheek. :blink: I see the ending of this chapter for what it really is...a moment in time before the next pool party! 0:):P:wub:

Great job, CJ! :worship::2thumbs::great:

Listen up, dudes and dudettes! Ecoutez! (for the French speaking contingent). CJ doesn't do cliffhangers! He's even said so himself! I know for sure that CJ never says anything tongue-in-cheek. :blink: I see the ending of this chapter for what it really is...a moment in time before the next pool party! 0:):P:wub:

Tu me chies-tu? CJ est amoureux des cliffhangers. Point.

Are you shitting me? CJ loves cliffhangers. Period.

Great job, CJ...you made Betty all violent and hilarious in the same time. :P

Chris will get away with it. My best guess is that Betty will pick up his sorry ass anyway even she said herself she won't do anything. ;)

Ah ha!!!

Finally things are starting to make sense. Like any great mystery there is always one chapter that makes me think that I have it all figured out. But, more often then not, I'm sooo wrong.

This has been one of the best chapters CJ, but I have this funny feeling that indeed you may be leading us further astray.

And as far as another cliffhanger........... :thumbdown:

Hopefully you are NOT going to do like some other authors (left unmentioned) and start killing off any characters.

I will have to now re-read the chapter and see what evil you are really up to :devil:

Thanks for the great chapter :worship:

Steve

Thanks Steve!!!

Fear not for Chris; been as this is a 1st person narrative, he can't be killed while the story is ongoing, unless I want to have the final chapters recounted by his ghost. :)

Okay, I think Val used too much bleach... if ol'boy wasn't expecting a flash... well... oh... :blink:

Great info released, and Im glad you posted early... too bad I didn't find out until 11:45pm... :devil:

Can't wait for next week, and Im wondering how he's gonna get out of this one? :ph34r:

:read: Still reading, and waiting... oh, and Shadow since I know you'll be reading this... when's your next chapter posting??? :(

Heh, As for not expecting a flash, that's the one thing in this chapter that was no streach; if you had never seen a camera-phone before, would you know that they had a light for taking pics? The reason I'm so sure on this is that I'd never seen one, and had no idea that they did that until I did some googling, plus checked with my anonymous beta reader, Shadowgod. It did occur to me that it might have a flash of some kind, but only after researching the things. LoL

And BTW, it's Veronica who does the bleaching. Val drives a mustang in Living in Surreality (Our anonymous beta reader's story). The reason I mention this is I often confuse names that begin with the same letter, so on occasion I've typed "Valerie" when i meant "veronica". I had the same problems with typing "Chase" when i meant "Chad" in FTL. :lol:

Jack B)

Hi Jack!

The genre is action/adventure, so I do indeed take liberties with plausibility. I know there are quite a few stretches, but the one thing I'll defend is their penchant for doing things themselves rather than sitting back and letting the "authorities" handle things. Rural folk in this area are far more self-reliant than seems to be the norm nationwide. When I need something done, I do it myself. That means, for example, if I have an intruder, I take ';em down myself, not call the police and hope they get here in time. Same with a fire; I fight it myself, or get the hell out of the way if it's too big. It also means that if I have a legal issue requiring an investigation, I am very inclined to follow the old maxim "If you want something done right, do it yourself", and, in fact, I have done so (though not to the level of danger Chris and Steve are in).

That said, granted, it was incredibly stupid for Chris to go to Piedmont. However, Teens sometimes to rash, impetuous things (which is why they have such a high mortality rate).

Edited by C James
Then there's the Adventures of Spin and Marty.

And when are these two jackasses going to learn to let the cops do their job? It wouldn't surprise me to find out that LVSD is tracking Chris knowing he'd do something like this. I know, your thinking, they can't due to 'no signal'. But they know what's in the area.

If they do manage to catch Chris, they won't kill him, they need him alive in order to lure Steve in in order to get the data stick back.

