Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 236 Words
  • 328 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Sonnets - 73. dream above the clouds

.

Sonnet No. 145

 

Sometimes the will alone is like flying –

A feathered thing, that soars above our cares –

And the Truth never feels like denying

The one-by-one steps that up-climb Love’s stairs.

On the plane you sleep, with head on my arm,

While out the window, we’re above the clouds,

For in your slumber passes by all harm,

Like a dream ship with cotton candy shrouds.

When you wake, we’ll be on our honeymoon –

Though the destination I’ve kept secret –

Our vows we will re-commit very soon

Where modern lovers, ancient loves beget.

So fly your dreams without care as I keep

Vigil sound to protect you as you sleep.

 

 

Sonnet No. 146

 

What’s inspiration, if not restlessness? –

A mental itch always seeking a scratch

And a way to deal with thoughts in excess

Of feelings binding them in sharp crosshatch.

So here in the early morning quiet,

With my pen bespeaking my impatience,

The fact that I can’t sleep, I try to forget,

With the joy that we are now relations.

For motion’s the better part of movement,

And the patterns I lay down have momentum –

For the present with the future has blent,

And my actions speak, though my tongue is dumb.

You and I have overlaid heart and soul,

And that design I’ve no wish to control.

 

 

_

Copyright © 2018 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh, jealousy, you know me well... your opening stanza to number 145 is one for me to envy. Such a wonderful image. You make me wish I were traveling with you.

In number 146, it’s the couplet that got to me, and the pen’s impatient scratch. 

Thank you for these!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/31/2021 at 12:06 AM, Parker Owens said:

Oh, jealousy, you know me well... your opening stanza to number 145 is one for me to envy. Such a wonderful image. You make me wish I were traveling with you.

In number 146, it’s the couplet that got to me, and the pen’s impatient scratch. 

Thank you for these!

Thank you, Parker. The flying sonnet is pretty successful, in my humbled (disinterested way, lol). Thanks for singling it out. And yes, scratch, scratch, scratch -- like the chick in Ahab's head wanting to get out.... 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..