Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 237 Words
  • 1,495 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Sonnets - 53. Andrew Wyeth, and "bundled in grayness"

.

Sonnet No. 105

 

Bundled in grayness, clouds become your coat –

You step out into the autumn's day and

Cast eyes skyward; tug a scarf 'round your throat –

For here conserved warmth takes the season's stand.

I love to see you prepped, just like a child,

Going out for a day of harvest work,

With clothes rigid, but with expression mild,

For apple-picking time we must not shirk.

And later, with our fruit and our labor,

Sweet cinnamon will lace our pies and sauce

So that our smiles and flatware may savor

Feeding the other by scooping his gloss.

So the day begins, and already ends;

Smiles and bright moods sheer happiness portends.

 

 

Sonnet No. 106

 

Safe in the folds of fiery autumn's glitter,

A painter nestled his private studio,

Where over and over he had one sitter

Gaze the landscape, while he built her folio.

'Helga,' for whom this shack was built, gazes out,

With the serenity only Love sees,

And will always live in His vision devout,

Though the world burn up, or totally freeze.

So too I cast about with words my paint

To reflect upon you, with reflected grace,

The hope the future won't think these are faint,

But through Love will be able to see your face.

Hills may yet roll, in the ever-shifting fire,

But return perennial, to new inspire.

 

 

Copyright © 2018 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well I am smitten by these two sonnets. They speak to me of autumn and richness and breadth of color and taste. For though it is titled in grey, the first sonnet is anything but that. You reveal to us scents and flavors and experiences in the harvest and the feast in Number 105. In 106, you bring us love at the end of a paintbrush, and yearning to create that same kind of love at the end of your pen. It’s wonderfully done. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

These are exquisite poems, AC. I love Andrew Wyeth's work, and you've breathed new life into his Helga  paintings with your sonnet. A beautiful tribute,  and I love the quote you provided in the comments. 

As for Sonnet no. 105, I can taste and feel the crispness of the season and the fruit. 

Wonderfully done, each one. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for both of these .. they are fresh air and love; two things much needed this day.  Your sonnet's are paintings; these are the world through your eyes and it is wonderful.

Thanks also for the extra details ..i love when poets add more like this.. like we're talking over coffee, xo

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Wyeth also captured in a portrait, his neighbor who had polio.There’s a story there about her just living life as if she wasn’t sick,  so now after reading your quote from him, I can fully understand why he was drawn to paint her. 

 

Both really wonderful sonnets, AC.  I’m glad I read these this morning.. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

they're lovely AC
i can feel the chill in the first 4 lines of the first one

but now, i must google this artist and the works you reference because i don't know them

thanks, AC as always xo

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 4/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, Parker Owens said:

Well I am smitten by these two sonnets. They speak to me of autumn and richness and breadth of color and taste. For though it is titled in grey, the first sonnet is anything but that. You reveal to us scents and flavors and experiences in the harvest and the feast in Number 105. In 106, you bring us love at the end of a paintbrush, and yearning to create that same kind of love at the end of your pen. It’s wonderfully done. 

Thank you, Parker. There are reasons why autumn has always been my favorite time of year. I still have memories of going apple picking :)

Almost like a scented memory as well, I can remember being in my first year of college when the Helga paintings (and others) were released. Her likeness graced the covers of several magazines at once, and everyone admired the emotional realness of the work.

Thanks again, my friend, for leaving me great feedback. I appreciate it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/29/2019 at 4:06 PM, MacGreg said:

These are exquisite poems, AC. I love Andrew Wyeth's work, and you've breathed new life into his Helga  paintings with your sonnet. A beautiful tribute,  and I love the quote you provided in the comments. 

As for Sonnet no. 105, I can taste and feel the crispness of the season and the fruit. 

Wonderfully done, each one. 

Thank you, Mac! I think once in a generation or so, work like Wyeth's private collection comes to light, but at such times we are reminded about true art. That is art that just speaks directly to the heart and soul and leaves all debate about style, school or influence as moot nattering.

Thank you again for reading these and leaving me your thoughts. I really enjoy your impressions of my work.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 4/30/2019 at 3:49 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Thank you for both of these .. they are fresh air and love; two things much needed this day.  Your sonnets are paintings; these are the world through your eyes and it is wonderful.

Thanks also for the extra details ..i love when poets add more like this.. like we're talking over coffee, xo

Thank you, Tim! I always value getting your opinion. I think I do have to agree with you that this particular stretch of the Tony Sonnets is very painterly in style. As I was writing them, I noticed certain themes encamp themselves in groups. Like the 50s I think of as the Architectural group. The ones from about 105 to 115 are impressionistic, I guess starting with the Zhivago poem...

Thanks again for all your support!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/1/2019 at 4:45 AM, Defiance19 said:

Wyeth also captured in a portrait, his neighbor who had polio.There’s a story there about her just living life as if she wasn’t sick,  so now after reading your quote from him, I can fully understand why he was drawn to paint her. 

 

Both really wonderful sonnets, AC.  I’m glad I read these this morning.. 

Thank you for reading them, Def. The more I see Wyeth's work, the more I can appreciate it. He connected with his subjects, and it shows deeply in his paintings. He was also fond of painting a particular teenage neighbor of his. You can always tell it's him by his oversized and tatty WW2 army-surplus coat. A poster of one of these pictures -- the one where the boy is roasting chestnuts by the side of the road in autumn -- is hanging in my office :)

Thanks again for reading and commenting -- muah ❤️

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/1/2019 at 6:44 PM, mollyhousemouse said:

they're lovely AC
i can feel the chill in the first 4 lines of the first one

but now, i must google this artist and the works you reference because i don't know them

thanks, AC as always xo

 

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts, Molly :) These sonnets are special to me, so to hear that they connect with others too in a meaningful way is always welcomed news. Muah~~~

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..