Jan

Sitting back and "letting the cops do their job", has been, in my personal experience, often the least desirable course of action (in real life, let alone fiction). The sad fact is, often the job doesn't get done. My personal rule of thumb has been "If the investigation is active and proceeding well, leave it alone. If not, do it yourself". I've had to do this before so to me, this isn't a stretch at all. I was only dealing with car thefts and burglary, nothing too major, but had I not taken matters into my own hands (investigation-wise) nothing would have happened; the police had just moved on. So, I have some atypical views of that issue, but I don't feel it's incongruous at all for the rural west. (of course, what Chris did in going to Piedmont was just plain stupid!)

For example, some friends of mine were building a house in a remote area. Their place was often left unguarded, and someone was stealing things, such as major construction supplies (windows, water tanks, skylights, timber, etc.). This was reported the the police, along with the tire-tracks of the offending vehicle being pointed out. The case went nowhere, so I did it myself; I examined the tire-tracks, noticing that the vehicle was a dualy, Four tires on the real axel. Some big pickups have that configuration, and contractors are fond of 'em. That narrowed down my suspect list, becuase I knew of one contractor in the area, and he had that kind of truck. And a contractor has use for that kind of material. Sooo, I found out where he lived (he had a spread nearby, a house and some outbuildings) so I borrowed some camera gear, and climbed a nearby ridge (which was on public land, overlooking his spread).

I used a telescope to look around, and spotted the skylights stacked behind the barn, talking a few pictures. I then found out where he'd been working, and found that, low and behold, he'd sold some windows and a water tank (the latter having a serial number) to the homeowner. With evidence in hand, I turned it over to the police, and an arrest was made (he plead guilty.) Had I left it alone, nothing would have been done. And come to think of it, maybe this event influenced me regarding Chris going to piedmont. (though, I'd like to think I wouldn't do anything that crazy without a good reason).

Yes indeed! Thanks, goat-buddy!!!

I have indeed often said that I don't do cliffhangers. And, though I concede that this chapter ended in a slightly tense situation, we don't know for sure what the sheriff has in mind; his next words might very well be, "Let's be nice and teach that guy how to use a camera-phone, he obviously doesn't know how!" 0:)

And yes, we do have a pool party coming up. :devil:

Tu me chies-tu? CJ est amoureux des cliffhangers. Point.

Are you shitting me? CJ loves cliffhangers. Period.

Great job, CJ...you made Betty all violent and hilarious in the same time. :P

Chris will get away with it. My best guess is that Betty will pick up his sorry ass anyway even she said herself she won't do anything. ;)

What? Me, do a cliffhanger? Conner is right; I have often said that I don't do cliffhangers. 0:)

Actually, as a practical matter, there wasn't anywhere I could really break the chapter once Chris went to Piedmont and not have it as a tense ending. :lol:

Glad you liked Betty; she's a little crazy, and a little mean-acting, but has a heart. :)

Edited by C James
  • Site Administrator

C James told us to look at where the chapter title phrase appears in the story, and (assuming he's not trying to misdirect us), I found it intriguing. It is the Peidmont Sheriff talking to Eric, and he says, "If blood weren't thicker than water, I'd kill you myself."

I suppose it is vaguely possible that Eric was adopted -- it hasn't been confirmed one way or another. The other possibility is that Eric is romantically involved with one of the sheriff's relations. With the adoption option, I'm also allowing for the possibility that Eric is Thaddeus's illegitimate son -- which is why they are so much in cahoots.

Strangely, the ending doesn't bother me -- unlike some of the other endings. It seemed to fit the moment perfectly -- just like a flash going off and illuminating/freezing a scene for a moment before the action resumes. :D

I liked Betty in this chapter, and I'll agree with an early comment -- it's one of the best chapters so far. We find out more about what's going on, as well as a lot of action.

Well done! :great:

C James told us to look at where the chapter title phrase appears in the story, and (assuming he's not trying to misdirect us), I found it intriguing. It is the Peidmont Sheriff talking to Eric, and he says, "If blood weren't thicker than water, I'd kill you myself."

I suppose it is vaguely possible that Eric was adopted -- it hasn't been confirmed one way or another. The other possibility is that Eric is romantically involved with one of the sheriff's relations. With the adoption option, I'm also allowing for the possibility that Eric is Thaddeus's illegitimate son -- which is why they are so much in cahoots.

