Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 232 Words
  • 399 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Sonnets - 68. our cypher

.

Sonnet No. 135

 

In our genes is what makes us who we are;

The initials decoded as roadmap

Marks our journey’s path as an avatar,

But in the info’s void, souls overlap.

The Master Geneticist planned it so,

And no Frankenstein tinkering should be

Man’s hubris and bigoted Jim Crow

‘Gainst our Maker’s plan, that they plainly see.

But, you and I can smile in our “D ‘n’ A,”

For you plus me equals God’s distinction,

And His granting of Love upon the day

We wed will be His chart’s true completion.

To the letters that make up you and I,

We have His initials blessing our tie.

 

 

Sonnet No. 136

 

As we trim the tree, let’s take a moment

To act like the kids we feel deep inside,

For sparkle lies between each ornament,

And hand-in-hand, we’ll see its underside.

When a boy, I would lie beneath the tree

So my eyes could drift up the greenwood trunk;

Where blinking lights lit the holiday esprit;

While my cares and woes to the background shrunk.

Lying here now with you, our biceps set

One against the other, your lips whisper:

“I used to do this too, but I won’t forget

This moment and exactly where we were.”

My eyes slowly close on the beauty above,

To treasure your shining kiss of purest love.

 

_

Copyright © 2018 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

How lovely these are. In 136, I can see the soft, sweet lights on the tree, illuminating treasured ornaments - each one telling a story - and feeling the urge to lie down and look up through the branches and gaze at the delights now hanging there. The kiss you share with us in the couplet is the perfect end to this. In 135, you take us to the genetic code, that immutable schematic diagram of ourselves, and of how we were created thus not by our own will, but by providence or chance.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/14/2021 at 1:21 PM, Parker Owens said:

How lovely these are. In 136, I can see the soft, sweet lights on the tree, illuminating treasured ornaments - each one telling a story - and feeling the urge to lie down and look up through the branches and gaze at the delights now hanging there. The kiss you share with us in the couplet is the perfect end to this. In 135, you take us to the genetic code, that immutable schematic diagram of ourselves, and of how we were created thus not by our own will, but by providence or chance.

Thanks for reading and commenting on these, Parker. Your thoughts are always warmly received :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..