Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 255 Words
  • 382 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Sonnets - 63. when

.

Sonnet No. 125

 

I will lay me down one sheet at a time,

For you are master-poet of my heart,

When the humble form of me as your rhyme

Twains a start with an end that will not part.

Only your true words of love are music

To a soul in fear that such things can fade,

For like a beast, I crave the most basic

Strains of but the sweetest joy to be played.

But, alas – now I know I ask too much;

Set me up for a fall I will regret;

Yet hope, damn him, will always seek a touch

To beat back annihilation's hungry threat.

So I circle back to nowhere again –

And perhaps did nothing but drain my pen.

 

 

Sonnet No. 126

 

I want to overrun your defenses,

Rush at your walls till they come tumbling down,

Till my trumpet blast, soft as a murmur says,

You can't resist the greatness of my renown.

In many ways, my boy is now a man,

For pride rises to consider your strength

Like a fatherly boast that it was my plan

To bring you thus far, so you'd go the whole length.

As I storm and win your love and self-control,

You cede to me everything that matters –

Your mind, your heart, and your body and soul,

And there I leave your false fronts in tatters,

Not a victory for me alone,

But for you, it proves how you have grown.

 

_

Copyright © 2018 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love 126; the image of besieged walks tumbling, defenses crumbling, that’s one that sticks to my brain. 
 

Number 125 is tougher to bear, for it makes me feel something of the emptiness of beating back nothingness. 
 

Thank you for these. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I love 126; the image of besieged walks tumbling, defenses crumbling, that’s one that sticks to my brain. 
 

Number 125 is tougher to bear, for it makes me feel something of the emptiness of beating back nothingness. 
 

Thank you for these. 

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on these, Parker. It's greatly appreciated 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..