Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 246 Words
  • 727 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Sonnets - 69. like bills in a stack

.

Sonnet No. 137

 

The small tree upstairs, we can see from our bed –

Saffron, vermilion, amber and blue lights

Play about your smile; my hand on your head,

As your gaze to me relays their delights.

So, sorrow is out of place, and yet there,

For the number of Christmases we’ll know

Is already set and logged-in somewhere,

And adds a somber cast to the scene’s glow.

You sense what I feel, as you always do;

Caressing my cheek, you say: “It’s all right,”

And there with your love, I know what is true –

The glint of infinity is in sight.

Those colored lights also strobe with our hearts,

And in your eyes, every sadness departs.

 

 

 

Sonnet No. 138

 

My troubles pile up like bills in a stack.

I take the top one and give it release –

Yet it gives no comfort as I fall back

To the mound that only seems to increase.

I may be far from the man that you think,

But my faults you see; my faults you forgive,

And though they sometimes drive you to the brink,

You comfort me with love intuitive.

My limitations you just take in stride,

And remind me of finer qualities –

You gently hint that I’d better not hide

My boundless love ‘neath such frivolities.

Like bills, troubles come and go like the leaves,

But your love pays every debt and reprieves.

 

_

Copyright © 2018 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I liked your metaphor for troubles in number 138. Still more did I like your lover’s voice, reminding you and us who read that there is more to anyone than the highly visible faults we see. In number 137, I can see the multicolored reflections and sense the mixed emotions of acknowledging finite joy, however sweet. I often feel this way in the holiday season, and you give voice to this so well.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/17/2021 at 5:37 PM, Parker Owens said:

I liked your metaphor for troubles in number 138. Still more did I like your lover’s voice, reminding you and us who read that there is more to anyone than the highly visible faults we see. In number 137, I can see the multicolored reflections and sense the mixed emotions of acknowledging finite joy, however sweet. I often feel this way in the holiday season, and you give voice to this so well.

Thank you, Parker. I guess troubles come and go and hopefully there is a constant in one's life to carry them through. I have to say I like the Christmas tree poem very much myself. Thanks again for your support and comments. You're the best :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..