Strangely, the ending doesn't bother me -- unlike some of the other endings. It seemed to fit the moment perfectly -- just like a flash going off and illuminating/freezing a scene for a moment before the action resumes. :D

I liked Betty in this chapter, and I'll agree with an early comment -- it's one of the best chapters so far. We find out more about what's going on, as well as a lot of action.

Well done! :great:

Thanks Graeme!!!!

Nope, I wasn't misdirecting, that line by the Piedmont Sheriff, as we will learn over the next two chapters, is absolutely critical. :)

Regarding Eric's relations, all I can say is that this story is told in a 1st person point of view, so the narrator is Chris, and the story is only what he knows at that point. He can't read minds, so we can't even be sure he knows what Steve knows, though regarding Eric and the Sheriff, Steve knows nothing. I will confirm that Eric isn't adopted.

:)

• Site Administrator
I will confirm that Eric isn't adopted.

SPOILER :thumbdown:

I had this nice fantasy going about why Eric was adopted AND YOU'VE RUINED IT!!! :angry:

I have been very much aware that it's written as 1st person, and that means we only know what Chris knows. It was quite possible that Eric was adopted and Chris simply didn't know. It was even possible that Steve didn't know (given the age difference between them, he may have been very young when it occured, and he's forgotten)... AND NOW MY THEORIES ARE ALL RUINED!!!

My best guess as to what happens next is that Eric grabs the sheriff's gun arm with a comment along the lines of "If you kill him, we may not find out where the real datastick is!"

I'm also guessing that Chris will lose the phone in the resulting chase. Given that we know that the story goes for several chapters more, it is unlikely that firm evidence against the sheriff will be turned over to the LVPD soon. I could be wrong -- it could get there, and the resulting chapters include trying to find the bad guys (who, naturally, have disappeared).

I'm still intrigued by WHAT the sheriff has been up to. $50K of equipment that needs something from that datastick? My new guess is that it contains logins and passwords for some computer system that the sheriff and his companions are going to break into and steal... something. We now know that Blackheart is the one who provided the original (and why he won't replace it), and he's a hacker. We've got confirmation what the second encryption key is -- though the guys have already guessed that and passed the information onto Dex.

We know lots more, but there is still so much that we DON'T know....

OK, maybe doing the police's job is what you've got to do in the Rural West (are wa gonna get a showdown at High Noon in Mainstreet?), but then you may think it over and have some backup. Playing the meddlesome snoop against people who steal parts and pile up carburetors can be dangerous. Betty, who's still a kick-butt character, is as guilty of dumbness as the boys. And nothing has been planned for a retreat or in case anything goes wrong. So will Eric, the non-adopted poor misunderstood little worthless pile of crap save his brother's boyfriend? Stop using drugs? Stop cussing all the time? Go to jail and stay there?

OK, maybe doing the police's job is what you've got to do in the Rural West (are wa gonna get a showdown at High Noon in Mainstreet?), but then you may think it over and have some backup. Playing the meddlesome snoop against people who steal parts and pile up carburetors can be dangerous. Betty, who's still a kick-butt character, is as guilty of dumbness as the boys. And nothing has been planned for a retreat or in case anything goes wrong. So will Eric, the non-adopted poor misunderstood little worthless pile of crap save his brother's boyfriend? Stop using drugs? Stop cussing all the time? Go to jail and stay there?

Eric, poor misunderstood little guy, will do....

Playing the meddlesome snoop, well, as I mentioned a few posts eariler, I have done that due to police inaction, and it worked, so perhaps that influenced me. However, Chris sure went further than I would! I just eavesdropped from a ridgetop on public land, not in the darn building. I've had to do things like that a few times, it's no big deal.

Betty was indeed a dumbass for aiding and abetting Chris' plan. But, as mentioned, she only went along because she knew he'd do something even dumber otherwise; go in his Jeep. However, she could have (and did mention) leaving him locked in the trunk and letting Steve sort him out. (Veronica would have been an even better choice.)

SPOILER :thumbdown:

I had this nice fantasy going about why Eric was adopted AND YOU'VE RUINED IT!!! :angry:

Oops... :ph34r:

I thought that Steve might remember his Mom's pregnancy, but you are right, he'd be way too young given their closeness in ages, and, I just said that Chris might not know all Steve knows.

Please, spare me your spines... I don't wanna be a pincushion!! I'll try and behave... :ph34r::sheep:

I have been very much aware that it's written as 1st person, and that means we only know what Chris knows. It was quite possible that Eric was adopted and Chris simply didn't know. It was even possible that Steve didn't know (given the age difference between them, he may have been very young when it occured, and he's forgotten)... AND NOW MY THEORIES ARE ALL RUINED!!!

Not necessarily... You have a good point on the age difference. They are indeed close enough in age that Steve may not know, though it is covered in the text (sort of) that if Eric is, Steve doesn't know (Steve's of-stated concerns over being "like his brother".)

And, of course, there is one key issue that I haven't mentioned yet

and I won't...

0:)

I'm also guessing that Chris will lose the phone in the resulting chase. Given that we know that the story goes for several chapters more, it is unlikely that firm evidence against the sheriff will be turned over to the LVPD soon. I could be wrong -- it could get there, and the resulting chapters include trying to find the bad guys (who, naturally, have disappeared).

I'm still intrigued by WHAT the sheriff has been up to. $50K of equipment that needs something from that datastick? My new guess is that it contains logins and passwords for some computer system that the sheriff and his companions are going to break into and steal... something. We now know that Blackheart is the one who provided the original (and why he won't replace it), and he's a hacker. We've got confirmation what the second encryption key is -- though the guys have already guessed that and passed the information onto Dex.

We know lots more, but there is still so much that we DON'T know....

I shall give a very small clue:

"Get him, and teach him how to use a camera phone properly!"

"There are many waves in the ocean"

"I have an encyclopedia!"

"Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

At least one of the bolded words appears in Ch 26. 0:)

Edited by C James
  • Site Administrator
So will Eric, the non-adopted poor misunderstood little worthless pile of crap save his brother's boyfriend? Stop using drugs? Stop cussing all the time? Go to jail and stay there?[/font]

These and many other uninteresting and useless questions will be answered in a future chapter of... let's see... ah... who cares anyway?

ROFL!!!

Let me guess -- he held the phone around the wrong way and took a great photo of himself!

ROFL!!!

Let me guess -- he held the phone around the wrong way and took a great photo of himself!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be nice, and mention which word is (though some others might be) in Ch 26:

"it's"

I'll even go further and mention that it's in one of two places: the dialog, or the narration.

0:)

Edit to add: regarding Bondwriter's point above regarding the profanity Eric uses; that's a good point, it does conflict with his goody-two-shoes personality. 0:)

Edited by C James

How could you guys post this much in just a few days?!?

Honestly, a guy gets sidetracked with a few side projects and writing his own chapter and there were like two pages of posts to read. Granted a majority of them had to do with nuts and oranges :wacko: :blink:

Allie, I'll answer your question in the LiS thread...

and Wildone all I have to say is **Stomps Foot** I don't do that anymore... well I mostly dont do that anymore... :devil:

Steve

How could you guys post this much in just a few days?!?

Honestly, a guy gets sidetracked with a few side projects and writing his own chapter and there were like two pages of posts to read. Granted a majority of them had to do with nuts and oranges :wacko: :blink:

Amazing, isn't it, when you consider that I'm a lurker? :ph34r:

But there were only eight mentioning the brain-size issue. :P

and Wildone all I have to say is **Stomps Foot** I don't do that anymore... well I mostly dont do that anymore... :devil:

Shadowgod is evil, I tell ya... Especially those wicked cliffhangers he uses. :P

BTW, to recap a few things; many questions have been raised over the chapters as to why the Sheriff and Thadious would be part of blackmailing teens, and also the cameras. I'd always planned to get this info "out", but I had to "wait" until Chris was in a position to learn it.

And doesn't that Blackheart sound like a nasty piece of work? Pure evil, with a name to match. :devil:

(Of course, it is entirely coincidental that I'm mentioning Blackheart in a reply to Shadowgod's post. 0:) )

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..